Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 04:29 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I heard that years ago, servicemen stationed in Europe would ship European cars back to the U.S. I don't know if that's still a thing, but maybe you could ask someone who's been stationed in Europe with the U.S. armed forces.
Not anymore. Military personnel, ex-pats, US diplomats can purchase US spec vehicles from some manufacturers in Europe and bring them back when they return. Foreign diplomats, foreign military personnel, automakers, auto racing teams, and foreign visitors can bring their vehicles to the US but there is a strict limit on how long they can stay and usually a bond is required.

Very often Peugeot vehicles are spotted in New Jersey as Peugeot still has an office there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The necessity of retrofitting Euro-market-only cars for different air pollution standards and different safety standards tends to be VERY expensive, but the cost can be absorbed to a certain extent by gray-market importers of cars like that because they are dealing with...maybe...10 or 20 cars per year, and because the potential buyers of these cars have very deep pockets, and are willing to pay a large premium in order to possess a car that is not normally seen in The US.

However, for one person to attempt the same process with a decidedly down-market car, such as what the OP is contemplating, is simply not workable on any practical basis.
Another big cost is crash testing. It can cost millions to certify a vehicle.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:12 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Very often Peugeot vehicles are spotted in New Jersey as Peugeot still has an office there.

I have lived in NJ for the past 60 years, and even as a car buff who instantly recognizes obscure makes and models on the roads, I haven't seen a Peugeot of any type on the road for...many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Another big cost is crash testing. It can cost millions to certify a vehicle.

But, surely that incredibly expensive process would be cost-effective for one person who wants to import ONE absolutely mediocre vehicle!

Old 06-22-2016, 06:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
You could, but it needs to be registered in another country and, I believe, there are limits to it even in that case.
Per some travel message boards, I think it's six months in the country for a non-antique car.

As far as Peugeots go, we rented one of their station wagons while in Europe, and the Chinese-Scottish rental agency clerk's description of it as "well, it's got four wheels and an engine" was pretty accurate. I'm sure the American hot hatch crowd would be all over some of their rally cars if a street version was allowed for import though.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:27 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Lots of very interesting advice / recommendations, Stanley . . .

However, after investing in all of the U.S Specs Requirements and you were finally able to "import" and ultimately register / license a Renault . . . what about repairs and maintenance down the road?

Also, what about resale if and when you decide to move on?

Old 06-22-2016, 09:21 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

I heard that years ago, servicemen stationed in Europe would ship European cars back to the U.S. I don't know if that's still a thing, but maybe you could ask someone who's been stationed in Europe with the U.S. armed forces.
I believe today you can order a Mercedes and other European makes for delivery in Europe, drive it around on vacation, bring it to the port and ship it home. It used to be for what you actually saved on some high end models would pay for the trip. The manufacturers didn't have to pay an import fee because it was a "used car".

Old 06-22-2016, 10:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I believe today you can order a Mercedes and other European makes for delivery in Europe, drive it around on vacation, bring it to the port and ship it home. It used to be for what you actually saved on some high end models would pay for the trip. The manufacturers didn't have to pay an import fee because it was a "used car".
Mercedes, Volvo, and BMW all still offer a 'European delivery program' like that for North American buyers. If you can get the time off, why not break the car in with some autobahn driving?

Old 06-23-2016, 05:51 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post

All of that is correct, but it is important to add that these cars are ordered from US-based dealerships, and are built as "US specification" vehicles, even though they are delivered to the buyer in Europe.

Bringing a US specification vehicle into the US is not at all difficult.
What the OP contemplates is bringing a vehicle that is not "US spec" into the country, and this is just not practical--unless he has almost limitless cash to spend on that venture.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I have lived in NJ for the past 60 years, and even as a car buff who instantly recognizes obscure makes and models on the roads, I haven't seen a Peugeot of any type on the road for...many years.
They are definitely unicorns but if you go to their office in Little Falls I'm sure you'll see a few parked there with manufacturer plates.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:05 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
It's not going to happen. Period.

Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive