Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 11:58 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why not?

Many of them do fine. Mercedes, BMW, etc.

Depreciation? I wouldn't want to drive any 100k+ car that much per year. It could be a zr1 and it would hold true at least for me

Old 07-15-2016, 12:01 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Depreciation? I wouldn't want to drive any 100k+ car that much per year. It could be a zr1 and it would hold true at least for me
It will depreciate either way. Keeping my cars at 6000 miles a year has done little to keep much depreciation at bay.

The only way to avert this is buy used.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:04 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
It will depreciate either way. Keeping my cars at 6000 miles a year has done little to keep much depreciation at bay.

or you buy a collectible in high demand....like a Porsche 996 GT3 or the ones with the air cooled engine.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:12 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:

I didn't say it would eliminate depreciation but you go buy a 150k porche and put 75000 miles on it in 3 years and see where it sits vs a 30k mile unit. Clearly you are aware of the impact on depriciation and are simply being obtuse for some unknown reason

Old 07-15-2016, 12:15 PM

772 posts, read 934,691 times
Getting back on topic...

A Corvette is not a prestigious car. It's the sports car that can be attainable by the middle class after years of hard work and the kids are grown and out of the house.

I had one, a Z06. Definitely nothing prestigious about it when the neighbors are tooling around in Mercedes, BMWs, Maseratis, Porsches, and the like.

I bought mine because a friend of mine had one and I liked it. My past experiences with sports cars have been Porsches, Supras, RX7s, NSXs, and Vipers. Never had a Corvette so I said what the hell.

Worst car decision I ever made. The engine dropped a valve, GM refused to cover it under warranty because the car had a tune, and I had to face the wrath of my wife as to why I needed to spend $11k just to get the thing road worthy again to sell it. Let me tell you, there's nothing prestigious about sitting in the local GM dealer's office and listening to them tell you that your warranty claim is denied, go pound sand. I've never been treated so poorly by an automaker.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I didn't say it would eliminate depreciation but you go buy a 150k porche and put 75000 miles on it in 3 years and see where it sits vs a 30k mile unit. Clearly you are aware of the impact on depriciation and are simply being obtuse for some unknown reason
3 X 15 is 75?

Huh?
I'm being obtuse?!

What I'm saying is regular driving (10-15k miles a year) vs like 6 or 7k a year will make very little difference in your depreciation.

25k a year will tank the crap out of any car, but the cars we're talking about (not collector cars, just normal $120k cars that y'all brought up) take huge hits right off the bat and mileage influences it less than you think. Especially in the non-crazy range.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Getting back on topic...

A Corvette is not a prestigious car. It's the sports car that can be attainable by the middle class after years of hard work and the kids are grown and out of the house.

I had one, a Z06. Definitely nothing prestigious about it when the neighbors are tooling around in Mercedes, BMWs, Maseratis, Porsches, and the like.

I bought mine because a friend of mine had one and I liked it. My past experiences with sports cars have been Porsches, Supras, RX7s, NSXs, and Vipers. Never had a Corvette so I said what the hell.

Worst car decision I ever made. The engine dropped a valve, GM refused to cover it under warranty because the car had a tune, and I had to face the wrath of my wife as to why I needed to spend $11k just to get the thing road worthy again to sell it. Let me tell you, there's nothing prestigious about sitting in the local GM dealer's office and listening to them tell you that your warranty claim is denied, go pound sand. I've never been treated so poorly by an automaker.
That's another thing.
Spend $78k on a car and get treated like the guy who bought a Cavalier.
Meanwhile, the guy in the low end $40k Benz gets all the perks and loaner car, washes, etc.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:35 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
That's another thing.
Spend $78k on a car and get treated like the guy who bought a Cavalier.
Meanwhile, the guy in the low end $40k Benz gets all the perks and loaner car, washes, etc.
He modified his car and wanted them to buy him a new engine. Sorry, assuming any dealer and manufacturer is going to subsidize your racing effort is a gamble.

Not all Chevy dealers are equal, so getting treated like a guy who bought a Cavalier...umm Cruze... can also mean getting loaner cars, washes, etc....

Old 07-15-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
He modified his car and wanted them to buy him a new engine. Sorry, assuming any dealer and manufacturer is going to subsidize your racing effort is a gamble.

Not all Chevy dealers are equal, so getting treated like a guy who bought a Cavalier...umm Cruze... can also mean getting loaner cars, washes, etc....
Wasn't commenting on warranty lapses bc of work done on a car (which pretty much everyone knows can leave you SOL). It reminded me of something else that disapppinted with the 'Vette - dealership experience.

No non-lux dealership around here is gonna give you a loaner car.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:06 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Wasn't commenting on warranty lapses bc of work done on a car (which pretty much everyone knows can leave you SOL). It reminded me of something else that disapppinted with the 'Vette - dealership experience.

No non-lux dealership around here is gonna give you a loaner car.
I admit that typically luxury dealers have more of them on hand and will give you one to go shopping while you wait for an oil change, but Chevrolet will give you a loaner car while your car is under warranty and if it is in during a warranty repair and it will take more than a business day. But beyond that, dealers do have the discretion to hand out loaner vehicles to whomever they like and for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive