Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 03:48 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times

Advertisements

Is this the same Consumer Reports that gave Tesla their best score ever...99 points out of 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 03:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Consumer Reports: Tesla must deactivate Autopilot steering

The automatic steering portion of Autopilot — which steers, accelerates and brakes Tesla vehicles automatically on lane-marked highways — should be deactivated "until it can be reprogrammed to require drivers to keep their hands on the steering wheel," Consumer Reports said.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has refused to disable the system, which could be done through an over-the-air software update, and has instead repeatedly defended it and said it's safer than human driving.

"Tesla is constantly introducing enhancements proven over millions of miles of internal testing to ensure that drivers supported by Autopilot remain safer than those operating without assistance," the automaker said Thursday in a statement.

What's the point of having an autopilot if you have to always keep your hands on the steering wheel?! Every time you fly commercially the aircraft is on autopilot while the pilots shoot the breeze with their hands off the controls.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:40 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times
If a Tesla on autopilot hits another car or some pedestrians and people are killed, any two bit lawyer will convince a USA jury to award the victims relatives many millions of dollars - even if the Tesla was not at fault.

That's why American cars were the last in the world to get anti-lock brakes.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:14 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Is this the same Consumer Reports that gave Tesla their best score ever...99 points out of 100.
Same Consumer Reports, I guess it's only a 99/100 when you don't use the Autopilot feature!

Old 07-14-2016, 05:38 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Tesla must have missed a bribery payment to Consumer Reports.
First it was the best car ever tested. Then the safest. Then it gave a "not recommended" rating due to excessive quality problems. Now it wants them to disable their biggest selling point of the car.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:00 AM

174 posts, read 189,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
If a Tesla on autopilot hits another car or some pedestrians and people are killed, any two bit lawyer will convince a USA jury to award the victims relatives many millions of dollars - even if the Tesla was not at fault.

That's why American cars were the last in the world to get anti-lock brakes.
You can't sue the government...

Old 07-15-2016, 07:05 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
You can't sue the government...
Actually you can, thanks to the Federal Tort Claims Act.

But I don't see where anyone suggested suing the government.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Actually you can, thanks to the Federal Tort Claims Act.

But I don't see where anyone suggested suing the government.
I know what I said, and the reason I said it is because I believe it allows Tesla to get away with things others manufacturers aren't able to.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:18 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
I know what I said, and the reason I said it is because I believe it allows Tesla to get away with things others manufacturers aren't able to.
Every car maker (hell, most businesses) have some form of government money channeled to them. That doesn't mean you are suing the government if you sue them.

And I'd rather the government spend a few billion on empowering useful technology rather than a few more nuclear weapons.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Every car maker (hell, most businesses) have some form of government money channeled to them. That doesn't mean you are suing the government if you sue them.

And I'd rather the government spend a few billion on empowering useful technology rather than a few more nuclear weapons.
Of course you are not literally suing the government, but I believe the government will protect Tesla, and that's why they can do things like have Autopilot enabled before anyone else.

BTW, the core communications protocol which you are using royalty and license-free to post your messages here (TCP/IP), was invented and developed by the Department of Defense to ensure reliable communication in the event of nuclear war, and then given freely to the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive