Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 10:56 AM

761 posts, read 909,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
He modified his car and wanted them to buy him a new engine. Sorry, assuming any dealer and manufacturer is going to subsidize your racing effort is a gamble.
I didn't modify the car, I bought it that way. A simple flash tune does not void the warranty. To void the warranty, a manufacturer has to prove that the modification CAUSED the failure. That was not the case.

There were lots of examples of this particular type of engine failure that came out from completely stock cars. However, I was one of the first. Had it happened 6 months to a year later, with lots of documented cases from stock cars that had dropped valves, I would have been in a better position to fight them. The problem has been traced to a manufacturing defect by several independent shops.

I also wasn't racing the car. It was simply used as a weekend driver.

GM will never have me as a customer again.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:08 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,634,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
I didn't modify the car, I bought it that way. A simple flash tune does not void the warranty.

Flash tunes can change a variety of parameters that effect the performance of a vehicle. They are most certainly a modification and they will void a powertrain warranty. Buying a modified car doesn't absolve you of any responsibility.

Quote:
To void the warranty, a manufacturer has to prove that the modification CAUSED the failure. That was not the case.

Apparently they felt that a modification that causes the car's engine to perform outside of the parameters that they set should no longer be warrantied if it fails. Seems reasonable to me.

Quote:
There were lots of examples of this particular type of engine failure that came out from completely stock cars. However, I was one of the first. Had it happened 6 months to a year later, with lots of documented cases from stock cars that had dropped valves, I would have been in a better position to fight them. The problem has been traced to a manufacturing defect by several independent shops.

Probably true, but you give them an easy out when you or someone else MODIFIES THE CAR.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:18 AM

761 posts, read 909,576 times
Quote:
Flash tunes can change a variety of parameters that effect the performance of a vehicle. They are most certainly a modification.

I didn't say it wasn't. I said I didn't modify it, it was purchased that way.

Quote:
Apparently they felt that a modification that causes the car's engine to perform outside of the parameters that they set should no longer be warrantied if it fails. Seems reasonable to me.
Do you work for GM? Only someone with no understanding of mechanical engine workings would believe their excuse was "reasonable." They simply were trying to find a way to weasel out of paying for their shoddy manufacturing.

Quote:
Probably true, but you give them an easy out when you or someone else MODIFIES THE CAR.
Not anymore. Once the issue came to light with more people having the same problem with STOCK cars, they couldn't blame their customers anymore.

In the end, it doesn't matter to me anymore. I make a good salary and am a frequent purchaser of nice cars. Most of my social circle does as well, and when I count the number of people I've steered clear of GM, I've cost them far more than they've cost me.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:34 AM

28,877 posts, read 14,232,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Even people who don't care about cars assume your doing all right if your in a Corvette. Also seen as a super performance car, a car a lot of people are jelilous of. Also a luxurious car for the well heeled. A mid life crisis car too. Many people are knowledgeable about Corvettes all years.
How about a Nissan GTR costs even more but many people don't even know what it is. I don't think it has the same prestige except with knowledgeable sports car people.

The funny thing is the average late model Corvette is priced relatively the same as the base price for a Yukon XL. Bump that Yukon up to the Denali or Escalade packages and you are on Z06 territory.
When I see a soccer mom and flock of rug rats in a Yukon Denali , I assume that family is doing "all right"

Old 07-18-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Do you work for GM? Only someone with no understanding of mechanical engine workings would believe their excuse was "reasonable." They simply were trying to find a way to weasel out of paying for their shoddy manufacturing.

No. I'm just a grown man that knows you have to pay to play and when I modify my cars, I don't expect the warranty to cover them anymore. And I certainly wouldn't come whining to an internet forum about it as if it were my mission to help others by steering them clear of them. I think you are giving yourself a wee bit too much credit. Corvette sales are just fine.

The fact that *you* didn't do it is irrelevant.

I don't care if you or any one in your fancy social circle don't buy another GM, but expecting any other company treat you differently is not reasonable.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:51 PM

28,877 posts, read 14,232,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Never thought Corvette was prestigious but cheap alternative for people who can't afford Porsche and expensive imports. When I think of Corvette, I think of young white guy buzzed head, goatee, Oakley sunglasses, tank top, protein powder visible in the window and tattoos all over his arms driving to his mixed martial arts class or his job as a bartender at Chiles or some college bar.

Funny thing, I live by a pretty good sized lake so boating a huge thing here. Along with that comes bars on the water and such, filled with young women and older guys trying to pick them up. So the Corvette to me has the stigma of an over weight middle aged guy that can't really afford a boat but does pretty well and hangs out at the boat bars trying to pick up younger women. Along with the Vette they usually have white framed sunglasses (number 3 on the list of "how to be a douche") and a Tag Heuer Aquaracer on their arm.

Now that being said, the Corvette is the best bang for the buck. A fun fast, nice looking car that you really could use as a daily driver. If one can spend a little more and get the Z06, well now you can compete with cars 3 times the price.
Myself, I like to be unique so I would opt for a CTS-V. Not to mention, I'm over weight and middle aged, so I would fit the stereotype. No white frame sunglasses though and I wear an Omega.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:59 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My son has a new Vette. It's awesome! I grew up loving cars and passed that along to him. I've had some quick cars and some nice cars in my years, but the new Vette puts them all to shame. It seems a bargain to me, although I wouldn't want one at this point (70 yrs old).
Hey, go for it, 70 is the new 50! You ain't too old for some sort of 'vette!

Old 07-18-2016, 02:04 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,079,471 times
Quote:
Ok great! Then post up some GoPro footage of you wringing those cars out with your narrative so someone like me can get learned up. If you make the declaration you have to back it up. .
Typical ploy of attrition.
Quote:
I already have my opinion and I already get it. But yours is facts and all...right. Also, show me where and how I can get an M4 or Evora for the same price as a base Vette.
Here you go: M4, Evora
[Base ‘Vette = $55,400]

But please, continue decrying the existence of formidable comparables...

Old 07-18-2016, 02:07 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,165,406 times
Quote:
No. I'm just a grown man that knows you have to pay to play and when I modify my cars, I don't expect the warranty to cover them anymore. And I certainly wouldn't come whining to an internet forum about it as if it were my mission to help others by steering them clear of them. I think you are giving yourself a wee bit too much credit. Corvette sales are just fine.

I don't care if you or any one in your fancy social circle don't buy another GM, but expecting any other company treat you differently is not reasonable.
Relaying his experiences with the brand is not whining, especially as it's a well known issue now.

Took GM to court over dropped valve, and.... - Corvette Forum

You obviously have no idea the lengths GM will go to avoid taking responsibility for their own flawed products.

Court: Ignition-switch lawsuits against GM can proceed

Now here's what a car company who DOES care about it's customers does when a problem arises.

911 GT3 recall update: Porsche reportedly replacing all engines | Autoweek

Thomas Crown, why didn't you sue GM for damages? If I was out that much money I definitely would have gotten a lawyer involved.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Typical ploy of attrition.
Typical for someone trying to big boy on the internet. Your opinion is not a fact. I don't care who you are or what you do.

Quote:
Here you go: M4, Evora
[Base ‘Vette = $55,400]
Those are used cars. Comparing used pricing to new is dumb. You can get a used Vette too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive