Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 11:03 AM

191 posts, read 230,447 times

Advertisements

I have a 2007 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (130k miles) that has some minor fender-bender damage on front right passenger side. Also has some hail damage. Drives fine and has no leaks, the only things it needs are new tires and maybe some new brake-pads (current ones became "glazed" and are rather noisy). There is a side-to-side crack in the windshield that I never fixed, but that's about it.

I'm currently in the market for a new, higher-MPG vehicle to serve as a replacement but I'm wondering what to do with the truck itself. I'm doubtful I'll get much for trade-in or selling it to an "official" dealer (they'll easily point out the hail damage etc), so I've been pondering whether to sell it privately (cash) to friends or family or just donate it and take a small tax deduction of some kind.

The title is free and clear and I have the actual lien release letter and title document from years ago.

I actually used the insurance check from the hail storm to pay off the remaining $3k of the auto loan, I never actually fixed the hail damage since I didn't care at the time (this has been my "daily driver" vehicle for 8 years).

What's the best course of action given what I've just described?

At this current time I have a budget of $15k cold-hard cash (from savings) I have earmarked and set aside for my next used car, but if I could get something out of my truck to add "on top" of that budget that would be nice too.

Thanks a bunch I'll check back on this thread later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 12:11 PM

772 posts, read 933,076 times
I'd sell it private party. You are correct, the dealer is going to offer you thousands less than you could get by going private party.

However, you will probably need to fix the windshield. Where I live, a crack covering the width of the windshield would not pass inspection. I'd pay to have new glass put in, then sell it. The hail damage (unless it's REALLY bad) shouldn't be much of a concern to most Jeep buyers, who will most likely use it for at least some light offroading, and dents and dings are part of the territory.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:28 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
Get the windshield and brakes fixed as both are inspection issues. Tires are too but many people I know would rather buy a vehicle with bad tires rather than new ones because that way you can tell if there is a problem that new tires may mask. That said, if you don't want to deal with fixing these issue then just trade it in and be done with it. You will be lucky to get $3K for it if not less.

I highly doubt someone would take it as a donation with all those issues.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:39 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Do you itemize your deductions on your tax return? Because if you don't (like 65% of the country) you will get nothing for donating it. And if you do, the impact on your taxes will be a tiny percentage of what the charity sells it for.

I'd price it cheap and sell it to the first taker, myself.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:49 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,744 times
I too would propose you fix windshield, brakes and maybe replace the tires. Get a fresh inspection on it.

Once that's done, list it locally (like on CraigsList). It's never a good idea to sell a vehicle to friends or family.

Teenagers or people looking for a winter vehicle may snatch it up.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:06 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
I would just sell it as is, especially if you live in an area like I do, that has no inspection requirement. Price it accordingly and be honest about what needs to be fixed. If you sell on Craigslist, I would have a separate email account used only for Craigslist and a burner phone. And only meet prospective buyers in a very public place during daylight hours.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:04 PM

191 posts, read 230,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Get the windshield and brakes fixed as both are inspection issues. Tires are too but many people I know would rather buy a vehicle with bad tires rather than new ones because that way you can tell if there is a problem that new tires may mask. That said, if you don't want to deal with fixing these issue then just trade it in and be done with it. You will be lucky to get $3K for it if not less.

I highly doubt someone would take it as a donation with all those issues.
The brakes are actually "new" (both rotors and pads new as of Dec 2015), it's just that the pads have apparently become "glazed" for some reason and they really squeal/screech at low speeds.

According to the brakes place this happens because the pads become hot.

I am reluctant to buy new brakes "again" but I suppose I'll have to.....

Old 07-21-2016, 04:10 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
I recently sold a used car. The dealer offered me 'top dollar' (their phrase) which was 40% of what I sold it for in one weekend on craigslist. But your truck is in poor shape so the dealer probably would not want it. In another thread there was an article about donating to charity and it is hard to claim more than a $500 tax deduction. So, see if you can sell it to a kid or as a worktruck for $800-1000.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:45 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
In another thread there was an article about donating to charity and it is hard to claim more than a $500 tax deduction. So, see if you can sell it to a kid or as a worktruck for $800-1000.
As long as the body damage isn't bad enough to make if fail inspection, I'd go $1500 to $2000 as it sits. A couple hundred to replace the windshield, a few hundred for new tires and $30 for new pads and it's good to go.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:59 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
As long as the body damage isn't bad enough to make if fail inspection, I'd go $1500 to $2000 as it sits. A couple hundred to replace the windshield, a few hundred for new tires and $30 for new pads and it's good to go.
SOLD! I actually have no idea what it is worth, just thought he should get some money for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive