Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:21 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Holy ***** you shouldn't even have purchased a new Kia. Christ compounding poor financial decisions with more poor decisions
So that poster bought a car she really wanted and apparently had the means to do so? Not the end of the world.

I could have just gotten along just fine with a nice '08 Accord that I had (yes it had a note on it) but I was bored of the thing. I traded it in for a '15 Nissan Rogue I fell in love with. I pay more for the note but it actually get better mileage than Accord I had and probably won't have to do any major maintainence to it for a couple of years, so it is paying for itself in some fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 08:26 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I'm dying to replace my old lemon of a Corolla with something larger and more fun. Got this crate used and have put thousands into it, and now it needs a couple thousand more. But to leverage myself for $30K+ for the next 36-48 months? That just sounds foolhardy in these uncertain times.

Anything can happen; you can become injured and unable to work, you could be sued and have crushing legal bills, have to care for a sick relative, etc. The stock market could crash and take your livelihood and your retirement fund with it.

Not a good idea to be in debt. Folks, don't listen to some voice on a chatboard telling you how great life is with a $600/month car payment. Hold onto that clunker for another year or two and at least save up for a larger down payment. Work a second job if you have to. Your future self will thank you for your sudden onset of common sense.
Um you know you can just replace the Corolla with a sensible used car like a newer Corolla right? You definitely don't have to spend $30k just to replace something.

Also, far as the sick and unemployed excuse, most financers (I know credit unions for sure) offer payment protection that will kick in and pay the payments for you if that happens.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:20 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
So that poster bought a car she really wanted and apparently had the means to do so? Not the end of the world.

I could have just gotten along just fine with a nice '08 Accord that I had (yes it had a note on it) but I was bored of the thing. I traded it in for a '15 Nissan Rogue I fell in love with. I pay more for the note but it actually get better mileage than Accord I had and probably won't have to do any major maintainence to it for a couple of years, so it is paying for itself in some fashion.

The new car actually isn't paying for itself in some fashion. That's a terribly ignorant way of ignoring reality to justify a decision

Old 06-04-2016, 10:03 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
30k car is 500 a month?

You can lease a 60k car for $500 a month. Much funner, always drive a car under warranty.
Why lease a $60k in the first place? Some people wonder why they're running towards retirement with a pantry full of Alpo.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:34 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
LOL at Chloe who is contemptuous of someone for deferring gratification. This in a nutshell is what's wrong with Americans today--no self-control, gotta have it all now, preferably on credit. This is much like the mentality of the late 1920s, and we all know how that turned out.

The difference today is a president and Congress full of politicians who enable this behavior by bailing people out of their own stupid mistakes. Obama is actually talking about "forgiving" (i.e., making the taxpayers pay for) student loans. Those of us who worked hard to pay off our own loans now have to pay for others'.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:44 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,461 times
I drive a 79 Thunderbird I bought in April 02 for $900. And I only drive around a thousand miles a year. I'll survive a downturn just fine.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:52 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
But all would be OK had I bought the $20k KIA right? I did want it now... and there's nothing wrong with that. Like the article says... $30k is what it takes to get into a decent vehicle nowadays. Not all of us want to drive KIAs and smart cars. Can I quote you from the other thread?

Pretty interesting eh?

Like I just said, not all of us want to drive KIAs and smart cars. It's not about being "better" but i assure you the resale value on this car is MUCH HIGHER than any Kia.

For the record, my FICO at time of purchase was 713... so you're right... my "bad credit" got me the "outrageous" 4%...

You're right, I'm not putting aside this money for a house. Do you know the housing market in Seattle metro? Of course you don't... you live in Illinois. So let me clue you in. Median house price in Seattle... $550k. The guy down the street bought a 1970's home recently... 2 BR 1 BA... 850 sq ft... $225k.

Or I can look at the cheaper 1950's homes in Bellevue with the flat roof that are better off torn down that are going for upwards of $300k...

Quit lecturing me when you haven't a clue. And no... I don't need a CD troll to validate my big expenditures.

For now yes. I have $27k at age 42... it's not much I know but that's what I get for waiting till I was in my late 30's.

I know, I know... I should have paid cash for the car or bought a home.... oh wait, $27k isn't enough to put down on a shack in the ghetto in this
state.

... and as I said upthread... both are fine. I can respect your decision not to buy a new car... and won't bash you because you chose to go that route.

It's unfortunate that others can't do the same.
Holy moly, 42 years old and only $27k to your name????? You should not buy any car that loses more than $1k in value per year.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
30k car is 500 a month?

You can lease a 60k car for $500 a month. Much funner, always drive a car under warranty.
I don't get this obsession with warranties, honestly. It is extremely rare for a well-maintained modest car to be running up $6k in repair bills in a year.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

"Having the means" does NOT entail being 42 years old with only 6 months' pay of retirement savings.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:51 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Why lease a $60k in the first place? Some people wonder why they're running towards retirement with a pantry full of Alpo.
There may be - for some people - a good answer to that question.

If you are fairly well off, and if you have the desire to drive a new car, and if you don't really drive much it may come out cheaper to lease a car if you use a prepaid lease. Or maybe just more convenient.

A prepaid lease is paid off completely up front.
(1) Negotiate a sale price. 60K
(2) Determine what the car will be worth to the dealer at the end of the lease. (50K)
(3) Pay up the difference (10K)
(4) Drive off.

Oversimplified, yes, but there are some people who simply prefer to do business like that. Use the car, take care of it, and turn it in when you are done.
When you look at the figures you will be surprised how much is saved when you compare a prepaid lease with a traditional lease, where all sorts of nonsensical items are tacked on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive