Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 12:49 PM

191 posts, read 228,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I guess if it's legs and not head that are the problem (everyone's torso is different):

10 Cars with the Most Front Legroom for Taller Drivers | Autobytel.com
Nope, for me it's mainly headroom. Legroom could be cramped and I would care less, as long as the headroom is there I'm a happy camper. I've sat in cars with limited legroom before, I simply tilt my sitting angle left or right and it's not an issue. On the other hand, there is just NO "adjusting" to limited headroom without straining your neck or back..... there's just "nowhere to go" when the roofline is low, resulting in significant discomfort. Kind of hard to enjoy your drive if you're constantly straining your neck or ducking your head to see when the traffic light turns green/red.

The only problem is, the vehicles that offer an adequate/PROPER amount of headroom ( => 40.0 inches) are almost all gas-guzzler trucks, SUVs, or vans. Most of the sedans and smaller cars seem to fall into the 39 inches or less category (ie. manlet, women, or small-sized teenagers), which is bordering on cramped and causes my head to rub right up against the roof/ceiling of the car

Last edited by CuriousMiscer; 06-24-2016 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 04:47 PM

11,054 posts, read 10,607,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
What are some good high-MPG cars that will properly accommodate taller males 6'2" and above? I'm soooooo tired of gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs, which is what I've been using most of my adult life.

Going forward I want to "downsize" on auto costs in general and I want a high-MPG car for once. Most of my vehicles have been 14-16 mpg or so, so not the best. I am not the same person I was 10 years ago, and with the proliferation of the internet, Netflix, Amazon, online shopping, etc I just don't drive that much anymore. In the past I drove much more than I do currently.

I also notice the parts on smaller/high-MPG vehicles tend to be cheaper, which makes sense. Only problem is, most of the high-MPG vehicles seem to have been designed with small people, women, and small-sized teenagers in mind. So this effectively leaves big & tall drivers out in the cold. I just don't understand WHY these various auto companies can't simply add another 3-5 inches to the rooflines of their vehicles..... would solve a lot of problems. They claim it would create more "drag"?? Just make the engine slightly stronger then , it all seems so simple to me, but I digress

Another strong argument for simply making every vehicle bigger is that a big vehicle is "backwards compatible" with small people, women, and small-sized teenagers. But on the other hand, a smaller vehicle is NOT compatible at all with bigger/taller drivers. The bigger vehicle is thus more consumer-friendly and more likely to sell like hot-cakes.

What are some good candidates for high-MPG but also accommodates big/tall drivers? If it's a good highway cruiser that would be a plus.

I don't mind used, my max budget would be $20k tops, and ideally $15k.

Any ideas?

thanks
Check out the Nissan Versa Note. We just got one for my wife, and at 6'2" it's perfectly comfortable for me to drive.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:00 PM

191 posts, read 228,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Check out the Nissan Versa Note. We just got one for my wife, and at 6'2" it's perfectly comfortable for me to drive.
Nissan Versa/Note is actually one of the first cars I thought about when I started brainstorming this, but then again I've read so-so reviews about that thing from the internet. I see lots of people complaining online that the car is "slow" and that it can get rather noisy. I wonder if that's true, or if it's just "vocal minority" style exaggerations like here on some of the City-data forums.

How's that thing on the highway? Had a chance to drive it on a long road?

Old 06-24-2016, 06:43 PM

13,253 posts, read 22,650,364 times
I've been in someone else's Versa rental. Lots of cabin space front and back, but consensus was that it was underpowered and not nearly as nice as a Ford Focus (car they'd rented on previous trip). Bluetooth, but no center armrest for the front passenger seat.

It also doesn't do as well as a lot of its peers in crash testing.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:54 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,010,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post

Any ideas?

thanks
Go to a used car lot (don't buy anyting) and start sitting in as many different cars as you can. You will find a few that will do. Then you can start looking for good deals at those specifically.

Go to non mfr lots like Carmax etc. Places that have lots of different brands.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:02 PM

172 posts, read 389,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Go to a used car lot (don't buy anyting) and start sitting in as many different cars as you can. You will find a few that will do. Then you can start looking for good deals at those specifically.

^^^This.

We just bought a new (to us) car. My 6'5"er wanted an economical commuter. We went to Carmax and he ruled out his faves (on paper) due to the way they felt when sitting in them. He ended up buying a used Nissan Leaf, mainly due to the comfort factor for him; but the $0 in gas/oil costs and the gitty-up were bonuses!

Old 06-24-2016, 11:55 PM

3,223 posts, read 3,507,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t1AyYc0SE4
also can get the latest more stylish Aston Martin looking version they are getting 80-100MPG on average and look stunning
I would recommend the Hatchback version, the C-Max Energi. I just turned mine in off lease. I had it up to 200 MPG on my regular commute (I had access to free charging at work). Plenty of head and leg room as the seats moved very far back. Also, seating for 5. A 2 yr old one with 20-30K miles can be had for ~$15K.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweez View Post
I have a Ford C-Max (hybrid) - gets great mileage and plenty of head/leg/cargo space. My husband is 6ft and there is still plenty of room for him so at 6'2" you should be fine. New would be a little over your budget $24K to start but you might be able to find used for under 20K.
They cant give away used CMAX Energi fast enough. Great little vehicle. When oldest gets his license in a year I might get another one as a 3rd vehicle.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post

This is the right approach to take for any car you want to buy. Use Carmax to browse multiple manufacturers, one right after the other.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noregrets11 View Post
^^^This.

We just bought a new (to us) car. My 6'5"er wanted an economical commuter. We went to Carmax and he ruled out his faves (on paper) due to the way they felt when sitting in them. He ended up buying a used Nissan Leaf, mainly due to the comfort factor for him; but the $0 in gas/oil costs and the gitty-up were bonuses!
Great deals to be had on used Nissan Leaf (Leaves).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive