U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:20 PM

22,115 posts, read 8,727,688 times

Advertisements

I play tennis on weekends. When the lot, which takes about 15 cars fills up, the "overflow" parking is about 1/4 walk away. Most people jockey for spaces alongside a nearby church. About 15 flat yards further, across a small bridge, is a mostly empty train station parking lot that is free on weekends. I usually park there both out of courtesy to Sunday worshipers and to avoid waiting for and squeezing into small spaces.

Today we were talking about htat at the tennis club. One of the other players said she doesn't like the extra walk; and then pointed oiut that everyone was going to play either an hour of singles tennis or one and one quarter hour of doubles, or more, in a blazing hot sun. She laughed at the self-contradiction. I suggested she ask a psychiatrist. She happens to be married to one.

Thoughts on why people don't take such easy parking so close by, and spend extra time hunting for spaces 15 yards closer?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 10:49 PM

4,231 posts, read 6,665,811 times
Even people that workout are lazy news at 11.

I park my truck way out in the parking lot, because I don't need anymore dings or scratches.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:34 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,482,643 times
I suspect you're exaggerating things a bit. 15 yards is about 3 car lengths.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I suspect you're exaggerating things a bit. 15 yards is about 3 car lengths.
Maybe 30 yards. About six cars fit on the bridge when parked (illegally).

Old 06-26-2016, 12:56 PM

4,479 posts, read 2,046,895 times
Default If I had my druthers

People are social animals - & so the logic of the situation doesn't necessarily count for much. Yah, the logical thing to do would be to park as far away as you could, & jog or walk vigorously to the tennis courts, to warm up & loosen up - especially if you're just coming out of an AC car & have driven for a while. Acclimating, more or less, to the current weather conditions. Get the heart rate up, breathe deep, all that good stuff.

Of course, if it were me, I'd play either early in the day before the heat built up, or @ night after the air cools down - assuming there is good lighting on the courts & the temp/humidity fall reasonably soon & reasonably far once the sun goes down. It helps if the courts are in desert or @ a good altitude above sea level.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:15 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,576,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Thoughts on why people don't take such easy parking so close by, and spend extra time hunting for spaces 15 yards closer?
I wish I knew. It's like that everywhere. There is a local mountain trail that I run frequently. The trailhead parking lot is always JAMMED with cars by 3pm, all jammed up, trying to turn around or waiting for parking. There is another lot (seriously) like 300 feet away, and it's not uncommon for this lot to be mostly empty. Then there's another lot maybe 300 feet from that, and it's almost always deserted. These people are all going to climb a strenuous trail (1000 feet in 3/4 mile). But they can't park 300 feet farther from the trailhead.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Of course, if it were me, I'd play either early in the day before the heat built up, or @ night after the air cools down - assuming there is good lighting on the courts & the temp/humidity fall reasonably soon & reasonably far once the sun goes down. It helps if the courts are in desert or @ a good altitude above sea level.
This club is pretty much a morning club. By agreement with the neighborhood we start at 8:00 a.m. and no earlier and the club is nearly empty by noon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I wish I knew. It's like that everywhere. There is a local mountain trail that I run frequently. The trailhead parking lot is always JAMMED with cars by 3pm, all jammed up, trying to turn around or waiting for parking. There is another lot (seriously) like 300 feet away, and it's not uncommon for this lot to be mostly empty. Then there's another lot maybe 300 feet from that, and it's almost always deserted. These people are all going to climb a strenuous trail (1000 feet in 3/4 mile). But they can't park 300 feet farther from the trailhead.
Exactly my thoughts. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:28 PM

7,703 posts, read 9,139,159 times
People can be so weird about parking & walking

Old 06-26-2016, 04:14 PM

16,986 posts, read 16,581,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
People can be so weird about parking & walking
I agree. It's interesting when you think about it.

Like a previous poster, I park far out of the way to protect my vehicles and just to get a few extra steps in my day.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:49 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,377 posts, read 3,341,906 times
I had to deal with this in my last job as a private security guard. People who intended to eat at a restaurant across the street would always park in our parking lot when the restaurant's lot became full. This was against policy so we would give them tow warnings. Some people wanted to get into an argument so I had to explain to them that it is just a warning. It was really annoying lol.

Then you had the bank; their ATMs were right next to the fire lane, which was painted red and said "no parking, fire lane". Some people will park at the curb where it says no parking, even though there are parking slots about 30 feet from the curb. I always had to explain to people that legally, we have to keep the fire lane clear, and their car is subject to tow if they leave it there. It was especially frustrating when there were like five slots available and they still parked in the fire lane! lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive