Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:17 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
How about torque? That is what accelerates. I should probably clarify that, I think most trucks COULD out accelerate the way most people drive there cars, not mash pedal to mash pedal.

Its been many years since I drove one, this was never even an option back then.
Yeah, often I don't accelerate any faster than the trucks do. No real point being a jack rabbit and getting to the next red light a few seconds sooner where you'll be sitting anyway so I take my time accelerating. Since I'm not in any particular rush I'll often sit in the right lane behind the trucks so I don't impede a jack rabbit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 06:25 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
News flash: There are other people in the world besides you. Why would you intentionally do something that you know is making other people unhappy and agitated?
So you must be the a-hole that is always riding my bumper with a cell phone stuck to you head.
I exceed the minimum and never exceed the maximum speed limit.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:49 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
So you must be the a-hole that is always riding my bumper with a cell phone stuck to you head.
I exceed the minimum and never exceed the maximum speed limit.
If someone is always riding your bumper, then you may just be the problem...

Old 07-15-2016, 10:50 AM

434 posts, read 1,040,553 times
That road is one of the few roads in the county that have a sensible 55 mph speed limit(most the county besides the interstate has 45 limit or lower. Theres one infamous speed trap that definitely needs a higher speed limit. Its 4-6 lanes and a lot of it is rural yet it is 45 the whole stretch).People many times must forget or like I said before, get distracted. Everyone seemingly wants to break the limit but when we are given a sensible limit people want to drive slower. Another good example of this is I-85 in the Atlanta area. There was a portion that was 55(it may still be like this... Not sure haven't drove over there in a while) and once you hit the next county it jumps up to 65. People are flying on the 55 portion, going no where near 55, more like 75. Get on the 65 portion, lol now let's go 55-63ish...its ridiculous! People who know what I'm talking can come back with well there's more traffic on the 65 part, yes there is, but even in light traffic conditions people are doing that. That's one of the reasons it has the traffic!!

Anyway from trucks in the right lane going faster than the left lane, how that is possible, I don't know. To driving slow on a highway or interstate. I think its just a distraction thing, people are just trapped in there own world. Causes them to do things like make 3 slow as hell tractor trailers go faster than them. Throw in volume, more vehicles, and now you have your traffic! Traffic is inevitable, I get that but.......again don't let 3 trucks go faster than you. Wtf!!?? Oh and why not rant some more. I can count on one hand how many times I fell asleep at the light. How many times have other drivers fall asleep? I will never have that many hands. Don't be afraid to wake that sleeping, distracted ******* up! 3 seconds is all someone should get before you get on the horn. This is especially annoying at short left turning lights. You got to honk them, don't be afraid. You don't... we all just missed the light! Don't be a tourist at an accident that's on the way other side of the highway and slow everyone down. Onlooker delays, jeez! Probably the most avoidable traffic situation. Smh!

I can go on all day but I will stop. Point is the smallest things believe or not causes traffic, that one driver can do it. You don't have to be burning out at lights,blowing lights, tailgating, being an aggressive ***, no you don't have to do that. Just maybe pay attention to the road a bit more and your speed. You know you, might could drive a bit faster than 40 in 55, that might be the reason why there is 10,000 cars behind you right now. And you beside that driver, same advice...heck the 3 trucks can't even drive faster than everyone now. Lol I'm done

Last edited by Ericmrtt; 07-15-2016 at 11:05 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 01:30 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
If someone is always riding your bumper, then you may just be the problem...
I've never gotten a ticket for obeying the law.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:47 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
......a 55 mph zone. I'm I don't know, 10th driver or so. Light turns green, I was like I need to get in the left lane because they already going to slow me down, and they are going to slow me down more when they all make that right turn like a mile up(their terminal is over there). Actually the lanes move exactly the same, in fact mine went a bit faster. I knew it! This didn't surprise me.

Why is this? Is your average driver just a slow poke? Distracted or something so they don't realize they are driving slow(same with driving too fast)?
Some of us like to drive at the posted speed limit. Unfortunately, that isn't fast enough for everyone.

Speaking of tractor trailers, why do people stop so close to a tractor trailer, knowing it's takes a bit longer to get up to speed? These people drive up onto the trailer, pressing on the brake several times before changing lanes aggressively.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:38 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Um, No.
Yes..

Peterbilt & Kenworth use, The PACCAR MX-11 has an output of up to 430 horsepower and 1,550 lb.-ft of torque.

Here is an engine for Mack trucks. The MP10® is a 16-liter engine has a horsepower range from 515 to 605 HP and torque ratings from 1,860 to 2,060 lb.-ft.

Volvo truck engine The big-block D16 offers five available power ratings up to 600 hp and 2050 lb·ft of torque.

There's more, but that's enough to show you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, often I don't accelerate any faster than the trucks do. No real point being a jack rabbit and getting to the next red light a few seconds sooner where you'll be sitting anyway so I take my time accelerating. Since I'm not in any particular rush I'll often sit in the right lane behind the trucks so I don't impede a jack rabbit.
Thanks for at least not being one of those people who feel the need to block people and slow other people down so they can't just go on there way. I know there are times where I just miss a light and everyone catches up, and I sit there lookin dumb and just keep doing it missing every light. There's also times where I will just be a 1/4 mile ahead of the group then make the light and keep going, and keep on just seeing the yellow. Gas mileage is at its worst when starting from a stop, so I know SOME times I do better than most by accelerating to make the light. To me though its not necessarily about saving a minute or two on a 10 minute drive, but I think also having to feel like I'm "in control of my road". I consider myself to be an aggressively-assertive driver..

Old 07-16-2016, 10:16 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Yes..

Peterbilt & Kenworth use, The PACCAR MX-11 has an output of up to 430 horsepower and 1,550 lb.-ft of torque.

Here is an engine for Mack trucks. The MP10® is a 16-liter engine has a horsepower range from 515 to 605 HP and torque ratings from 1,860 to 2,060 lb.-ft.

Volvo truck engine The big-block D16 offers five available power ratings up to 600 hp and 2050 lb·ft of torque.............
Trucks simply cannot out accelerate a car. They can't. Even when driven as bobtails they can't out accelerate a car.

The problem is not torque, the problem is power range. A few hundred RPM and the truck has to shift, and there is no way to shift a truck transmission extremely rapidly because all the gears are unsynchronized - that means the engine speed, gear selection, and road speed must all match up before it will go into the next gear. For that reason it is actually against the law for big trucks to shift while crossing RR tracks, because a careless driver may find himself out of gear and no way to put it into gear without coming to a complete stop. It happened to me once when I was new.

Meanwhile the car begins to pull away at 1000 RPM and gets to run all the way to 5000 RPM or more before yanking into the next gear.

There are certain speeds in certain gears when a bobtail will do very well against a car for a short period of time. But not from a full stop.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:11 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,898 times
Quote:
Trucks have incredible amounts of torque. If it wasn't for not wanting to throw the loads or trailers around, burn a bunch of fuel, be jerky on the connectors, or have a really rough ride, they could out accelerate most vehicles. They do it for a living, and if not loaded down, they are not usually that slow.

I drive a manual transmission though, and most ricers think I'm trying to race them light to light, and don't get I'm just using my power band to save time.
Here is what you two quoted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302;44760412 POST # 31
Um, No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307;44780438 POST #39
Trucks simply cannot out accelerate a car. They can't. Even when driven as bobtails they can't out accelerate a car.

The problem is not torque, the problem is power range. A few hundred RPM and the truck has to shift, and there is no way to shift a truck transmission extremely rapidly because all the gears are unsynchronized - that means the engine speed, gear selection, and road speed must all match up before it will go into the next gear. For that reason it is actually against the law for big trucks to shift while crossing RR tracks, because a careless driver may find himself out of gear and no way to put it into gear without coming to a complete stop. It happened to me once when I was new.

Meanwhile the car begins to pull away at 1000 RPM and gets to run all the way to 5000 RPM or more before yanking into the next gear.

There are certain speeds in certain gears when a bobtail will do very well against a car for a short period of time. But not from a full stop.
Here is what I tried to clarify on post #16.

Quote:
How about torque? That is what accelerates. I should probably clarify that, I think most trucks COULD out accelerate the way most people drive there cars, not mash pedal to mash pedal.

Double clutching is not that difficult and not that slow, and bobtail could easily out accelerate THE WAY MOST PEOPLE DRIVE IF THEY WANTED TO. Its just too bumpy and annoying to drive like that. There's also a little bit more range than 300 RPMs. Again to clarify, I was comparing a professional truck driver that wanted to haul ass and beat your average driver in an average vehicle. Most drivers do not rev anywhere near 5000 rpm.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:41 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I've never gotten a ticket for obeying the law.
1) Most people could say the same thing. Your statement, while meant to clever, is simply nonsensical.

2) Accelerating in a reasonable manner - i.e., faster than a loaded tractor trailer - isn't illegal. I've never gotten a ticket for it, and I'd be willing to bet that no one else has either.

3) You apparently find joy in pissing off other people. A little introspection may be in order. Why are you so angry? What happened in your life that motivates you to be an inconsiderate, narcissistic, curmudgeon?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive