Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 12:01 PM

375 posts, read 610,243 times

Advertisements

Not sure which forum is best for posting this question, so I’ll start here.

My 2008 Honda CRV is under recall for Tataka airbag replacement which I hope to have the dealer do sometime this summer. I understand that these bags are particularly dangerous in warm humid climates, but that even in other climates the older these bags are, the more dangerous they become.

I just received a letter from a “lemon law” legal firm in Los Angeles that’s soliciting my case (not for class action purposes) stating that I “may have the right to a full refund or cash settlement. California consumer protection laws are amongst the strongest in the nation and they require that the manufacturer pay your attorneys’ fees and costs. We only get paid if you win.”

Is this worth pursuing? Anybody had any dealings with such law firms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 12:42 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
No.

Go to Honda and request a lender. They should give you one until the repair can be performed. That's my opinion anyway. If you feel you're due some compensation for driving around in a potentially dangerous car (although failure rates for most are very low, although some specific cars have 2%+ failure rates that's not the majority) I guess. That just personally feels to me like just a moneygrab move though. If they won't provide a lender I'd be more inclined to say yes, lawyer up. They should provide a lender though. Honda isn't interesting in being Toyota #2.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:51 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,953 times
lemon law legal firm??? Did they contact you out of the blue? Sounds like one of those ambulance chaser legal firms. I would defiantly get the recall done.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:53 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,143,122 times
Speaking with my friend who works at my local Porsche dealer, it's unknown to dealers when the airbags will ever arrive for recalls. Takata would need to build many more factories today and run them tomorrow non stop forever to supply the demand. When they take in a vehicle on trade that needs the airbag recall, guess what....vehicle has to sit on property and can't be sold until recall has been performed. The only way it'll sell is to a wholesaler (i.e. small crappy used car lot owners will come buy them)

Old 07-21-2016, 05:41 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
From a quick google it doesn't look like the CA lemon laws even apply to your car.

What motorists should know about California's auto lemon law - latimes

"The law applies to any problem that "substantially impairs the use, value or safety" of a car covered by a manufacturer's new vehicle warranty, provided the problem is discovered within 18 months or 18,000 miles of purchase or lease. Even if you bought the car used, the lemon law applies to the vehicle if the original warranty is still in effect."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive