Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:55 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times

Advertisements

I had a similar decision to make to the OP- before I moved closer to my job, I had a commute that was either 40 miles of highway + 10 miles of stop lights (50 miles total), or 55 miles of highway and 5 miles of back roads (60 miles total). I let Waze decide for me most of the time, and most of the time the 60 mile route was the fastest. After doing it for a couple months I noticed that when I came home after a day of all highway driving with cruise control, I had lots of energy left to play with the kids, but if I chose the route with stop lights or just couldn't use cruise control on the highway due to traffic, I would get home EXHAUSTED. So then I started always taking the highway and always driving about 3mph slower than the rest of the traffic so that I could sit in the right lane all day long with cruise control on. I found that 70mph in a 65mph let me sit with cruise control on the whole way, as traffic was going something like 73 or 75 on average.

Long story short- highway. And use cruise control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Hybrids won't really help you at 104 other than the fact that they typically have very low cd and LRR tires.
Hybrids also have smaller more efficient engines that run leaner that are capable of putting out less overall horsepower since they can rely on the electric motors when they need more. My ES300h gets better highway mileage than the ES350, and both cars have exactly the same drag coefficient since they are exactly the same cars just with different engines. The hybrid is EPA rated at 39mpg on the highway, and the non-hybrid is EPA rated at 31mpg on the highway. I just looked it up. Huge difference. I tend to get better than EPA ratings in my car too, although perhaps the same can be said for the non-hybrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 12:03 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I didn't drive it to get that, that is what it was rated by BMW in Germany.

According to your theory, if I have a 20mph tail wind, then all of a sudden doing 75-80 is the most fuel efficient speed.. right? Or if driving into 20mph head wind, doing 35-40mph would be the most fuel efficient speed...
Are you confusing liters for gallons?

Old 07-25-2016, 12:07 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
The fuel economy part has too many variables to say for certain. For wear and tear on the car, all highway is a clear win. I had one of those commutes and put 100,000 miles on the front brake pads. I'd only take the secondary roads when I knew the highway was going to be a traffic debacle. I-95 in New Hampshire is the only way to get to Maine so summer Friday afternoons with all the tourist traffic, I'd have to take the alternate route.

I agree 100% with the post that said that wear and tear on the driver is as important as on the car. Now that I have adaptive cruise control, a big commute with highway miles wouldn't be awful.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:17 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Why do you assume that? You have no idea what kind of vehicle the OP drives. I had a BMW that was rated at 34mpg at 104mph.
(UNECE) United Nations Economic Commission for Europe actually controls the accepted testing for fuel economy and/or energy consumption of vehicles in Europe. They use a process called New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) to test the energy consumption of vehicles. Their tests are not conducted measuring gallons, nor are they conducted at 104 MPH (they generally measure in liters and kilometers), and they have tested nothing that measures close to your claim.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:21 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLvpm View Post
The commute to my new job is 28 miles on roads with stop lights or 37 miles just taking the highway. I leave very early in the morning so there is minimal traffic both ways, and only about 5 minutes time difference. Which route is best for gas mileage or wear and tear on the vehicle?
As others have already mentioned, there is a trade off between the two routes based on the efficiency of the vehicle at the two different speeds as well as the actual time spent running the motor, both under acceleration or at a stop in traffic. Without a lot of data, and some specific details that will likely drive you crazy trying to collect, we will not be able to answer this accurately on a forum.

Your best bet is to drive both routes for a week or two and compare actual miles/gallons against each other. Weigh the results against the route you enjoy driving and find less stressful.

Congrats on the new job.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:49 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Congratulations on your new job. Best of luck.

Remember. Get there first and leave last. For that big promotion.

Is this Office Space the movie thread?

Old 07-25-2016, 03:06 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Are you confusing liters for gallons?
no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
(UNECE) United Nations Economic Commission for Europe actually controls the accepted testing for fuel economy and/or energy consumption of vehicles in Europe. They use a process called New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) to test the energy consumption of vehicles. Their tests are not conducted measuring gallons, nor are they conducted at 104 MPH (they generally measure in liters and kilometers), and they have tested nothing that measures close to your claim.
I'm completely aware of that. I'm talking converted numbers. The report was liters per KM. I'm pretty sure it was by BMW.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:38 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
no.

I'm completely aware of that. I'm talking converted numbers. The report was liters per KM. I'm pretty sure it was by BMW.
Don't believe your numbers are possible in reality. You posted the numbers, you back up your statement.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:18 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Don't believe your numbers are possible in reality. You posted the numbers, you back up your statement.
It could have been 10 years since I've seen that on a 20-30 yr old vehicle. I wouldn't even remember which forum to begin with. I'm not here to teach you everything, and it sounds like you are only trying to flip it on me for this ignorance you posted.

Quote:
But going much faster on the highway would have a negative impact on his fuel economy. Driving between 55 to 65 mph is more fuel efficient. When driving faster than these speeds, wind resistance will cause the engine to work harder and use more fuel per mile.
Why don't you try and back this up with some kind of proof and maybe I'll make an effort to prove you wrong twice.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:50 PM

30 posts, read 32,915 times
Thanks for all the responses. I only work 4 days a week and last week was the first. I alternated the routes and found I used less gas on the highway route. I drive a [mom]ivan now and hope to buy something smaller, perhaps a hybrid, after getting a few paychecks in the bank. We bought a house a few months ago and want to replenish savings before another big purchase.

Thanks for the job advice. I intend to excel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive