Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 08:00 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

If a spray on truck bed liner works so well at protecting the bed, has anyone thought to try using it to protect the underbody and key rust points? Would such a spray on liner also help to protect from rock chips for vehicles that go off road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 08:09 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Oh, and if it works so well, why isn't it a dealer option for these types of vehicles.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:47 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
I am generally wary of spreading **** all over. There is no way to go back. My truck has a drop in plastic bedliner.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:28 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If a spray on truck bed liner works so well at protecting the bed, has anyone thought to try using it to protect the underbody and key rust points? Would such a spray on liner also help to protect from rock chips for vehicles that go off road?
Interesting thinking, Victim . . .

Not certain as to the performance and durability, however, I have seen a number of Jeeps at Car Shows as well as out and about with bed liner spray in the wheel / fender wells.

I have considered it for my 1986 CJ-7 but, so far . . . BIG CHICKEN. Not really a biggee as even after 30 years my Jeep still thinks going "off road" is driving into the garage.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:35 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
I believe a lot of it has to do with maintenance/moving parts under the vehicle as well as drainage.

Doing a brake job or replacing a fuel line could be problematic if everything is covered with basically a rubber coating.

There's also a lot of nooks and crannies between external panels that need do be able to drain (think of stake pockets on the bed of the truck or drains at bottom of doors). If those got plugged/coated, you'll rust out other areas.

Instead, just undercoat your vehicle with oil or Fluid Film.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:19 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Well, for you youngsters here.
This has already been done in decades past.
It was called Rusty Jones and Ziebart.

Although the chemical formula may have changed somewhat, it is basically the same.
Hard black plastic. Yes, the spray in liners now come in colors.

Rusty Jones rustproofing came with a lifetime warranty. No rust for as long as you owned the vehicle.
Except - the vehicles did rust. And Rusty Jones went bankrupt.
Rusty Jones and Ziebart were hard black "plastic" sprayed all over underneath. Problem was that moisture got between the hard "plastic" and the metal. Then rust.

Today, for rust proofing people use a brand name product called Fluid Film. Or just plain "oil undercoating".
Fluid Film is a lanolin based product and is clear. Oil is usually bar and chain oil sprayed all over under vehicle and holes are drilled for hidden cavities - then plugged.

And for those who wish to jump in and state that the new car salesman stated that cars don't rust today because the manufacturers use better paint - Hogwash !

If you reside in Arizona, Texas, etc. well, probably you are not going to get much salt on roads and rust may not be an issue.
Florida - along the coast though - cars do rust with the salt in the air and high dew points.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:23 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Oh, and if it works so well, why isn't it a dealer option for these types of vehicles.

It is. The price is competitive with the aftermarket shops (the names of which escape me right now).

As for using as undercoating I don't think it would work too well. It's thick and not very malleable, which you'd need for the parts that flex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive