Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:55 PM

191 posts, read 230,521 times

Advertisements

What are some good high-MPG cars that will properly accommodate taller males 6'2" and above? I'm soooooo tired of gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs, which is what I've been using most of my adult life.

Going forward I want to "downsize" on auto costs in general and I want a high-MPG car for once. Most of my vehicles have been 14-16 mpg or so, so not the best. I am not the same person I was 10 years ago, and with the proliferation of the internet, Netflix, Amazon, online shopping, etc I just don't drive that much anymore. In the past I drove much more than I do currently.

I also notice the parts on smaller/high-MPG vehicles tend to be cheaper, which makes sense. Only problem is, most of the high-MPG vehicles seem to have been designed with small people, women, and small-sized teenagers in mind. So this effectively leaves big & tall drivers out in the cold. I just don't understand WHY these various auto companies can't simply add another 3-5 inches to the rooflines of their vehicles..... would solve a lot of problems. They claim it would create more "drag"?? Just make the engine slightly stronger then , it all seems so simple to me, but I digress

Another strong argument for simply making every vehicle bigger is that a big vehicle is "backwards compatible" with small people, women, and small-sized teenagers. But on the other hand, a smaller vehicle is NOT compatible at all with bigger/taller drivers. The bigger vehicle is thus more consumer-friendly and more likely to sell like hot-cakes.

What are some good candidates for high-MPG but also accommodates big/tall drivers? If it's a good highway cruiser that would be a plus.

I don't mind used, my max budget would be $20k tops, and ideally $15k.

Any ideas?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 08:38 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I would take a look at the Kia Soul. It works well for drivers of different heights, is thrifty and economical to purchase. New, you would be able to find one within your preferred $15-$20k range, depending upon options, and it's very safe for the class, with a higher ride height and hatchback versatility.

For a good highway cruiser with decent fuel economy, not hybrid level, and a good amount of room, I would look at a used Chevrolet Impala, but the new body style, not the old. With the base engine, power is sufficient, but not an especially fast 4-cylinder, but the vehicle has room for all passengers, if you wanted a sedan. Around $20k, you would find some nicely equipped models that are 2014-2015 model years. You do not want the "fleet" model as that is the holdover from the previous generation, and the new body style Impala is a different vehicle, entirely.

The Prius actually offers a good amount of room for a taller driver as well. Fuel economy is the strength of the vehicle, and the V models offer a larger amount of cargo room. Love it or hate it, the Prius would work well for a taller driver, as I have a friend who has two Prii sedans and a V wagon, and her husband is 6'5" and has no issues, nor does she at 5'4" tall. The downside is that the Prius is pretty slow, no matter how Toyota's current marketing campaign tries to spin it as a getaway vehicle.

An Avalon hybrid would be a good vehicle to consider as well, both for a comfortable cruiser and one that had good fuel economy and decent room for a taller driver, but a 2013 is more likely to be in the $25k range with average mileage on the odometer. The previous generation Avalon is a good vehicle as well, but was only equipped with a V6 that gets decent fuel economy for the class, but is not a class leader. A non-hybrid newer generation Avalon 2013-2014 can be found in the $20k range, with fuel economy of 21/31, which is an improvement over the previous generation that got to the higher 20s on the highway. The 2012 and older generation was rated at 19/28 for fuel economy with Toyota's 3.5L 6-cylinder engine, and you should be able to find one around $15k.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
We had a neighbor who was 6'6. He drove a Mercedes Smart Fortwo. Plenty of room when you don't have to worry about any legroom for a backseat.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:26 PM

191 posts, read 230,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
We had a neighbor who was 6'6. He drove a Mercedes Smart Fortwo. Plenty of room when you don't have to worry about any legroom for a backseat.
Wouldn't that thing struggle on the highway tho? Just Googled it, looks like an oversized plastic toy. Doesn't look like something I'd trust to keep me alive in a crash/accident

In the future I predict I'll be making use of highways a lot, so something where road/engine noise is kept down would be preferable. The future I see involves lots of long multi-hour drives, yet another scenario where high-MPG vehicles shine.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:28 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Your budget makes it tougher.
Was gonna recommend a variety of nice hybrids, but unlikely to come in at that price in reasonable condition.

I guess try out a RAV4.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:53 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
RAV4 is short on knee room(seat all the way back).

vs my Forte5 hatchback.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:20 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
Wouldn't that thing struggle on the highway tho? Just Googled it, looks like an oversized plastic toy. Doesn't look like something I'd trust to keep me alive in a crash/accident

In the future I predict I'll be making use of highways a lot, so something where road/engine noise is kept down would be preferable. The future I see involves lots of long multi-hour drives, yet another scenario where high-MPG vehicles shine.
Well, this was in TX, with lots of flat roads. But it has enough power to commute going 70+ mph, our neighbor used to drive about 35 miles each way to work, for years.

But yes, I doubt it's the safest car in the world in the event of an accident, however I doubt any car in the segment you're looking for is.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
RAV4 is short on knee room(seat all the way back).

vs my Forte5 hatchback.
Is that a new one?

I just drove a new one (rental car while my car was being repaired) and I was surprised at the interior room and head room.

Also, my dad and brother are tall and they are at ease in my dad's 2006 Rav4.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Buick.... lots of room, plenty of power and about 30MPG on the highway.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:37 PM

I guess if it's legs and not head that are the problem (everyone's torso is different):

10 Cars with the Most Front Legroom for Taller Drivers | Autobytel.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive