Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:38 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpartialBias View Post
You clearly don't know much about high performance sports cars then.

Reliability was never much of a consideration for a high performance car, and it has been long accepted that the lesser reliability you get from them was an accepted trade off for the performance you get when they are running right.

It's really only been in the last decade (and really just about the last 5 years) where manufacturers have stepped up their game by offering performance cars that offer decent reliability. Knocking the Tesla because it can't deliver Ludicrous mode 24/7 is a stupid argument to make and unrealistic to boot.
No, I clearly know a lot about performance cars. I'm talking about completing a lap around a race track not hobbling back, not its day to day reliability. Anybody can design specifically for their favorite performance metric and ignore the others, but that doesn't make it a performanc car. A performance car does everything well.

Tesla's battery technology has the same limitations as everybody else's. They've just managed to pack more of them and coincidently charge more for it. There's things Tesla does well, but performance isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
2016 Volt Beats Model S 85 To 30 MPH - Gas 2

Volt beats Model S85 to 30mph. In fact even a Prius in full EV can go toe to toe with a Tesla from 0-30mph. This is more likely because Tesla Model S weighs much more than both Prius and Volt.

But once Tesla is off the line it provides much more power on all 4 wheels.

In a decade from now, muscle cars only bought by old school people. Just about every company will have a performance hybrid or EV that will surpass the performance of gas cars.

Porsche and Audi both developing performance EVs, an electric 911 would be amazing.
I remember reading that about hybrids two decades ago. Still waiting for the hybrid F-150 to hit mainstream. What people forget is not all technology is scalable, regardless of how it performs in certain market segments.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:02 AM

772 posts, read 935,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
No, I clearly know a lot about performance cars. I'm talking about completing a lap around a race track not hobbling back, not its day to day reliability.

No, you really don't know a lot about performance cars.

Do you even know what type of vehicle segment Tesla's cars compete in? Apparently you don't to be making such absurd arguments.

The Model S is a 4 door sedan that seats SEVEN. It does 0-60 in 2.8 seconds with the P90D, and it costs around $115k.

So tell me, since you know so much about performance cars... how many vehicles out there are beating it from 0-60?

Oh, never mind, I don't expect you to get my question right so I'll help.

You've got the Bugatti Veyron and upcoming Chiron which will do it in 2.5 or so. How many seats do they have? 2. And of course, it's a supercar that costs $1million+. You've also got the Porsche 918, LaFerrari, and possibly the McLaren 650S. They're all very expensive, costing at least 3 times as much.

The Porsche 911 Turbo will do 0-60 in 2.6. It seats 4. It costs $150k+

The Nissan GTR will do it in 2.7. It seats 4. It costs $130k.

No SUV or sedan built can beat the Tesla in this PERFORMANCE metric, and of the 5-6 cars that can beat it, they're all more expensive.

Bottom line, if you don't think Tesla performance is impressive, especially considering IT'S NOT EVEN A SPORTS CAR! then you really haven't got a clue.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post

No, you really don't know a lot about performance cars.

Do you even know what type of vehicle segment Tesla's cars compete in? Apparently you don't to be making such absurd arguments.

The Model S is a 4 door sedan that seats SEVEN. It does 0-60 in 2.8 seconds with the P90D, and it costs around $115k.

So tell me, since you know so much about performance cars... how many vehicles out there are beating it from 0-60?

Oh, never mind, I don't expect you to get my question right so I'll help.

You've got the Bugatti Veyron and upcoming Chiron which will do it in 2.5 or so. How many seats do they have? 2. And of course, it's a supercar that costs $1million+. You've also got the Porsche 918, LaFerrari, and possibly the McLaren 650S. They're all very expensive, costing at least 3 times as much.

The Porsche 911 Turbo will do 0-60 in 2.6. It seats 4. It costs $150k+

The Nissan GTR will do it in 2.7. It seats 4. It costs $130k.

No SUV or sedan built can beat the Tesla in this PERFORMANCE metric, and of the 5-6 cars that can beat it, they're all more expensive.

Bottom line, if you don't think Tesla performance is impressive, especially considering IT'S NOT EVEN A SPORTS CAR! then you really haven't got a clue.
Thanks for the very predictable response. Tesla fanboys are no different than any other fanboy when it comes from picking their favorite performance attribute and over exaggerating it. It doesn't matter if it's a Hellcat, a supercharged F-150 with nitrous, or a Civic SI with a turbo kit... Just pick your favorite attribute (yours is solely 0-60 apparently) then brag that it's technically faster than a $1M Bugatti while keeping it to 0-60, 0-30, 30-100, quarter mile times...whatever fits your narrative, but conveniently ignore the fact that a Buggati can also do 250+mph. A minivan can finish a lap at Nurburgring without limping home, so by that metric, Tesla still sucks. Don't pretend you know a lot about performance because you watch a bunch of Tesla propaganda YouTube videos.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:24 PM

772 posts, read 935,184 times
Quote:
Thanks for the very predictable response. Tesla fanboys are no different than any other fanboy when it comes from picking their favorite performance attribute and over exaggerating it. It doesn't matter if it's a Hellcat, a supercharged F-150 with nitrous, or a Civic SI with a turbo kit... Just pick your favorite attribute (yours is solely 0-60 apparently) then brag that it's technically faster than a $1M Bugatti while keeping it to 0-60, 0-30, 30-100, quarter mile times...whatever fits your narrative, but conveniently ignore the fact that a Buggati can also do 250+mph. A minivan can finish a lap at Nurburgring without limping home, so by that metric, Tesla still sucks. Don't pretend you know a lot about performance because you watch a bunch of Tesla propaganda YouTube videos.
Thanks for proving you still have no clue what you're talking about.

Tesla Model S P85 Onboard At Nürburgring: Video | car News @ Top Speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dphw4km60m4

Old 05-31-2016, 12:29 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times
Tesla Model X 0-60 mph 3.3 seconds
Tesla Model X rear Falcon door opening 5.5 seconds
Tesla Model X rear Flacon door closing 6 seconds
Numbers are from Car and Driver magazine road test

I think I could live with a longer 0-60 time and shorter rear door opening and closing times.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Nice! That's puts it just around the times posted by the Cobalt SS and Focus RS. Nice to be in such company with these exotics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...eife_lap_times

Old 05-31-2016, 01:55 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
^ That's an amateur driving that Tesla on the 'ring, not a professional driver.

In the hands of a good driver I'd say it would be around the low 8 minute mark.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:56 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Anybody can make something really quick for a short amount of time.
Drag racing is one form of motorsports, and it is entirely about a very brief but aggressive burst of performance. If a comparatively mainstream car can post quarter-mile times once reserved for a purpose-built dragster (trailered to/from the track), then that's a considerable achievement, whether the car in question is electric or gas-powered or diesel or whatever else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In a decade from now, muscle cars only bought by old school people. Just about every company will have a performance hybrid or EV that will surpass the performance of gas cars.
I doubt that performance-cars powered by fossil fuels will become obsolete. But I certainly do welcome application of electric technology to light-weight, small sporty cars - of the type with which Tesla itself began, but which it abandoned.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

I doubt that performance-cars powered by fossil fuels will become obsolete
It will happen, its just a matter of when. 10/15/20+ years down the line, who knows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive