Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 01:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,538,827 times

Advertisements

Some people have different tolerance I guess. I barely use my A/C and have taken a lot of long trips without it on hot, humid, Mid Atlantic days. Cold water helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 03:02 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,892,074 times
A wet bandanna around your neck can help with feeling cooler. Taking a rest somewhere shady in the early afternoon between about noon thirty and two might help. Perhaps driving on the slower roads where you can have your windows down would be nicer? Sometimes the slow roads have more shade, parks and a lot less concrete that heats things up than the interstate. Plus it's a lot more interesting to look at than endless miles of hot concrete interstate.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:14 PM

7,474 posts, read 13,485,527 times
In the late 60s I used one of these in a '61 Ford station wagon traveling between IL and TX.

In-car "swamp" cooler, just add water. Currently 3 or 4 on Ebay. Buy it, use it, resell it :-)

Bon Aire Vintage Car Auto Swamp Cooler AC Air Conditioner in Original Box 1960'S | eBay

Old 06-11-2016, 07:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,152,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
In the late 60s I used one of these in a '61 Ford station wagon traveling between IL and TX.

In-car "swamp" cooler, just add water. Currently 3 or 4 on Ebay. Buy it, use it, resell it :-)

Bon Aire Vintage Car Auto Swamp Cooler AC Air Conditioner in Original Box 1960'S | eBay
Those would work when humidity is very low, but probably not going from eastern Texas to Minneapolis. When humidity is high, they just add more humidity. We had one of those that fit in the car window back in the early 50s. We used it on a trip out west (from eastern Kansas), iirc, but only that one time.

OP, you might consider watching the weather forecast/outlook before leaving. If it looks like a cool week, go for it. If the forecast is for high temps, just rent a car (if you can afford it). It can get VERY, VERY hot and humid along that stretch. I remember briefly visiting with a guy from Dallas at a rest area just outside of Sioux City several years ago in late July. We were both sweltering, as was everyone else. He said he'd never seen it so hot anywhere. (I hadn't either.) I think it was about 98 degrees/98% relative humidity.

My AC had gone out of my car the week before; luckily we had my wife's car to drive (or we' have driven the truck).

It doesn't usually get really hot in Iowa, etc. until mid July, but it was supposed to hit 101 degrees in Rapid City today. That would surely be an all-time record for the date. We could be in for another HOT summer across the U.S.

About 20 years ago my late wife and I took a trip back east from mid-June to late July. We stopped in Minneapolis one night to visit with my brother, and it was over 100 degrees. Bro assured me that when we got to the shores of Lake Superior it would be cool from the lake. It was 106 degrees in Thunder Bay!

Old 06-11-2016, 09:29 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,520,387 times
If you're going to have to fix it before your Rockies drive, why not get it over with and fix it now? No need to suffer needlessly. Those ice chest coolers will make very little difference and you'll be buying ice several times a day. I just drove from Arizona to Alaska and I needed my air conditioning every single day. No way would I have wanted to do it without air.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:33 PM

114 posts, read 266,958 times
Feel for ya. Poor musician here, I have made 2 x-country trips right through the hot center midsummer in a Dodge van with no AC and the engine hump inside the cab. daytime temps in the van - 118F. Heatwave of 2006 was a memorable one. Anyhow, the key is water: in addition to drinking a lot so you can sweat effectively, wet cotton and moving air will cool you. Rolling down the windows alone will not do it, a loose cotton shirt dampened will be heaven. wet cotton bandanna around the neck and even wrist/forearm cooling the blood in major arteries close to the surface and acting as your body's own radiator. These are all small things, but when you're poor you have to be creative It can be done. Driving at night is really the best suggestion, or at least not driving between noon & 6 pm or so

Old 06-11-2016, 10:52 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,914,907 times
Didn't anyone catch that the heater wasn't working as well..

Each of these systems is in use by itself and do not crossover each other.. The only thing that would tie these two together is the blower (fan) motor as that is what both systems use to push their air into the vehicle...

So it isn't that the a/c doesn't work it is that the motor to push the air is on the fritz... And $1,000 to fix that seems kind of high.....

Old 06-11-2016, 10:55 PM

141 posts, read 170,277 times
If you're young, in good shape, and acclimated to the heat, you'll probably be alright. Just don't drive during the hottest part of the day. Driving in intense heat makes me sleepy. I have a/c but I always carry extra water, tools, and duct tape when traveling long distances. If I have a breakdown in the heat, I can use the water for cooling myself or for the radiator if a hose bursts.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:04 PM

141 posts, read 170,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Didn't anyone catch that the heater wasn't working as well..

Each of these systems is in use by itself and do not crossover each other.. The only thing that would tie these two together is the blower (fan) motor as that is what both systems use to push their air into the vehicle...

So it isn't that the a/c doesn't work it is that the motor to push the air is on the fritz... And $1,000 to fix that seems kind of high.....
$1,000 does seem a bit steep. If the a/c evaporator is leaking, then it's most likely buried in the dash beside the heater core. Maybe that's what they were getting at??? If so, the whole dash will have to come out.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:36 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,149,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'm going to Minneapolis in 2 weeks, the only issue with our vehicle though is the air conditioner does not work. We have 3 fans installed, 2 at the front and one at the back. It's okay at night but in the day during 80+ temps, it barely helps. We are discussing renting a car to go up there, though I personally do not want to do that, it will cost a hell of a lot more. Is there any suggestions of what to do to further cool the car, and how viable/economical is renting anyway? We are very low budget.
Last summer while driving our vehicle to Seattle from Atlanta our AC went out in Utah. We had to drive through Idaho, Oregon, and Washington in triple digits to mid 90s. Our two kids kept asking me to turn the sun off.

Windows down work, but destroy in car conversations. Better than nothing though.
Another suggestion is to drive at night and early morning before it gets blistering hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive