Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:06 AM

9,612 posts, read 21,161,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I guess Ohioans are just good pumpers, because I don't ever recall seeing someone have such a hard time at a pump.
Same goes for Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri, I guess, because I've never run into that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:10 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,436,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Your loss. Gas is about 5 to 10 cents a gallon cheaper in Oregon then Washington. But hey, if you want to pay more, get no customer service, and sit in line longer while some idiot tries to figure out how to swipe their credit card, go for it.
No it at all...

The first time I drove to Seattle I stopped near Roseburg late at night to tank... the station was lit and I pulled in... was not even thinking about Oregon no self service... I was waiting and did not see anyone... got out and started pumping my gas...

All of a sudden someone starts yelling and rushing towards me like a madman flailing his arms... I thought the place was getting robbed the way he came running out of the office... as he got closer it was one cuss or disparaging word after another against Californians...

Never in my life have I been treated this way as a customer anywhere... looking back the guy is lucky I didn't flatten him... a madman running at me at 1 in the morning.

Sometimes it only takes one bad experience and that is enough.

I mentioned my experience to the guys in my old Model A Ford Club and learned one of the Model A's in my club was damaged by a Oregon station attendant... Model A's are filled from the top of a gravity tank below the windshield and with new pumps you need to compress the nozzle bellows with one hand and carefully meter with the flow with the other... this idiot or imbecile just shoved the nozzle in and put a big gouge across the paint...

There is a lot more more to it than the price of fuel.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-07-2016 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-07-2016, 01:39 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,654,055 times
You really don't have enough to worry about if this is bothering you.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:17 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Our local station just leaves their pumps on all night. Try to fill up late at night. Never any line, no one to bother you at all. It can be difficult because they turn off the lights, but leave the pumps on, so it is hard to see the buttons to push. However since no one else is around, you are not holding anyone up.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:28 PM

8,260 posts, read 6,321,526 times
I go to a big church that has a Tuesday morning seniors group.
For the ultimate in slow moving and indecision you ought to see the line at our potluck table.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:31 AM

32,783 posts, read 36,033,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Can't say I've ever seen this myself. Full serve stations seem to be going the way of the dinosaur here. Most stations are self serve, and most of the time people seem to know what they are doing.

Only time I see anyone have issue is a car with NJ license plates
Riiiight. Do you think that's why, in most instances, that they're required to pay to leave the state?

Old 06-09-2016, 07:41 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,644,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Riiiight. Do you think that's why, in most instances, that they're required to pay to leave the state?
That's just NJ - if there's a way to charge a fee for it, NJ will do it.

When we're all driving electric cars, NJ will have someone in charge of plugging them in for us.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:46 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,554,130 times
Only thing I'm confused about is the wild fluctuations UP in price. Yet the prices going down seem to predictably fall in price....Yes, I've had it explained to me why the drift down, but the rocket up in prices and why stations need to do that...And the bottom line is they are a business and have to react how they can.

Still....if a camel farts in the desert prices shoot up over night. If oil is discovered in my backyard, prices nudge down a penny a day...

Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,902,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Okay, then at least we know that Oregon apparently takes a very stringent approach to the enforcement of their gas pumping regulations. In NJ, the statute exists, but nobody has EVER been penalized for pumping his own gas in NJ.

I was in Oregon a few weeks ago ignorant of the law and a clerk literally forced the pump out of my hand.

But on a few occasions I went to a station that had no clerks at all.

One perk is that the gas stations in Oregon were spotless. Issue was I don't like the feel of the nanny state they have. Leave me alone.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,436,291 times
Maybe they need mandatory customer service training in Oregon?

The attendant that came charging at me like a foul mouth madman at midnight wouldn't last long in my hometown of Oakland California... just a fact.

I had already started to fuel... so nothing was accomplished by his rave and flailing... as said previously... my first thought was the station was being robbed!

People just don't act that way unless they are mentally unbalanced.

He knew I was not a local because of his rant against Californians most probably from my license plate.

Every years several friends and co-workers move to Oregon... Medford, Grants Pass, Roseburg, Beaverton, Portland... all have commented on quirks they noticed settling in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive