Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:39 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times

Advertisements

We learend from GM that you can usually move up to a better model that already includes most of the creature comforts you want for the same price as the cheaper model with all the extras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 12:22 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,825,170 times
I want a car or pickup with absolutely nothing extra except an automatic, a heater and power steering Because of Diabetic Neuropathy I need an automatic. Arthritis requires Power Steering and a heater is nice on days when it is below zero. Until about one year ago my motorcycle was my main transportation. With close to five million miles driving in my life I still enjoy the driving experience. I don't need bells and whistles to distract from that experience. Screw luxury. I have a Lazy Boy recliner for that.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:30 PM

17,153 posts, read 11,993,240 times
If buying new I tend to stick to the basic trim with the biggest engine because options depreciate the fastest. When buying used I buy the top trim...because options depreciate the fastest.

Also things like navigation, backup cam, leather, etc can be added easily aftermarket. And usually a higher quality for less money than a factory package.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:37 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,045,206 times
They're very important to me because if I'm with my car, I'm going to be driving it and I want to be comfortable. Maybe comfort isn't a big deal to some people and that's fine.

Now if I were one of those guys who just likes to park their car at car shows to look at it then I guess creature comforts wouldn't matter.

And no, I will not use my phone as a navigation device because I'm going to conserve the battery for calls (that's where the creature comfort of Bluetooth comes in) and you can get a ticket for holding a cell phone. Cop isn't going to need to listen to your reason for holding the phone.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:46 PM

17,153 posts, read 11,993,240 times
I just plug in my phone and the charge stays ahead of what Waze(nav/speed traps/traffic) and Pandora use. Mounted on a vent clip not being held.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:48 PM

4,488 posts, read 3,894,472 times
I spend a lot of time on the road for my work. I buy CPO luxury vehicles for the comfort. Currently driving a 2012 Lexus LS 460.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:52 PM

8,619 posts, read 10,996,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If buying new I tend to stick to the basic trim with the biggest engine because options depreciate the fastest. When buying used I buy the top trim...because options depreciate the fastest.

Also things like navigation, backup cam, leather, etc can be added easily aftermarket. And usually a higher quality for less money than a factory package.
does depreciation matter if you keep it from new to the end?

Old 06-16-2016, 01:36 PM

15,708 posts, read 20,239,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I just plug in my phone and the charge stays ahead of what Waze(nav/speed traps/traffic) and Pandora use. Mounted on a vent clip not being held.

That's what I do. And to be honest, the data usage from Waze/Pandora/Spotify is pretty minimal. I use it for 2-3 hours per day, and never go over my data usage for the month.

Phone stays in the clip, and since I have a ford with the Sync system, everything is voice activated. I just hit a button on the steerting wheel and ask the car to do what I want. I never touch the phone, even for navigation.

I can even send and read (listen) to texts over the car audio without ever touching the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
does depreciation matter if you keep it from new to the end?

Not to me. My last car was an Infinti that I bought with 15K miles, and drove it to almost 180K miles before it had a major failure. I enjoyed driving that car right up to the very end, and part of that was some of the creature comforts it had. I got my money's worth from it and that's why I don't feel bad not getting a dime for it in the end. I still have the car, and probably going to just donate it.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:39 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,163,426 times
Heated seats, memory seats (preferred), synthetic/genuine leather, automatic climate control, cruise control, traction control toggling and 3.5mm connectivity. I don't like the trend of integrating all the systems into a touch screen either, it is not time efficient and nearly impossible to adjust without paying attention. I also prefer 3rd party GPS units or a phone with Waze for nav and certainly for media.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:54 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,147,124 times
The only thing I want in a car going forward is bluetooth and heated seats. The rest I don't care about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive