Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 08:55 AM

652 posts, read 681,686 times

Advertisements

I drive an old 1986 Dodge Ram truck and I won't trade or sell it for anything. Its my dream truck and I plan on driving it for many years to come. I bought it back in December 2015 and I believe I put $1,000 or more into by now. Its worth it and I'll do it all over again without any doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 02:34 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
I purchased my first car in 1976. It was a 1962 Olds 98, which I bought from the original owner. At 14 years old, it had only 80,000 miles on it. I paid $100 for it, drove it for 2 years, and sold it for $200. I loved that car, and it served me well.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:52 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,248,615 times
This article mainly focuses on old Mercedes-Benz's -- not reliable when newish, but durable enough to still be running 30+ years later.

There Is a Difference Between a Reliable Car and a Durable Car

Can anyone think of other cars that might fit this category: unreliable yet durable?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:52 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I purchased my first car in 1976. It was a 1962 Olds 98, which I bought from the original owner. At 14 years old, it had only 80,000 miles on it. I paid $100 for it, drove it for 2 years, and sold it for $200. I loved that car, and it served me well.
Sounds like story of the song "Long May You Run" by Neil Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songfacts.com
Excerpt (link): Neil's beloved Pontiac hearse, "Mort" (a.k.a. "Mortimer Hearseburg"), was the inspiration for this song. Neil drove "Mort" from Toronto to Los Angeles, where he met Stephen Stills and formed Buffalo Springfield.

Neil was in Canada driving to Sudbury when 'Mort' broke down in Blind River, June 1965. (Which is contradictory to the lyrics; "well it was back in Blind River, in 1962, when I last saw you alive").

Old 07-11-2016, 12:13 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
This article mainly focuses on old Mercedes-Benz's -- not reliable when newish, but durable enough to still be running 30+ years later.

There Is a Difference Between a Reliable Car and a Durable Car

Can anyone think of other cars that might fit this category: unreliable yet durable?
Corvette comes to mind. Not the best reliability, but you see a lot of decades-old ones around.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:28 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,036 times
You can buy a 2010 fusion with a stick shift for a bit over 5k in the Boston market and an 08 elantra for less than 4k in the Boston market. Neither of those cars are hunks of junk.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I drive an old 1986 Dodge Ram truck and I won't trade or sell it for anything. Its my dream truck and I plan on driving it for many years to come. I bought it back in December 2015 and I believe I put $1,000 or more into by now. Its worth it and I'll do it all over again without any doubt.
I've got a 1990. I don't remember exactly how long I've had it but I bought it before my daughter was born so that's at least 12 years. I just need a truck once in awhile, so this was supposed to be the latest in a long line of older pickups to be purchased cheap, worn out quickly, and replaced within a couple of years.

But this truck refuses to quit. In all the years I've had it the only time it's been in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance was to replace a bent control arm after driving it through a ditch that was a little deeper than I originally thought. I was going to replace it this Spring, but after shopping around I determined that I wasn't going to be able to buy anything better for what it would cost me to fix a few things (window motor, AC, universal joints) and perform another round of maintenance (tires, brakes, etc.). So that's what I'm doing. It's not much to look at these days, but as long as it keeps ticking I guess I might as well keep it on the road.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:20 PM

652 posts, read 681,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I've got a 1990. I don't remember exactly how long I've had it but I bought it before my daughter was born so that's at least 12 years. I just need a truck once in awhile, so this was supposed to be the latest in a long line of older pickups to be purchased cheap, worn out quickly, and replaced within a couple of years.

But this truck refuses to quit. In all the years I've had it the only time it's been in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance was to replace a bent control arm after driving it through a ditch that was a little deeper than I originally thought. I was going to replace it this Spring, but after shopping around I determined that I wasn't going to be able to buy anything better for what it would cost me to fix a few things (window motor, AC, universal joints) and perform another round of maintenance (tires, brakes, etc.). So that's what I'm doing. It's not much to look at these days, but as long as it keeps ticking I guess I might as well keep it on the road.
I've had my truck in the shop twice so far. The 1st time was to put the fuse box back where it belongs and to replace the voltage regulator. The fuse box was just hanging above the brake pedal for whatever reason. I've replaced the voltage regulator once before but, the shop seems to think it needed to be replace again. Then, I had Les Schwab replace the ball joints for me.
The previous owners before me didn't bother to keep up with the maintenance. So, I wouldn't be surprise if all the parts that I replaced up to this point was 29yrs old.
Anyways, if you have an old vehicle that refuses to die then, whats the point of getting something new? Its bad enough that they're making vehicles to alert you if you leave your child in the car. I think its dumb if you ask me.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
What are the safety reasons specifically that everyone talks about? People keep mentioning them being unsafe, but no one is indicating what makes them unsafe... they weren't unsafe when they were new with the equipment on them, so how did that change?
Part of it comes from a better understanding of how things move around during a crash. A late 90s Taurus, Camry, or Legacy did pretty well in offset crash testing, even by modern standards. But a Ford Contour, Nissan Maxima, or Chrysler Cirrus from that same era tended to have leg crushing problems with those same tests.

Compare the top of the safety field from that era today, and they'll generally hold up okay; but you need to do your research because the safety dogs of, say, 2003 look even worse compared to modern standards.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:13 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I've had my truck in the shop twice so far. The 1st time was to put the fuse box back where it belongs.......
Must be a common problem for that era, mine has been dangling there since I bought the truck. Every time I get in the truck I tell myself I need to get it fixed before I hook it with my foot and yank it clear out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive