Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 08:01 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times

Advertisements

Guys, he says both his cars are in poor shape and in need of repairs (or will be shortly). That means that neither one would be reliable for daily commuting 60 miles to college and the possibility of breakdowns is great, even with the supposedly reliable Honda. Selling both and buying a well maintained Focus sounds like a pretty good idea in order to have a safe, reliable car to commute in. The Focus after the first model year, were cheap, reliable, easy to drive, safe cars. he could sell both his cars and get one Focus and still have money left over from the sale for any potential repairs, making it a sound financial move.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5669505457.html

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5664746530.html

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...667014754.html

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...667030896.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 08:11 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Aftermarket $39.99 rim specials AND "located at our family's tire shop" - immediate red flags.Nice one. I kinda want this one for myself, too bad Baltimore is a hell of a drive...
Is it a Focus or a Rabbit? The seller seems unsure. Looks like a "buy here, finance here" place, I'd avoid.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Aftermarket $39.99 rim specials AND "located at our family's tire shop" - immediate red flags.

Why? I've built and bought many cars with custom wheels and tires and if his family owns a tire shop, they were probably easy for him to do. You guys get paranoid for no reason.

Quote:
Nice one. I kinda want this one for myself, too bad Baltimore is a hell of a drive...

But those deals can be had anywhere. I just randomly searched locally for 30 seconds.

Quote:
Is it a Focus or a Rabbit? The seller seems unsure. Looks like a "buy here, finance here" place, I'd avoid.

if you have to finance a $1000 car, you deserve what you get. Pay cash and drive it away. For a grand, you can't go wrong. Especially if it comes with a warranty, like that one does.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Why? I've built and bought many cars with custom wheels and tires and if his family owns a tire shop, they were probably easy for him to do. You guys get paranoid for no reason.
No, we guys (conservative types when it comes to buying heavily used cars) look for any semblance of normalcy. Crappy aftermarket wheels raise the question of what else has been replaced with a substandard part.
Quote:
if you have to finance a $1000 car, you deserve what you get. Pay cash and drive it away. For a grand, you can't go wrong. Especially if it comes with a warranty, like that one does.
The point is that those "buy here finance here" places generally don't deal in the most reliable vehicles.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
No, we guys (conservative types when it comes to buying heavily used cars) look for any semblance of normalcy. Crappy aftermarket wheels raise the question of what else has been replaced with a substandard part.

Again, you're paranoid for no reason. After dealing with hundreds of modified cars, it's really not as prevalent as you think. it's an old myth.

I've sold a number of cars with inexpensive custom wheels on them that looked a lot better than the stock wheels/hubcaps. They were in great condition and the few that I've kept track of have lasted a long time, like a good used car should.

Quote:
The point is that those "buy here finance here" places generally don't deal in the most reliable vehicles.

No used car lot will be dealing with anything but auction vehicles, and those auction vehicles are got from private party trade ins, which makes them the same risk as buying private party to start with. You buy on condition and price and a 3 month warranty is better than a private party gives you. Again, for a grand, you can't go wrong. Of course, you have to look at it carefully, like any other used car purchase, but writing them off if you are paying cash is as paranoid or moreso than writing off a car with custom wheels.

I bought my last E38 7 series from a cheap lot, 5 states away, drove it home and drive it for the next 5 years with minimal need for repairs and only regular maintenance.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Again, you're paranoid for no reason. After dealing with hundreds of modified cars, it's really not as prevalent as you think. it's an old myth.
You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. Why do you naturally assume that your experience is more valuable or more extensive than mine?
Quote:
No used car lot will be dealing with anything but auction vehicles, and those auction vehicles are got from private party trade ins, which makes them the same risk as buying private party to start with.
This isn't entirely accurate. Or, rather, I should say it is, but it's very nuanced. I've actually worked at one of those auctions. The bottom of the barrel used car lots (which BHFH places inevitably are) don't ask too many questions about the vehicle's condition as long as they can get it for peanuts (in some cases, literally $50-200) and dress up (with, among other things, cheapo new wheels because they draw attention to themselves). So, yes, while you need to be vigilant with any kind of private party purchase, a BHFH lot pretty much ensures you will have your pick of the worst examples possible assembled in one location.
Quote:
You buy on condition and price and a 3 month warranty is better than a private party gives you.
You're free to call me paranoid again, but I don't trust that warranty for a minute. There are enough stories out there of buyers trying to enforce them and the dealership finding ways to point out how they aren't covered.
Quote:
Again, for a grand, you can't go wrong.
Yes, you can. You know how I know? My family has done exactly that. We once bought a $700 Camry from a seller of similar repute. After we put almost five grand into it over the course of fairly brief ownership (a couple years or so), someone did us the favor of stealing it and wrecking the transmission, so we didn't feel too bad selling it to a junker.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:15 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
What car payment and higher insurance? The ZX3 isn't going to cost a lot more than either one of his current cars and the insurance on it shouldn't be any higher, either.
We have no idea if OP is buying cash outright or taking financing. He's simply saying buying a car. And if his current cars are cosmetically challenged he's going to get bottom dollar. If he finds a great condition Focus he could be paying top dollar. There could be a big difference in price. And if it's financed he's looking at full coverage insurance.

As far as aftermarket wheels, I personally wouldn't waste my money on them. I have purchased aftermarket wheels before, but now? I wouldn't waste the money. IF a car comes with them ok whatever. A car is supposed to have wheels. I'm not paying extra because it has aftermarket wheels.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
We have no idea if OP is buying cash outright or taking financing. He's simply saying buying a car. And if his current cars are cosmetically challenged he's going to get bottom dollar. If he finds a great condition Focus he could be paying top dollar. There could be a big difference in price. And if it's financed he's looking at full coverage insurance.
As mentioned here before (read the entire thread), nobody is going to finance an old vehicle for him except a buy here, finance here lot. And those I would avoid on general principle, so my advice wouldn't be relevant should (s)he wish to go that route.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
As far as aftermarket wheels, I personally wouldn't waste my money on them. I have purchased aftermarket wheels before, but now? I wouldn't waste the money. IF a car comes with them ok whatever. A car is supposed to have wheels. I'm not paying extra because it has aftermarket wheels.
You're missing the point. Good aftermarket wheels are fine. Cheapo aftermarket wheels are a sign of less-than-meticulous car ownership. I have yet to see a vehicle on $39.99 "Pep Boy specials" in good condition and I have shopped probably close to a 1,000 used cars in my life.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:27 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
What safety features is the Honda missing that you really need? Even a 93 civic is a very safe car, probably safer than many of the cars on the road today. For each meeting her like you're looking for you won't find anything much better than that for a reasonable price.
quality materials, a structural design that won't crumple in a slow speed crash, not dying if you get T-boned at anything over 25mph. I'm guessing passenger side airbag, noise reduction (from improved design, helps hearing), better handling, better lighting for visibility, higher quality seating to save your back and neck.. If I spend more than a minute I can probably come up with some more.

Quote:
What car payment and higher insurance? The ZX3 isn't going to cost a lot more than either one of his current cars and the insurance on it shouldn't be any higher, either.
the civic is worth less than $1k. the other one not much more.

Quote:
I'm gonna assume e38 is for 7-series, and guess what, you really do sound like a snob when you say this. You could have said "you get what you pay for", as in you never know. Instead you put the car's problems on the new owner because they don't have enough cash sitting around.

Quote:

No used car lot will be dealing with anything but auction vehicles, and those auction vehicles are got from private party trade ins, which makes them the same risk as buying private party to start with. You buy on condition and price and a 3 month warranty is better than a private party gives you. Again, for a grand, you can't go wrong. Of course, you have to look at it carefully, like any other used car purchase, but writing them off if you are paying cash is as paranoid or moreso than writing off a car with custom wheels.

I bought my last E38 7 series from a cheap lot, 5 states away, drove it home and drive it for the next 5 years with minimal need for repairs and only regular maintenance.
When you buy from any lot/dealer (that has a dealers license) they are going to inspect the vehicle for safety, and be legally required to sell you something that's been looked over, and will most likely put a little money into fixing minor things, like brake pads. They are also legally required to give you 3 days/100 miles (or more depending on state) to give you a full refund, Something that a private party is not required to do.

Quote:

Considering the OP has two really low value old vehicles, and is a college student (sounds like living with folks), I'm pretty sure he's going to need to finance.

Custom wheels, are like those half camper shells. The dealer won't give you a single extra cent for em when you trade em in, and they don't factor in to the price in anyways. They just help someone see something flashy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive