Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:11 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

Service Engine Soon, Brake ABS, Other Icon and Middle Yellow icon

Does it mean I need new brakes ? How long can I drive before brakes go bad ? What good websites to buy new brakes and rotors

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 09:37 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Traction control. All are probably related to each other. Best to take it to a repair shop to have it checked out. Probably either the ABS or possibly a wheel sensor is bad.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:40 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,078,805 times
go invest in a OBD II reader since you are implying you are skilled enough to do your own brakes & rotor. Also invest in Bentley manual if your car is a keeper. Save you big $$$$ over time

Old 05-26-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Traction control. All are probably related to each other. Best to take it to a repair shop to have it checked out. Probably either the ABS or possibly a wheel sensor is bad.
I need new wheel sensor and brakes ?

Old 05-26-2016, 10:38 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
No. You need to FIND OUT EXACTLY what is going on, BEFORE replacing parts. It may be something as simple as low brake fluid. Brake related lights tend to come up in packs for one single issue.
So at least drive to a parts store and have someone scope error codes with scanner. If it does not pick any codes, then you need OBD2 scanner with ABS/CAN BUS capability. That one will read ABS and brake codes. If it's "bad sensor" they are sometimes corroded or simply dirty and can be cleaned.
Start with checking brake fluid level.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
As suggested. Best to hook car up to reader first. If your BMW is an older one, you should be able to do a lot of maintenance without getting into having to obtain software.

I have gotten BMW parts from

https://www.getbmwparts.com/
Pelican Parts.com - Parts, Accessories and Technical Information for all BMW Automobiles.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
No. You need to FIND OUT EXACTLY what is going on, BEFORE replacing parts. It may be something as simple as low brake fluid. Brake related lights tend to come up in packs for one single issue.
So at least drive to a parts store and have someone scope error codes with scanner. If it does not pick any codes, then you need OBD2 scanner with ABS/CAN BUS capability. That one will read ABS and brake codes. If it's "bad sensor" they are sometimes corroded or simply dirty and can be cleaned.
Start with checking brake fluid level.
I just did they said I need brake replacements

Old 05-26-2016, 11:38 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I just did they said I need brake replacements
Find out if it's front or rear and replace it. Pads rotors and sensor. Yes all three

Don't you just love German cars. Dash lights up like a Christmas tree, and you ll be spending like its Christmas

Old 05-26-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Find out if it's front or rear and replace it. Pads rotors and sensor. Yes all three

Don't you just love German cars. Dash lights up like a Christmas tree, and you ll be spending like its Christmas

Front brakes need replaced and rear brakes need new rotors, possible new ABS senor cable/ brake PAD sensor. I wonder if abs senor cable/brake pad go on both tires ? Yea BMWs are nice but labor workis $$$ but I have family member do my brakes for me.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Front brakes need replaced and rear brakes need new rotors, possible new ABS senor cable/ brake PAD sensor. I wonder if abs senor cable/brake pad go on both tires ? Yea BMWs are nice but labor workis $$$ but I have family member do my brakes for me.
That depends. On 3 series. One sensor front. One sensor rear.
5 and 7 series has sensor at each wheel

That's what I recall. If the sensor hasn't been damage. You can clean it and reuse it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive