Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 08:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

I;m thinking if people are becoming so lazy and complacent that they now want cars that steer themselves maybe its time to take a bus, How hard is it to actually steer the darn car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 09:36 AM

759 posts, read 637,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's amazing that people are becoming test dummys for Tesla. They put out the autopilot feature and people are helping tesla test the system out with their lives.

Even for someone like me who is more savvy with technology than majority of the people I wouldn't trust Autopilot yet. There are too many situations unaccounted for that a software and sensors would not anticipate or make the best judgement.

For instance, yesterday I was changing lanes on a 2 lane road and a big truck was in front obstructing my view of the front. As I changed lanes, I carefully peeked over to see if the road was clear. Luckily I was going slowly, the minute I changed into the lane there was a slow car hidden on that lane that I couldn't see because the truck was in the way.

A computer program would need to account for that and process in real time what to do at that moment. If it could not see the other car it could cause an accident.
Not this puppy... until every car on the road has a feature like this and can communicate with each other to avoid accidents I'll be staying far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I;m thinking if people are becoming so lazy and complacent that they now want cars that steer themselves maybe its time to take a bus, How hard is it to actually steer the darn car.
But... but... I want to be the cool kid on the block with a Tesla that drives me around while I surf Facebook!

Old 07-06-2016, 10:07 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
If I am already at the wheel of a car how much more effort does it take to just drive the damn thing?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If I am already at the wheel of a car how much more effort does it take to just drive the damn thing?
Is that the point? Just saying, America for all its military sophistication is a total backwater when it comes to the penetration of useful civil technologies like high def TV, broadband Internet and cell phone infrastructure and voice quality. The rest of the world including the Third World marches right past America and Americans for the most part don't care. If Tesla is shut down and if Google and Uber are barred from any further R&D of autonomous cars I doubt there would be much regret given what I can see on City-Data. 20 years from now when the technology is being rolled out to consumers in Europe or Asia, some investors state-side might start to get nervous about financial opportunities getting away but only the lost investment opportunities. Tesla's mistake was giving this system to Americans to beta test.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:49 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Is that the point? Just saying, America for all its military sophistication is a total backwater when it comes to the penetration of useful civil technologies like high def TV, broadband Internet and cell phone infrastructure and voice quality. The rest of the world including the Third World marches right past America and Americans for the most part don't care. If Tesla is shut down and if Google and Uber are barred from any further R&D of autonomous cars I doubt there would be much regret given what I can see on City-Data. 20 years from now when the technology is being rolled out to consumers in Europe or Asia, some investors state-side might start to get nervous about financial opportunities getting away but only the lost investment opportunities. Tesla's mistake was giving this system to Americans to beta test.
Europe and Asia can have it. I won't cry if we don't.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:12 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
I am always driving defensively. Expect anything can happen on the road. Never ever take your mind off when driving, it is the most cerebral thing to be cautious of your surroundings no matter where you go.

I have had close calls with people who ran stops signs and red lights. They say sorry. But had I not paid attention there won't be a chance to say sorry.

You can't trust computer drivers until we take all humans away from driving. We are the problem.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:46 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Tesla: The New Ford Pinto. That’s now two serious wrecks in 130 million miles. Their safety record is plummeting. I’m sensing a recall coming.
Hey, maybe 60 Minutes can do a hatchet job on Tesla like they did on Audi years ago.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:48 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Well, many say that whole driving effort thingy interferes far too much with their, phoning, texting, eating, drinking, applying make-up, shaving, reading a book, watching a movie, making out, etc., etc., etc.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:50 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
It's an assist program.

I use mine on my Mercedes.
At slow speeds only (basically to relieve the burden of bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go traffic).
And while paying attention at all times.

I mean, there's too much responsibility for lives and property to just decide the car can do everything.
Even though mine has worked flawlessly. I'm not about to read a book or whatever other nonsense.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
I agree.
Where I have found it handy is the hour and half long "go 50 feet and stop for a minute, go 50 feet and stop for 30 seconds, go 50 feet, slow down, speed up, go another 30 feet, stop, blah blah."

You know. That total stop-and-go-no-one's-moving-more-than-5-15 mph deals.

That's exhausting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive