Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 01:12 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times

Advertisements

Get an extended warranty, like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzQCj-dbgN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWSPWTadDok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 01:53 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Only if you're buying a car that's out of your socio economic strata. Too many people of limited means buy a car for prestige instead of what really suits their needs. As some wise person once said...If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.
im sure Warren Buffet always ask how much whenever he buys something

Old 07-20-2016, 02:04 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Only if you're buying a car that's out of your socio economic strata. Too many people of limited means buy a car for prestige instead of what really suits their needs. As some wise person once said...If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.
This is an oft-repeated fallacy. That people buy cars for the prestige status, etc.

I drive a Mercedes and I wipe my you-know-what with the brand and the symbol. I could not care less. What I like about the current lower-priced Mercedes cars is the stunning interior design. No other $40,000 car comes close to this interior in terms of design or quality.

I can assure you that if Ford made a $40,000 car that had an interior that looked like this and had a sound system that sounded like the Burmester in the Mercedes and Porsches, I would most assuredly buy a Ford.

Instead what we get with the American brands is interiors that reek and look of plastic. Not nice plastic. But cheap plastic. The Fords drive great. But the cheap plastic interiors are a dealbreaker for many luxury car buyers like me. Life is way too short to drive a car that looks like Walmart inside.

I don't know why the U.S. brands refuse to get this right.

Last edited by sinatras; 07-20-2016 at 02:17 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 02:59 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
FWIW, I bought a 2012 CPO Lexus LS 460 about 20 months ago. It had 19,000 miles on it and came with the 100,000 mile warranty. So far, the maintenance costs have been reasonable.
You may not want to look at the 90,000 maintenance service.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:30 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Especially if you have a CPO warranty, you're probably fine. There is nothing wrong with it but you should know that things will cost more. Its part of owning one. That said, if its what you want and you can afford to pay a little more for maintenance go for it. If you're on a shoe string budget, you might want to consider something with lower cost of ownership.
Not all CPO warranties are the same. Buyer beware on that one and read the fine print carefully. Many of them cover basic power train items only but some extend the full bumper to bumper warranty. Big difference...

Old 07-21-2016, 07:37 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
This is an oft-repeated fallacy. That people buy cars for the prestige status, etc.

I drive a Mercedes and I wipe my you-know-what with the brand and the symbol. I could not care less. What I like about the current lower-priced Mercedes cars is the stunning interior design. No other $40,000 car comes close to this interior in terms of design or quality.

I can assure you that if Ford made a $40,000 car that had an interior that looked like this and had a sound system that sounded like the Burmester in the Mercedes and Porsches, I would most assuredly buy a Ford.

Instead what we get with the American brands is interiors that reek and look of plastic. Not nice plastic. But cheap plastic. The Fords drive great. But the cheap plastic interiors are a dealbreaker for many luxury car buyers like me. Life is way too short to drive a car that looks like Walmart inside.

I don't know why the U.S. brands refuse to get this right.
I think The newer Benz interiors are great except for one gigantic flaw: the screen. It looks like someone designed the interior and then said "oh crap, we forgot to add the screen! Let's just glue it right here on the middle of the dash." It looks awful IMO.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:20 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I think The newer Benz interiors are great except for one gigantic flaw: the screen. It looks like someone designed the interior and then said "oh crap, we forgot to add the screen! Let's just glue it right here on the middle of the dash." It looks awful IMO.

That's been my thought too. Or they stole the idea from Mazda. I have 8 inch screens in my 2015 Hyundai Sonata and 2016 Chevy Silverado and they both look like they belong there. Both are very well integrated into the dash.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:38 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Seems like all German cars are like that. That screen looks like a Pep Boys add on.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:11 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Seems like all German cars are like that. That screen looks like a Pep Boys add on.
Not true. There are plenty of German cars that have integrated screen.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:37 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Mercedes was first with the floating screen. It's only a matter of time before the other car brands do the same. Most of them already have a pop up screen that is no longer embedded into the dash

a screen embedded into the dash is A, too small and B, extremely hard to see/read

OH yeah and by the way, this MB screen has the resolution of an Apple retina display, best in class
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive