Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 09:36 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times

Advertisements

First, know what price range you can afford. This will help to narrow down the suggestions.
Second, describe your driving needs and the area where you live. Will you need a car to get to and from work, will you need to haul a family, do you live in mountain/snow country, any hobbies that would require a large vehicle like a truck or SUV?
Third, what type of vehicle do you want/need?
Fourth, any brands you prefer or absolutely hate?

There are many good vehicles today. The list of horrible vehicles is very short compared to the past and even those horrible vehicles of today are far better than many vehicles of the past. If you ask which vehicle you should buy, expect many answers. We may point you to vehicles you didn't know existed. Only you can decide what is best for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 10:09 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
Personally, I have no clues why people would ask complete strangers what kind of vehicle to buy.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:45 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Personally, I have no clues why people would ask complete strangers what kind of vehicle to buy.
Lots of people know absolutely nothing about cars. Other people have no idea what is even out there that might fit their criteria.

My beef with people asking for advice on what car to buy though, is when they don't give a budget, or they are completely all over the map with what they want that you can't narrow it down at all.

"I'm looking for a fun, sporty, little weekend car that I can go cruising in. It will also need to be able to go offroad, because I like to go off into the woods and camp a lot. Oh, it also needs to have some power to be able to tow my boat, and being a convertible is a big plus, I'm a very outdoorsy person."

Old 07-17-2016, 02:44 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Lots of people know absolutely nothing about cars. Other people have no idea what is even out there that might fit their criteria.

My beef with people asking for advice on what car to buy though, is when they don't give a budget, or they are completely all over the map with what they want that you can't narrow it down at all.

"I'm looking for a fun, sporty, little weekend car that I can go cruising in. It will also need to be able to go offroad, because I like to go off into the woods and camp a lot. Oh, it also needs to have some power to be able to tow my boat, and being a convertible is a big plus, I'm a very outdoorsy person."
And don't forget good on gas

Old 07-17-2016, 07:46 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
I guess if they had the answers we would prefer them to have, they would not be here asking.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:26 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So they can justify to their wives why they bought a particular vehicle as it "was recommended".

Old 07-17-2016, 09:30 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,574,271 times
People that know nothing about cars should not be buying cars. First, they are pray to unscrupulous sales and mechanics. Somehow, I do not feel they will excel as drivers either.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:08 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Soooo...FJ Cruiser?

Old 07-17-2016, 10:10 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
People that know nothing about cars should not be buying cars. First, they are pray to unscrupulous sales and mechanics. Somehow, I do not feel they will excel as drivers either.
So... You only buy things in which you're an expert?

Maybe before you dole out such profound life advice, take a remedial spelling course?

pray
prā/Submit
verb
address a solemn request or expression of thanks to a deity or other object of worship.
"the whole family is praying for Michael"
synonyms: say one's prayers, make one's devotions, offer a prayer/prayers More
adverbformalarchaic
used as a preface to polite requests or instructions.
"pray continue"

prey
prā/Submit
noun
an animal that is hunted and killed by another for food.
"the kestrel is ready to pounce on unsuspecting prey"
synonyms: quarry, kill
"the lions killed their prey"
verb
hunt and kill for food.
"small birds that prey on insect pests"
synonyms: hunt, predate, catch; More

Old 07-18-2016, 02:37 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
It is all kind of entertaining if you ask me. Let people ask anything that they want. We can tell how educated and series the consumer is with regards to the buying question by how detailed they are in writing the question.

Lets say someone tells us their budget, the type of car they want, the features they are interested in, says how they are going to use the car, if it is a daily driver or a garage queen, what cars if any they have researched, what kind of driving they do, what exactly are they looking for in a car, and any other information they may have then I am going to think that they are more series then someone that says, "What kind of car should I buy?"

Even better is when someone says: "I have narrowed my search down to two cars. I have researched both cars, I am interested in both but not sure on them. I have a question about X, Y, and Z." Now that is a person that is ready to buy a car. Even if I did not know the budget or anything about them, I could figure it out by looking at the two choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive