Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 1,987 times

Advertisements

Bit new to this whole thing. So a bit about this vehicle.

Nissan Titan 2005

Parked for the winter months in Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula and outside so it gets cold.

The Truck was in good conduction when parked. Truck had a quarter of a tank full of gas when parked.

Battery has been charged and the truck started up.

Can I please have any tips on what I should look out for and check before driving the truck. Please and Thank you.

I've been told to watch for any leaks that might have happened in the winter and that I need to change the oil and check fluids.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and offer help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 04:49 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
take it easy on the brakes.. Could have a glaze/rust on them which will quickly wear off.. But you don't want the first time you hit the brakes to have to be the time they're at their best.

I'd probably have an oil change done rather quickly.. Not that it'd be required, but.. good thing to do. Close enough to time.

If it's going to be set up again. Check your coolant and make sure the protection level is still right on it.

But.. 7 months isn't much, really.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:52 PM

Thank you I've heard of people parking longer but a few people I have talked to had me start to worry. This is my 1st time ever parking a vehicle longer than a month.

Much appreciated for your quick response.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:52 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
If you park it again best to have full tank of gas with stabil added.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:58 PM

Yeah I feel a bit silly for not knowing about that before parking it for so long. Thanks to this site haha I have learned a few things Thank you

Old 05-25-2016, 08:05 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
I wouldn't really be alarmed if it intermittently runs a little rough or has a few hiccups the first few days back on the road with it but otherwise I wouldn't expect any problems.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
If it was cold and stayed cold, you'll probably be alright. That's actually better than warming up and getting cold again. In areas where the roads are salted, parking something in the garage is worse than leaving it out in the winter as the rust actually gets worse in a warm garage. As long as the coolant and battery didn't freeze you should be good to go. As someone else said just take it easy for the first few miles. Maybe get the fluids changed.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
seven months is not a big deal for modern engines, the fuel on the other hand is getting rather old, but still usable.

first thing i would do is make sure all the fluids are at their proper levels, and in good condition.

next i would make sure the battery had a full charge before starting.

you might want to use a touch of starting fluid to help the engine kick over. remember though you dont need much.

make sure your electrical connections are clean and tight, especially the battery connections.

when you start the engine, let it idle, just feather the throttle as needed to keep it running until you get oil pressure. let it idle until the engine starts to get a little heat going, then take it out for a drive to get the engine and drive train warmed up. you need to be out for at least thirty minutes so the moisture that built up while the truck was down gets burned off.

and i agree with being very careful with the brakes for the first couple of stops. the other thing you need to do is make sure you have a good pedal before you go out and drive the truck.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:08 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangirly View Post
Bit new to this whole thing. So a bit about this vehicle.

Nissan Titan 2005

Parked for the winter months in Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula and outside so it gets cold.

The Truck was in good conduction when parked. Truck had a quarter of a tank full of gas when parked.

Battery has been charged and the truck started up.

Can I please have any tips on what I should look out for and check before driving the truck. Please and Thank you.

I've been told to watch for any leaks that might have happened in the winter and that I need to change the oil and check fluids.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and offer help.
I have a very old F-150 truck parked in the backyard (I live in Fairbanks). Around September I park the truck and prepare it for winter. I keep the tanks from 1/4 to 1/2 full, add fuels stabilizer, and run the motor for a few minutes using fuel from both tanks, then turn it off, remove the battery from the truck and put it on a trickle charger/maintainer in the garage.

Then in May the following year I reinstall the battery, crank the motor long enough to allow for fuel to fill the carburetor's bowl and start, run it for about 15 minutes, turn it off, and replace the oil and filter.
-------------

Change the oil and filter, fill the tank with new gasoline, add a can of SeaFoam to the fuel, and drive the truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive