Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:13 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
What was better about the older interiors? I don't get the nostalgia to be honest. When I see older car interiors, I see a lot of cheap pot metal, flaky fake chrome, hard materials like metal dashes and door panels. I also think that they don't look anywhere near as nice as modern vehicles either.
Cheap pot metal? Where?
Fake chrome? It was real chrome in '60s and much of the '70s cars.
Yes, metal dashes and door panels. It looks SO much better than cheap plastic dashes and door panels!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 01:37 PM

342 posts, read 318,438 times
BMW's optional multi-contour seats are very comfortable.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:51 AM

145 posts, read 203,850 times
There is another aspect to this. Cozy! I think the sweet spot for cozy in cars were the late seventies through the 1980's.

Comfortable seats became to be a thing in the sixties, but many dashes were still metal as described previously.

In the late seventies and the 1980's, everything was plush, padded and cozy. Carpet you could stick your fingers in, carpet and velour on the door panels, etc.

Furthermore, I may have a different opinion than most of you when it comes to seat comfort. I hate leather. Cloth is my second choice, but my favorite is velour! What ever happened to that amazing stuff?

I absolutely love velour pillow top seats from the 1980's. The best of the best in my opinion! They just don't make them like that anymore.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:37 AM

382 posts, read 513,300 times
Speaking only for myself, I'd drive a late '80s Suburban to the moon and back if you bought the gas. Most comfortable vehicle I've ever been in. Cadillac soft without the Cadillac mush... at least in 2wd 1/2 ton mall cruiser format.

Maybe not the most stylish, but comfy.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Interiors  New Vs Old.-1989_chevrolet_suburban-pic-5172103608996444773-1600x1200.jpeg  

Old 09-18-2017, 09:30 PM

145 posts, read 203,850 times
The Burb looks very cozy, love the blue interior. It's hard to believe that color was discontinued by all automakers.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:58 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
What was better about the older interiors? I don't get the nostalgia to be honest. When I see older car interiors, I see a lot of cheap pot metal, flaky fake chrome, hard materials like metal dashes and door panels. I also think that they don't look anywhere near as nice as modern vehicles either.
Obviously you have been looking at the wrong older vehicles.

Wander back to the post showing the interior of my Continental MK V and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the seats are much more comfortable, and better looking than anything produced in the last 15 or 20 years.

Bob.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:19 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
What gets me is the amount of people who are knocking car interior's from the 60's and 70's and 80's were not even born yet and have no idea how these interior's were like they never sat in them while driving. The baby boomers have experienced this and the new ones as well, I'm 62 yrs old and imo the interior of the cars of the 70's were way more comfortable than today's cramped hard foam rubber seats. I know today's cars are safer but you can't take away the soft smooth ride of a big 1974 Buick Electra 225 with a big 455 was like driving on a cloud no car today that the average American can afford today has a ride like that.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:39 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
What gets me is the amount of people who are knocking car interior's from the 60's and 70's and 80's were not even born yet and have no idea how these interior's were like they never sat in them while driving.

You mean none of us could ever have had used cars when we were younger? I've driven cars all the way back to the 1920s. How could that be if I was born in '63? I've driven (and owned) plenty of '50s, '60s, and '70s cars.

I have many points of comparison and those older seats are not comfortable, they are flat and unsupportive, and they are borderline dangerous.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:19 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,591 times
Much prefer car interiors from the 50's, 60's and 70's over ones today. Cars actually had style back then! Every car interior nowadays looks and feels the same to me and I'm not impressed by them. Just a bunch of flimsy plastic BS! And that's coming from a guy who worked in a car dealership and has driven MANY new cars fresh off the truck, as well as nearly every type of foreign and domestic vehicles made in the last 25 years. You couldn't GIVE me a brand new vehicle off the lot today, I'll take my old 1976 Chevy truck over the latest top of the line truck on the market.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:05 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Just a bunch of flimsy plastic BS!

... I'll take my old 1976 Chevy truck over the latest top of the line truck on the market.

Talk about flimsy plastic stuff in the interior, that '76 has a HUGE panel of flimsy plastic covering each door. Both door panels, the entire top of the dash, the flimsy plastic "fake metal" instrument cluster panel....

I have a '79 Chevy truck. The interior is NOTHING in comparison to my BMW as far as fit, finish, and materials. And the bench seat is uncomfortable and doesn't hold you in place at all.

This is mine. I know what I'm talking about:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive