Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 02:29 PM

759 posts, read 636,164 times

Advertisements

Hey all... 2015 Challenger RT... 5.7L... purchased in Jan 2015.

I just hit 20k miles this week.

My car is actually in the shop today for warranty replacement of the passenger side belt buckle...it's locked up to where the seatbelt can't be buckled. Anyway, just got a call from the shop asking me if I wanted to get the 20k maintenance done.

Upon viewing the owners manual I see "change cabin air filter" and a bunch of "inspect this lining, inspect this fluid... " etc etc etc...Tech guy at the shop told me the maintenance includes flushing the injectors and a bunch of other stuff to the tune of $500.

I'm gonna say it's just another dealer moneymaker and I'm free to pass on all this. I'm all for maintenance and maintaining my vehicle but I don't want to get robbed paying for stuff that isn't necessary if I can help it. All I've done so far is Mobil 1 oil changes every 3-5k miles and 2 tire rotations.

What to do?

Thanks!

Last edited by ChloeC; 07-12-2016 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: ... typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 03:35 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times
I'm not opposed to scheduled maintenance by any means, but $500 is absurd.

The injector flush is a joke. Running a $8 can of Sea Foam through the tank would have the same effect, not that even that is likely necessary unless you have reason to believe that you've used contaminated gas somewhere along the line.

You can do the cabin air filter yourself, even if you're the least mechanically inclined person on the planet. There are plenty of online resources that will walk you through it step-by-step; it doesn't even require any tools. Just pull it out and hold it up to the light; if light filters through, put it back in and check it again in a few months. If not, go to the closest auto parts store and pick up a new one for $10 or so.

Even the most pathetic quick lube place will check all your fluids when they change the oil. Better places will also check the brake pads and undercarriage parts.

Anyway, I'd vote ripoff on this $500 deal.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:36 PM

19,011 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Nothing. Find a pal who can replace air filter and buy it at any parts store. Buy carbon one, they are better quality. They are usually easy access in glove compartment.
For the rest of nicely tell the person you "will consider" and simply toss his printout into the trashcan behind the door outside. So that he does not have his feelings hurt when he witnesses you doing this inside.
That's it.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:09 PM

505 posts, read 846,790 times
Lol@ $500 just to inspect stuff. Like others said, pass. A year old car doesn't need any sort of flush. Period.

And running Mobil 1 for only 3-5K is a waste. It can go longer than that.

Last edited by mclasser; 07-12-2016 at 04:18 PM..

Old 07-12-2016, 09:22 PM

759 posts, read 636,164 times
Thanks everyone... that's what I figured.

Gonna pick up the cabin air filter... and yeah, Mobil 1 every 3-5k may be a waste... I dunno. I generally pay around $60 for the oil/filter and the service. I did take it to 6k once... but given the price I never cared to push it much beyond that.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:05 AM

19,011 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Chloe, you need a FRIEND with arms growing out of his shoulders, not buttocks, to do some friendly work on your vehicle. Thing is, crowd is conditioned into belief that mechanics and cars are something for godlike people only and mortal human can possibly not be able to do anything there. That's why you need to see Mr MECHANIC. A God.
Reality is, fella may not even been to college to do his job. Seen plenty with on site training only. Cares less about you and your car. Is incentivized on how much money YOU spend at the cash register. That's it.
Hence, as I said, find a FRIEND with basic skill and tools.
Did you know you are actually NOT required to do your maintenance at dealership? Unless it clearly states so in your Dodge warranty agreement? Not what DEALER told you. What Dodge says.
Just saying.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:09 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,026 times
These mileage interval maintenance packages need to go away like the dodo bird. Owners should just disregard them. Look at your owners manual and it will tell you exactly what is needed and at what mileage. Anything beyond that is just fluff and money generating services from dealers. And like you stated, these were mostly inspections. Yeah, I'm sure they inspect everything with a fine tooth comb.

Most modern cars don't need much. Most don't even come with a tranny dipstick anymore or power steering fluid. So all you really have to worry about for the first 30-60K miles are oil/filter changes and possible spark plugs (many are now 100K though). Coolant is long life now and good for 100K+

Old 07-15-2016, 10:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I go by the manual, for warranty compliance, and 20,000 was an oil change and otherwise just inspections, with the cabin air filter change only if found to be dirty. We just changed the one on our Escape at 30,000, and in fact, the Challenger shows it to be changed at 30k along with the engine air filter, and again, just inspecting everything else. With the 5.7, however, it calls for new spark plugs at 30k and oil change on the manual transmission, if you have one.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:56 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,711,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
Thanks everyone... that's what I figured.

Gonna pick up the cabin air filter... and yeah, Mobil 1 every 3-5k may be a waste... I dunno. I generally pay around $60 for the oil/filter and the service. I did take it to 6k once... but given the price I never cared to push it much beyond that.
I have a Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. I got a decent deal on the prepaid maintenance so I'll take it in every 5K. After that...yeah, it's going back to whenever the oil life monitor dings at me. My '14 with the V6 went between 8-9K per change. The Hemi in the '16 says every 10K or whenver it dings. I'll switch to synthetic when I get it changed the first time.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:33 PM

8,108 posts, read 3,661,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I go by the manual, for warranty compliance, and 20,000 was an oil change and otherwise just inspections, with the cabin air filter change only if found to be dirty. We just changed the one on our Escape at 30,000, and in fact, the Challenger shows it to be changed at 30k along with the engine air filter, and again, just inspecting everything else. With the 5.7, however, it calls for new spark plugs at 30k and oil change on the manual transmission, if you have one.
Spark plugs and manual transmission oil change at 30k on a modern day car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive