Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 10:41 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Nice sample size. I have a buddy that ONLY works on Japanese cars. Guess which cars come in on the hook more often?

If they were are as reliable as you claim he couldn't make a living off of specializing in them. Sorry.
Someone has to do brakes, oil changes, flushes. Non DIY people will take it to a shop for those things. Plus you know how many Japanese cars are out there? Of course there is a market for them just for maintenance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 11:55 AM

469 posts, read 576,986 times
Good thing Lexus are so reliable, I think that's why they're so low on the list, because it damn sure isn't because of cheap parts. They are as much, and in some cases, more expensive than some of the luxury European cars in that category. Being that they hardly ever break though, I guess they have to make their money somewhere. I'm not surprised KIA is so high either. There's an old lady at my job that has one and the damn thing is a money pit. Parts are high, and it seems every other week it's got something new wrong with it.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:57 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Nice sample size. I have a buddy that ONLY works on Japanese cars. Guess which cars come in on the hook more often?

If they were are as reliable as you claim he couldn't make a living off of specializing in them. Sorry.
You sound a little heart broken? Maybe those Asian cars hang around for a long time thus there's more of them to serviced vs. your typical euro trash car which needs to be cubed after about 4-5 years.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:27 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
You sound a little heart broken? Maybe those Asian cars hang around for a long time thus there's more of them to serviced vs. your typical euro trash car which needs to be cubed after about 4-5 years.

Cubed after 4-5 years? My latest is already 15 years old and in perfect shape. Not even close to getting cubed. My last one and my son's are similar experiences (my previous E38 got sold at 185k miles, his first E46 got traded in at 250k miles, and his current one, a E46 330i ZHP is in flawless shape at well over 10 years old). And they are all newer than your favorite E30. You're the one sounding butthurt about getting a bad MINI and extrapolating that into all German cars. I've owned over 130 cars and over 45 of them were high mileage VWs, Porsches, and BMWs and so I have more than a one off goddamn point of data to judge from.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Let's just say that the McGyver of mechanics has a much lower cost of ownership than a normal car owner.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:57 PM

What do German car fans and domestic violence victims have in common?

Denial! If I just place one more parts order everything will be ok! I mean really adopting Christopher Reeves horse would make more sense, given the amount of time you'll be on your back.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:04 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
German car's engines and transmissions are rock solid for the most part. It's pretty much everything else that gives owners headaches. Sensors and electronic gremlins. Sure they don't make the car undriveable but sure lights up the dash like a Christmas tree

Old 06-12-2016, 05:45 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
What do German car fans and domestic violence victims have in common?

Denial! If I just place one more parts order everything will be ok! I mean really adopting Christopher Reeves horse would make more sense, given the amount of time you'll be on your back.
Aleast our German cars are among sexiest cars driving on the road

Old 06-12-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Aleast our German cars are among sexiest cars driving on the road
Well I hope that works out when it comes to flirting with the tow truck driver or service writer.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
German car's engines and transmissions are rock solid for the most part. It's pretty much everything else that gives owners headaches. Sensors and electronic gremlins. Sure they don't make the car undriveable but sure lights up the dash like a Christmas tree
Yeah, but we learn time and time again they can't make gaskets or o-rings that seal or a cooling system that will last more than 100k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive