Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 02:21 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times

Advertisements

What is the one that Carroll Shelby endorsed about a decade back. Some kind of oil additive, and their gimmick was they drained the oil from a car after adding this magical additive, and then ran it all day at the race track, and the engine was perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 02:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
i have a book written back in the mid 70s on improving fuel economy. there was a line in the book that said;

"you have to be careful adding items that improve fuel economy, because you may add so many that you start making fuel, which creates a fire hazard as the fuel backs up out of the tank. this is not a problem though if you also install parts that improve performance as well allowing the car to accelerate to 300 mph in 3 seconds easily outrunning the fire."

also note that any of the add ons that these people sell improve fuel economy up to what ever percentage they choose. that way they get around the truth in advertising laws.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:36 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,479,051 times
Spark plugs are another gimmick. Some may had a tiny bit of horsepower or gas mileage, but I'd stick with OEM when it came time to change plugs.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:02 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
...the wooden bead seat cover.

Jim B.
I use this in the summer, keeps my back from sweating.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:58 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I think the problem with K&N air filters is that people don't know how to properly wash and lube them.

The 1st time I washed and lubed, I thought I was fine (the filter looked good to go), but I left it on a plastic bag on my bathroom counter. The next morning when I was going to install the filter before work, there was a pool of the pinkish lube sitting there. I way over lubed the thing and all of that oil would have gone into my air intake system.

It looked fine, but was way to oily. If I had put that in, I would have hated my K&N, but was lucky and always wait a night before putting the lubed filter back into the car.
Lube isn't going to really hurt anything other than maybe your MAF. The problem is K&N filters let in several times as much particulates as paper filters. Particularly if you're driving a turbocharged car or in the dirt, really think twice about using an oiled filter. Either way they really don't do anything except wear your engine out faster. They do flow better which isn't an issue on most cars at all anyway but aren't as good at filtering, which is the point of a filter. Paper>K&N>no filter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive