Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:19 AM

990 posts, read 2,556,922 times

Advertisements

Boys, drink Malt liquor...

Gentlemen, drink single Malt Scotch.

Both take you to the same destination, BUT, there is a world of difference on how you get there.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:41 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Boys, drink Malt liquor...

Gentlemen, drink single Malt Scotch.

Both take you to the same destination, BUT, there is a world of difference on how you get there.
I drink root beer

Old 07-14-2016, 09:59 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
My wife who knows nothing about cars (your average person), thinks that Corvettes are what old men drive. She thinks the GTR is no different than an Eclipse/Integra/Celica etc and is totally shocked when I tell her the price. She thinks neither cars are expensive or prestigious looking. In her opinion, she considers Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc. as prestigious.

The only people that can appreciate a vette or GTR are car guys like us... regular people not so much.
The other day I was walking with my wife and pointed at a GTR, asking her if she'd like "one of those", she said the GTR looks like it's trying too hard and she would rather purchase a Ford Focus. I had to pause for a moment, both perplexed and proud.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
The other day I was walking with my wife and pointed at a GTR, asking her if she'd like "one of those", she said the GTR looks like it's trying too hard and she would rather purchase a Ford Focus. I had to pause for a moment, both perplexed and proud.
I would say the same thing about Bugatti.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:14 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I would say the same thing about Bugatti.
Something tells me those folks buy Bugattis to impress a very specific niche of people, and we are not in that niche to the effort falls flat. Then again, the same could be said for the tail-chasing 30k millionaire.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Something tells me those folks buy Bugattis to impress a very specific niche of people, and we are not in that niche to the effort falls flat. Then again, the same could be said for the tail-chasing 30k millionaire.
Not talking about people who buy Bugatti, but the car itself and more specially the designers, etc. Of course I think it's a butt ugly car so I'm biased.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:20 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Here at the beach you'd be crazy to drive any of those as everyone else with a beater will beat it to death with door dings. If just a cruiser car I'd rather have something like a T-bucket hot rod. Back in the day the only way the Mrs. drove the Porsche to work was when she had a private parking spot in a garage and only if she knew who was parking next to her. So it was protected all day and had a car cover.

You're crazy to park a nice car in public parking. I see Ferraris and such in Delmar in the lot and just SMH.

But, this is the land of million dollar homes. Anyone can sell their house here, move about anywhere else and "afford" a car worth a few hundred thousand easy.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:31 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Corvettes are for men with baseball caps and beards who don't have any imagination.
Says the BMW 3 series guy?

Old 07-14-2016, 10:47 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you're in a stripped Hyundai Accent struggling to make the car payments, a $65,000 car that is usually a garage queen second car for summer use is certainly an expensive, prestigious car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well only an idiot drives his good car in the winter where you are. Part of why I only stayed a short time in Iowa, in the rust belt you have to drive a disposable junker at least 1/4 of the year. For a real car guy, that's like making a deal with the Devil in exchange for say 15 years of one's life. No thanks!

My garage queen is an 88 M3, bought for about $10K around 2002, and now worth about $40K, with me only doing normal maintenance. Not 100% original, just over 100K miles, but in decent shape, presentable. It will be worth $65K soon enough.
My point is that "prestige" is in the eye of the beholder. The median wage in the United States is only about $30K. A $65,000 2017 Corvette is ridiculously beyond the reach of that median person. I'm not talking about self-designated "car guys". That median person is going to look at that car as a reflection of wealth they don't have. They can barely handle the car payment and insurance on their Hyundai Accent.

The fact that a Corvette would be invisible in all of the top-100 wealthiest zip codes or that some group of self-appointed "car guys" sneer at it doesn't change the fact that any $65,000 car projects wealth and income that median $30,000/year Joe doesn't have. Is some physician or investment banker making $500K+ with $10 million net worth going to think a Corvette is prestigious? No.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:11 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Nonsense.

Speed around the track is not necessarily a sign of handling and grace, the corvette accomplishes those numbers mostly on it's superior engine and so-so (for a sports car) handling.

Edited:

For those who confuse track speed with handling capability. Personally, I prefer a car in which the driver and the mechanicals combine to produce great handling - not electronics that "tamp" down the car's performance.

Speaking of Miata's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coowWcpvF3o

Once again we can see that a smaller car with "bigger HP" rules the day. Even though these are different model years, I am pretty sure this is still true of the current editions. As I said, I think the Corvette is too big for it's own good.
Your mechanically connected driver's car dream has been on the ropes for awhile. Everything is throttle by wire, tiptronic, electric steering, and electronically controlled braking and handling with electronic limited slip differentials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive