Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 4,593 times

Advertisements

Todays Vehicles have a very basic design cookie cutter setup.....they all are vynl leather cheaply made or leather hardened.....there is no diveristy of choice anylonger....they have gotton rid of real comfort and went to cheap materiald cheap made and cheap design.....they just make for the looks. So Ridding for long periods of Time with the newer vehicles leather..does it bother you or do you not know the diffrence between the real comfortable seats of the past???? Well car manufacturers should have the available seating for varient orders for customers from original designs and material.....for those that dont know about this your reply will be utterly useless.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 07:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,220 posts, read 80,386,269 times
I have had many cars since my first in 1967, a 1958 Chrysler, and none have had seats nearly as comfortable as my current 2013 and 2014. They are even a lot more comfortable than my 2007. most including the current 3 were cloth, only one had leather (real) on a 1996 Explorer, and I hated it. Even liked the vinyl better than leather. Sitting on them, it makes no difference how fashionable they are.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:01 PM

8,262 posts, read 6,330,906 times
Hondas are really good at making spacious interiors even on small cars. High center consoles make you feel like your jammed in there with no room.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:13 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,514,059 times
I think that seats today are much more comfortable that in older cars of the 70s and 80s, only exception being a Volvo my family had for a while.

And interiors today might somtimes look cheap but they hold up much better. Every car I ever was in from the 70s and 80s, if it was over about 5 years old the interior was falling apart. This typically doesnt happen these days until the car is 10-15 or more years old, if then.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,220,917 times
The style and materials of older interiors are far superior, but the actual ergonomics of modern seats win.

A hybrid of modern seat ergonomics and classic upholstery and console/door panel/dash materials and design would be cool.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:33 PM

21,678 posts, read 24,855,074 times
Yup, newer seats are generally more comfortable although that's subjective. I was in some of those old boats that had seats which were more like your grandmother's couch. They were pretty comfortable for sliding around in as a kid around town but not really supportive enough for longer road trips.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:49 AM

3 posts, read 3,392 times
I like the new Mustangs and Camaros

Old 07-03-2016, 01:55 AM

24,481 posts, read 33,178,688 times
My choice is definitely old.

I don't care for the modern hard seats at all. There is almost no "give" in those seats when you sit on them. It practically feels like an upholstered slab!

The seats in my '66 Plymouth Fury VIP were fabulous (see photos). Plush and soft, yet so thick that it was the type of seat (and car) you did not want to get out of.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:01 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,831,832 times
Funnily, our newest (sport/luxury) car's seatts are uncomfortable enough that I've tried using a seatt pad and folded towel to improve it. They are Recaro like buckets...and would work OK for tracking at Lime Rock. When I switch to our older cars, it is more comfy. I keep hoping I'll adjustt butt so far nott.

I should have test driven it for a few hours, butt of course that is impractical.

Butt, this doesn't mean much to the OP's general question...the new car's interior style, fit and finish is excellent, even elegant...and I bett most folks would prefer the new one's seatts, especially for short trips. They are stylish, supportive (butt stiff...and heavily bolstered enough to affect entry/exit). They have many adjustments and appear to be as 'ergonomic' as they come...exceptt for my butt and lower back.

Everyone's butt is different.

My still favs are two previous Saab 9-5s (the bigger model) and a long gone '86 BMW 535i's. In both cases they were big, surface softish buckets, butt with enough side bolster to keep butts and backs in place, butt also supportive enough for daily driving (maybe not serious tracking). They were both also fairly high. My guess is some SUVs would be comfy because of these characteristics...butt we don't own one.

P.S. I also find some newer cars tendency to pack the driver into a cockpit like space overdone.

Last edited by jimazee; 07-03-2016 at 06:13 AM..

Old 07-03-2016, 05:34 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,060,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU7 View Post
So Ridding for long periods of Time with the newer vehicles leather..does it bother you or do you not know the diffrence between the real comfortable seats of the past????
I've owned over 130 cars in the last 40 years. I prefer modern seats and interior materials. I'd rather be in a crash with soft touch plastics than hard metal in my face. Old seats you slid around on because there was no support laterally are not what I'd call enjoyable. Fleet posted old seats that are flat, unsupportive, and uncomfortable and then said that MODERN seats are hard and uncomfortable. Sorry, but that only works of you're a fatass that can't fit in a normal seat.

Quote:
Well car manufacturers should have the available seating for varient orders for customers from original designs and material.....for those that dont know about this your reply will be utterly useless.....
Speaking of utterly useless... Learn some punctuation, capitalization and basic English.

I'll take my interior over Fleet's any day:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive