Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:06 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times

Advertisements

1%. Most cars today can go 200,000 miles without much trouble so doing 2,000 is going to use up 1% of it's life and 3% of your tires life. Or maybe not.

Seriously you're never going to find any kind of absolute "you've done x.xxx%" wear on your vehicle in xxxx miles. There are far to many variables especially over such a short distance. Yes 2,000 highway miles will do less wear than 2,000 city commuting miles but you're not going to get an exact specific amount.

People have asked questions like "how much horsepower will I lose at 100,000 vs new" and can't get a solid definitive answer, 2,000 shouldn't do any appreciable wear at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 10:51 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,258 times
Well, I've gotten some unofficial answers to my questions.........

It seems like if one drove 500 miles per day on the highway that it would be completely realistic to reach a MILLION MILES on the orig engine and tranny, as long as the owner followed all the manufacturers recommended maintenance intervals.

Million-mile Toyota Tundra owner given brand new truck - Autoblog

I'm beginning to think (correct me if I'm wrong) that most cars life expectancy is based more on the calendar and on the number of starts, than based on mileage.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:40 AM

633 posts, read 581,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I've searched the net for specific info, but have come up empty, other than the usual "highway miles are easy on the car", but I'm wondering specifically about this hypothetical situation.

Lets say I were to drive 2000 miles, (500 miles a day) on wide open and relatively flat highways, with just a stop or two each day for gas. Lets assume that I drive the car gently (70 mph w/CC set and no sudden starts or stops).

If one were to do a microscopic analysis to get a quantitive figure on engine and transmission wear and tear, just how much would it likely be, compared to let say just 200 miles over 10 days committing to work 10 miles each way.

What % per mile of wear and tear would most cars likely exhibit (tolerances with piston wear, etc) on a 2000 mile 4 day trip in the example i listed, compared to just 200 miles over 10 days of committing to and from work on suburban backroads with several traffic lights and a fair amount of stop and go traffic?

Thanks
I drive my cars seven days a week. But I only drive 1,000 miles a year. I take train to work so just drive to station and local errands.

How would that compare?

Old 10-28-2016, 11:47 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Well, I've gotten some unofficial answers to my questions.........

It seems like if one drove 500 miles per day on the highway that it would be completely realistic to reach a MILLION MILES on the orig engine and tranny, as long as the owner followed all the manufacturers recommended maintenance intervals.

Million-mile Toyota Tundra owner given brand new truck - Autoblog

I'm beginning to think (correct me if I'm wrong) that most cars life expectancy is based more on the calendar and on the number of starts, than based on mileage.
Life expectancy is dictated by car dealers trying to sell you a new car. If you do your routine maintenance and understand the true life of certain parts on your car (ex.timing belt at 100K), you will be able to see many 100K turnovers. Of course, parts do fail which will need to be replaced, but for the most part, you will do fine as long as you take care of your car.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:59 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
I drive my cars seven days a week. But I only drive 1,000 miles a year. I take train to work so just drive to station and local errands.

How would that compare?
That's terrible. Those short trips probably have the engine always in warm up mode, which means it runs rich creating excess carbon buildup. Condensation also builds up in the oil and the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn it out... this can lead to sludge.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Highway driving is very easy on a car.
Especially most modern cars. Most have overdrive and many V-8s have fuel saver mode where they run on 6 or 4 cylinders if you are just cruising. The operating cylinders rotate I think so you do not get uneven wear.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:59 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,258 times
Here is another guy who drove over a million miles in just 6 years!!

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=663678

Pickup Truck Records One Million Miles on Pennzoil® Motor Oil - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Old 11-02-2016, 01:57 PM

633 posts, read 581,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That's terrible. Those short trips probably have the engine always in warm up mode, which means it runs rich creating excess carbon buildup. Condensation also builds up in the oil and the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn it out... this can lead to sludge.
Does that happen on modern cars? It is a 2011 car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive