Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 09:49 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times

Advertisements

Seafoam also works well for 2 cycle engines.
When I leave fuel in my chainsaw, trimmer, blower and so forth it gums up in the carburetor and they get hard to start. I don't even measure; I just pour the stuff in and the engines respond nearly immediately. Saves rebuilding the carburetor.

It's a good product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 06:36 AM

844 posts, read 1,442,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
WD40 is glorified kerosene with a touch of oil. I'll stick with Fluid Film, Kroil and Tri Flow. The right products for the right job.
Is Fluid Film or Tri Flow cheaper or something?

Old 06-20-2016, 07:21 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,968 times
Be careful using it in direct injection engines such as modern diesels. If you used it or something similar since the car was new it is ok. But if you have 150k on the engine you will probably give it a heart attack when the seafoam loosens the crap that is built up on the walls of the fuel lines and breaks free and clogs the injectors. If you have a duramax, it is a $4500 repair bill.
Happened to me when one of my mechanics decided to clean the injectors of 4 of my topkicks.... All 4 of them clogged.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:59 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I recently bought a 16 oz can of SEAFOAM...thinking about adding the whole thing into my gas tank, instead of putting some in vacuum hose that leads to the engine, adding some to the crankcase oil and a little in the gas tank like some suggest...I may just add all of it to the gas tank....would that be a bad thing?

Can seafoam hurt anything?

Nope. been Seafoaming both ways ever since 2001 or 2002, do not remember exact year. Through quite a few cars actually. Recommended to many online and had many thank yous.
Out of curiosity, I drove my then Range with Seafoam in oil for 2500 miles. No problems.
So, OP, from real life user for years, with great success, not a "I went online read this and that" opinion, go for it. Seafoam is great product. So is it's sister product, Transtune.
Prime fuel system once a year with can. I pour seafom into crankcase about a week worth of driving before oil change. My engines run like Swiss watches.
I also did use it in combustion chambers, to reduce piston rings carbon build up. THAT is an interesting experience, as then you have military grade smoke curtain coming out of tailpipe and covering entire hood. So be aware of that. But nothing adverse happened to engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UeJXkzDW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdT4DPFXIkM

Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
In theory, I don't think 1 bottle is enough. It has to be used regularly to work. Older Cars that have deposits build up require regular use of seafoam and gas with detergents to make a difference. It takes time to completely remove the deposits.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:54 AM

844 posts, read 1,442,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In theory, I don't think 1 bottle is enough. It has to be used regularly to work. Older Cars that have deposits build up require regular use of seafoam and gas with detergents to make a difference. It takes time to completely remove the deposits.
do you think 16oz can is too much

Old 06-20-2016, 12:02 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,190 times
Quote:
All at once it is. Use recommended dosage and repeat every couple thousand miles (or at every gas re-fill, whatever works for you).

Old 06-20-2016, 12:11 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Can you read what it says on the can? On the side of the can it says how much to use for maintenance and for a "clean-out" dose.

Any sort of additional detergent does compete with whatever extreme pressure additives you have in your oil (additives that the oil manufacturer put in the oil, not anything you added). If some is good, more is not necessarily better.

Various clean up products can and do work *if* your problem is a dirty or gummed up fuel system part. If the fuel system is clean, and you have say a vacuum leak, they won't do anything about that.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
WD40 is glorified kerosene with a touch of oil. I'll stick with Fluid Film, Kroil and Tri Flow. The right products for the right job.
WD40 is fish oil. It's a great water displacer, which is what WD stands for. I always take a can waterfowl hunting.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:35 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
Quote:
It's sea foam it can't hurt anything because it doesn't really do anything. That stuff along with WD40 is not allowed in my garage.
You don't allow WD40 in your garage?
What next are you going to tell us? That you don't have any Duct Tape, too?
(BTW, WD40 makes a GREAT bee/wasp/hornet killer... ) and once on the ground, you can hold them captive with the duct tape...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive