Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 04:50 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times

Advertisements

Bumper and fender for $500 or 600 tops? That is way too low. I had my rear bumper repainted.....with a 500 ins ded...I wasn't going to claim $300-400 from my insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 05:20 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Scraped my front bumper and fender and need to get them painted. It is impossible to buff out the scrape. One shop gave me an itemized quote for $1,300. More or less what I was expecting, but I'm wondering if I could get a lower price if I go to a competitor for a second estimate and if I should show them the first shop's quote or not. Thoughts?

I'm paying out of pocket. I hate insurance, not only are you constantly siphoning them money, in the event that you have to use it, they will typically raise your premiums and now you have an accident on your record, if you can even get them to pay out at all since their business goal is to collect as many premiums as possible and pay out as least as possible.
What's the purpose of showing a body shop your quote from a different body shop? If it's lower, then they'll tell you to go there and have it done.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:07 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times
I know this sounds strange but - try calling the local auto recyclers to see if they have the bumper and fender in your color.

If you are good with tools you may be able to remove and replace these parts for less than the cost of repairing the old parts.

In any event, $1,300 seems incredibly high to paint a bumper and fender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive