Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:01 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I know they own them, but on their own GM cant properly develop a hot hatch. I almost wish they would, with a completely new design, and enter in the WRC. Then I would have some respect for GM.
I'm not sure what you mean by "on their own". Opel/Vauxhall ARE GM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 02:16 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
I know they own them, but on their own GM cant properly develop a hot hatch. I almost wish they would, with a completely new design, and enter in the WRC. Then I would have some respect for GM.
That's a bunch of hogwash. GM is global and they can do anything that any separate division can do in any of the markets they sell in any market they want to.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:17 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "on their own". Opel/Vauxhall ARE GM.
Is that like saying Bugatti is VW?

Old 06-28-2016, 02:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
IMO, GM knows absolutely nothing about hot hatches, and most likely never will. I mean, the best we get is the Sonic RS? Puhleeze. Im sure they could conjur up with another Euro chassis and slap a weird badge on it (like with the Saturn), but it'll never have the heritage or prestige of a Ford or VW hot hatch. It just wont. Itll most likely feel generic, as they usually do.
That Chevy SS Turbo is very quick compact sports. C&D tested the car and it actually beat a stock Evo/STI on the track.

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Sedan - Short Take Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&D
We took a coupe down to Virginia for our annual Lightning Lap track fest, and it dominated its class, setting a new front-drive record and lapping VIR’s 4.2-mile Grand Course more quickly than a Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evolution MR, not to mention plenty of higher-pedigreed and far pricier machinery, including a Honda S2000 CR and the 416-hp Lexus IS F. And now the SS is available with four doors.
I would love to get a SS Turbo but they are very hard to find.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:31 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
I may go test drive one and see how I like it. The problem I have with Fords is the horrific Microsoft based infotainment system (Sync)... that thing is so bad it should be trashed. I hope they have a new system in it;s place.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:05 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Well, I do know that Mazdas can handle up to 500HP on stock internals, a number of people ran that. The weakness in the system is the tmic, converting to a fmic would give it much better potential.

The question about the Ford ST is how much max HP can the car run safely over a period. People who do that on the STI will end in ringland failure.
I have not know any 500hp MS3/MS6's on stock internals. 400whp/wtq is the ragged edge for low mileage healthy 2.3 DISI motor. My tuner purposely kept torque low for longevity's sake. At this point the 2.3 DISI is oldschool. The ecoboosts I heard are much better for tuning.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Is that like saying Bugatti is VW?
No, it's not. That's like saying Bugatti is VAG. GM isn't a car brand, it's the umbrella corporation.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I may go test drive one and see how I like it. The problem I have with Fords is the horrific Microsoft based infotainment system (Sync)... that thing is so bad it should be trashed. I hope they have a new system in it;s place.
It has been trashed. 2016 models and newer have a new version of SYNC that is not Microsoft-based and much better.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:49 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That Chevy SS Turbo is very quick compact sports. C&D tested the car and it actually beat a stock Evo/STI on the track.

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Sedan - Short Take Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

I would love to get a SS Turbo but they are very hard to find.
Other than the compact part you. It's a on the big side for the 5er/E-class, much larger than the 3-series which itself really isn't a compact sports sedan anymore.

And yeah, GM builds fine hot hatches. They just don't bring them here. Aside from the Corvette/Camaro GM rarely brings any of it's interesting cars here. Every one in a while you get a Soltice/Sky, G8, SS but they're always limited runs and then it's back to Aveos and Malibus. To be fair, it's not like they really sell that well. The Neon SRT-4 and Cobalt were both, while not hatches, very good for hot compacts.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Other than the compact part you. It's a on the big side for the 5er/E-class, much larger than the 3-series which itself really isn't a compact sports sedan anymore.
I think the nomenclature is being confused by vision33r's omission of the word "Cobalt". He's talking about the Cobalt SS, rather than the Chevy SS which is a full-sized RWD Holden-based sedan, to the best of my ability to read between the lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive