Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:25 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,078,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
It's unbelievable that some people are blaming buyer rather than dealer who sold a car with check light covered with tape. I can understand if car died next day but there was no prior history or even if there was no effort was made to hide it. But this is far from it. It doesn't matter if the previous owner of this car had put the tape on it - once it goes to dealer they must check everything or atleast BS like this. This kind of dealer should be put out of business.
It's a used 16 year old euro trash car that cost about somewhere around $50k new that is now being sold for $4500. The guy could have bought a nice used Corolla, Civic, Accord or Camry, but rolled the dice on something that would send anyone with common sense running to the hills or seeking out a PPI.

Cars that once cost $50k still have $50k car problems news at 11
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 03:05 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,480,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
It's a used 16 year old euro trash car that cost about somewhere around $50k new that is now being sold for $4500. The guy could have bought a nice used Corolla, Civic, Accord or Camry, but rolled the dice on something that would send anyone with common sense running to the hills or seeking out a PPI.

I agree - I wouldn't buy what he did even if it was in perfect shape. However, what he bought is not relevant - this is simply about how dishonest this dealer is. It's amazing they can do something like this and can get away with this and people seem to have no issues.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:10 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,121,230 times
Quote:
I agree - I wouldn't buy what he did even if it was in perfect shape. However, what he bought is not relevant - this is simply about how dishonest this dealer is. It's amazing they can do something like this and can get away with this and people seem to have no issues.
Not a single person here is defending the dealer. The issue is the buyer did not have the car checked before he bought it. When starting up the car, he should have noticed that the check engine light was not illuminating. That would be a huge red flag. Issue #2 is the buyer not having the car checked out by any one before they bought it. You can't assume that just because a dealer is selling it that the car is free from defects. This dealer IS a scum bag, and has a very shady past. However the buyer did not do his homework before they bought the car.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:01 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,078,427 times
Quote:
Would help if y'all knew the part of town. I happen to live about twenty miles up the road. I looked up the used car lot in question, there are many similar nearby one step on the wrong side of "shady." That whole area, and Hwy 99 in general (nearby), are about shady activities to the nth power the twenty years I've lived here (buy here/pay here car lots, hookers, nail salons, pawn shops, other white trash garbage). Buying anything from any of them is just not too clever, those are ghetto cars from who knows where with who knows what history.

Wouldn't buy a used car without running a OBD-II scanner across it myself. Nor without a PPI. Buying a BMW without one is twice as stupid. In contrast, bought a used Porsche from a NON-shady dealer around here in 2011, dealer fixed up a few issues prior to sale (and one that cropped up right after), car ran great for five years up to and including when I traded it back to the same dealer two months ago. Everybody knew what was what, in terms of service history and previous owners. That's the difference between "dodgy" and otherwise.

Maybe I'm the only one who reads Yelp and online brand-specific forums in this town.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:37 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,078,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

Maybe I'm the only one who reads Yelp
Yelp is nothing more than legalized extortion.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:21 AM

9,121 posts, read 14,660,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
While test driving, it is good to connect an OBD reader to detect any codes, or take it to a mechanic and have it completely checked out. Caution if the dealer says they already checked everything out and present a checklist. That is to deter you from having it inspected.
Exactly. You can buy OBD readers for under $30 that would instantly tell you if something was wrong. If I were shopping a used car now, I'd definitely bring mine as the first step for any used car I looked at. Probably would still want an independent inspection if it passed though.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:06 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,219,776 times
Seeing that it's a BMW (junk), duct tape over the CEL is probably the only way to fix it. LOL

Old 05-31-2016, 01:37 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,286,046 times
In states where there is an OBDII smog check, this vehicle would not have passed and the owner would have had a recourse.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:32 AM

8,610 posts, read 10,977,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

used Corolla, Civic, Accord & Camry is reasonably close to the same price as a used BMW. The buyer was a dummy for not doing his due diligence on a auto purchase.

My buddy purchased a used BMW which had 80k on the odo...for about 8 grand. He had it thoroughly checked out. Fast fwd to today, he has 170k on the odo....car is running strong. Just a few fixes at those high mileages...shocks & water pump.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:27 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,834,468 times
I once bought a Chev S10 from a large public Auction place that had Police confiscated cars along with others.

They announced at the beginning all vehicles would be Smog passed to complete any purchase bid....great I thought.

35 mlles going home the Check Engine light came on. I freaked and pulled over on the Fwy.

Later on when pulling the dash guage housing did find a bulb missing and later nothing but problems with the smog system. The truck had been apparently been used by a construction company as a two way radio had been originally inside the cab while there was a couple of wheel barrels of gravel still in the bed at purchase time. I'm thinking the truck was taken during a Drug bust by the Police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive