U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 AM

18,671 posts, read 10,994,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The Kevlar painted Jeeps look GREAT and it's supposed to be pretty darn protective.

This is near me and I've seen them in person (while shopping for a different car).

Exterior Vehicle Protection Infused with DuPont
That looks GREAT!
I'm a little afraid to price something called "Kevlar" and then named "Bentley Matte Satin Grey", but it sure is a good look.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 AM

18,671 posts, read 10,994,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
thank you she is still plucking along and i find older 1987-1997.5 Ford F-Series and 1988-1998 GMT400 Chevy trucks from that era to be great long last east to work vehicles that us DIY shade tree mechanics can keep going for very little $$$ in maintenance

as to your original post have you looked at getting one of those vinyl car wraps for 4x4's?

They are a bit thicker then Vinyl wraps for cars and protect the truck a bit better from minor dings and scratches but with the age of our trucks dings and scratches just show they lived a long full life doing truck stuff.
I forgot about vinyl wrap and forgot to put it on my list. And I didn't know that truck wraps were thicker.

Here's what I'm starting with. But this picture is 8 years old. You can see why I am tempted to just shell out the money and put it back the way it was when I bought it.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:43 PM

9,728 posts, read 18,799,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
...Here's what I'm starting with. But this picture is 8 years old. You can see why I am tempted to just shell out the money and put it back the way it was when I bought it.
If it was me, that's exactly what I'd do. If you do the same color, it shouldn't need the door jambs, firewall, under side of the hood, interior, etc. repainted, but if you change the color, that's what you'll have to do to make it look decent. And that costs money.

You'll also be putting the paint over the maroon (unless you needlessly strip it), so when you get chips, it would be less noticeable if the old paint and the new paint are the same color. Plus, if you get a little fender-bender and have to get it (fender) painted, it should be no problem for a body shop to match the original color perfectly.

And finally, I personally like new paint to look like original factory paint so it appears the vehicle has been garaged since new. I'll admit that I didn't think that way 50-55 years ago. (I'm 70 too.) My first car was a '54 Chevy about the color of your truck -- candy apple red. My second car was a '56 Chevy painted metallic army green. Neither were anywhere close to the original colors, but I've changed my thinking it the past 5 decades.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:35 PM

5,721 posts, read 15,269,770 times
I have a 91 Bronco that's in desperate need of a finish of some kind so we have about the same size vehicle. Mine lives outside like yours. I've rebuilt everything on mine and the outside is the last thing and like you, I'm looking at options. I looked at a wrap. You'll spend about a grand plus to have one done. Life expectancy is only 4-5 years and then it will have to be done again. It's a soft finish and can be ripped pretty easily. A good, factory quality paint job is in the 5-9000, range depending on what all they have to do to prep it. You could do some of the cheapy paint jobs but again, life expectancy is short. The Rhinoliner comes in colors and is a DIY kinda thing or you can have it done. Cost is far less than the others but it will be a flat kinda finish. Tough finish finish though so going thru brush country isn't going to bother it. You also can do a Plasti-dip finish on it. Downside is it's a soft finish versus the others and it can be done by you for around 500 bucks. I'm probably going to go Rhinoliner on mine in a dark blue since the Bronco is the Eddie Bauer Midnight Blue and Gold. I may keep the top on mine gold, haven't decided yet. I have buds with Broncos and Blazers. They all have the above finishes. Some are ardent off roaders. Those will have the Rhinoliner. The others won't drive theirs in the rain. That's where the wraps and fancy paint jobs come in. My goal was King Ranch Red and Gold but I'm not going to put another 10 grand in a paint job just to sit in the driveway. Whatever you decide, make sure you're going to like it and don't cut any corners. Do it right or not at all.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:02 AM

11,026 posts, read 24,905,645 times
OP here is my conundrum about painting my truck where it has been used and has so many miles that if anything goes wrong or I need to spend more the $1500-$2K on it I would just sell it and buy a Gasser Super Duty/Heavy Duty Truck since outisde of using it for regular truck and off-road weekend stuff i only haul a slide in bed camper and tow a small boat.

So to me a new mid-late 00's HD truck with bigger brakes better cooling system, Beefed up HD transmission, Heavier Duty Dana Super 60 Solid front and Full floating Sterling 10.5 Rear axle(s) and a way more power engine and comfortable interior would be nice.

That is just IMO and when I cannot find decent used parts or do the repairs myself and have to put some major money into it then to to replce it with a decent solid truck listed like above.

But I must admit having my truck so long it would be hard to let it go since been through so much with it and been with me nearly 1/3 of my life it Is/was/will be a great Rig and will miss her when her time is up and it is getting pretty close till she end up as a trade in for new truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive