Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 12:41 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,248,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I challenge you to find me one verifiable instance where someone spent an additional $28K over five years keeping a used $12K car on the road, not counting regular maintenance, registration, and insurance which would have to be paid even on a brand new car. Heck, I'm willing to bet that you can't find one that costs that much to keep on the road even including those items.
I think I can easily win that bet. But I am referring to my courier vehicle, not a car used for commuting and running errands. I spent something more than $29,300 for repairs and maintenance in the five years ending this month, on a VW Golf TDI worth about $5,000 or so when I started. Insurance was extra, so was about $23,000 for fuel.

Total cost of ownership has been a bit over $0.19 not counting insurance, for the last five years. There really hasn't been any further depreciation; though it has a few more scratches and tiny dings, it still looks okay. I don't think there is any other car that would be so cheap to drive, about 50,000 miles a year, for most every year of the last thirteen.

I've never really considered replacing it. It is super-reliable, holds a lot of cargo for its size, and it's still a lot of fun to drive. (Various modifications have raised both HP and torque by 60%+)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 07:12 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
You are ignoring depreciation, which if often (if not usually) a greater expense than all other expenses combined. New cars always depreciate faster than used ones. Always.

In five years, the used car costing $12k may be worth $5k if it was very well cared for; or it could be worth $300 or so if sold to a wrecking yard.

But the $30k new car will depreciate somewhere between 45% and 55%. So will only be worth as little as $13k if it was well cared for, and considerably less if it was not. More money spent on maintenance and timely repairs usually pays for itself in a higher resale value.
I'm confused by this - your example shows the same rate of depreciation for both the new and the used car. You're also overestimating the amount of depreciation on a new car (depending on the make and model).

Old 08-05-2016, 07:44 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
I think I can easily win that bet. But I am referring to my courier vehicle, not a car used for commuting and running errands. I spent something more than $29,300 for repairs and maintenance in the five years ending this month, on a VW Golf TDI worth about $5,000 or so when I started. Insurance was extra, so was about $23,000 for fuel.

Total cost of ownership has been a bit over $0.19 not counting insurance, for the last five years. There really hasn't been any further depreciation; though it has a few more scratches and tiny dings, it still looks okay. I don't think there is any other car that would be so cheap to drive, about 50,000 miles a year, for most every year of the last thirteen.

I've never really considered replacing it. It is super-reliable, holds a lot of cargo for its size, and it's still a lot of fun to drive. (Various modifications have raised both HP and torque by 60%+)
You spent almost $6000 per year , for 5 years, to repair and maintain a $5000 car and you call it reliable???!? I'm surprised you're not embarrassed to post about it. Am I missing something???

Old 08-05-2016, 09:29 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You spent almost $6000 per year , for 5 years, to repair and maintain a $5000 car and you call it reliable???!? I'm surprised you're not embarrassed to post about it. Am I missing something???
I'm assuming based on the last line, he modified it to his tastes and is including that cost in "keeping it on the road".

Old 08-05-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Total cost of ownership has been a bit over $0.19 not counting insurance, for the last five years. There really hasn't been any further depreciation; though it has a few more scratches and tiny dings, it still looks okay. I don't think there is any other car that would be so cheap to drive , about 50,000 miles a year, for most every year of the last thirteen.

I don't think many other cars would have been as expensive to drive.
I can think of many ways to hit 250k miles for less than $35,000.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:00 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I don't think many other cars would have been as expensive to drive.
I can think of many ways to hit 250k miles for less than $35,000.
I don't see how. That's $0.14 per mile. When I worked out the all-in cost for my car doing 12,000 miles per year, I got $0.85/mile. A late model Corolla might be half that since it's less depreciation and better fuel economy. You still have to pay insurance, registration & inspection, property taxes in many states, tires, brakes, fluid changes, filter changes, etc. I suppose if you drive 40,000 miles per year in an econobox and do all your own maintanance and repairs, you could drop the cost per mile down close to that $0.14/mile but you wouldn't have grown-up's insurance with proper liability, medical, comprehensive, and collision coverage. You'd have a teenager's policy where if you hit something with your car, the lawsuit would take your house and drain your savings to zero.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't see how. That's $0.14 per mile. When I worked out the all-in cost for my car doing 12,000 miles per year, I got $0.85/mile. A late model Corolla might be half that since it's less depreciation and better fuel economy. You still have to pay insurance, registration & inspection, property taxes in many states, tires, brakes, fluid changes, filter changes, etc. I suppose if you drive 40,000 miles per year in an econobox and do all your own maintanance and repairs, you could drop the cost per mile down close to that $0.14/mile but you wouldn't have grown-up's insurance with proper liability, medical, comprehensive, and collision coverage. You'd have a teenager's policy where if you hit something with your car, the lawsuit would take your house and drain your savings to zero.
His $35,000 estimate was only including cost of car and repairs. He is adding another $30,000 or so in fuel and insurance based on his post.

So 250k in five years for $65,000.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:56 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
His $35,000 estimate was only including cost of car and repairs. He is adding another $30,000 or so in fuel and insurance based on his post.

So 250k in five years for $65,000.
I may be changing from a really sweet telecommuting job where I'm doing 12,000 miles per year of personal driving to a huge commute. I penciled in $10K/year in extra automobile costs. That's above and beyond the fixed costs like insurance, registration, and inspection. $65K looks about right to me. Maybe a little high for a compact diesel sedan but for a $35K car that gets 25-ish MPG, that's what my costs would look like.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:40 PM

I may be looking at it wrong. I've been traveling an average of 2500 miles a month for several years now and I haven't dealt with that high of vehicle cost yet.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:41 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Was having this discussion with someone...I was of the opinion that you shouldn't buy a car more than 25% of your annual gross income IF you have no debts besides a mortgage. If you have debts that number goes lower.

So, if you make $100,000/yr with no debts then buy a car for $25,000 out the door, i.e. a Toyota Corolla LE or similar. If you make $150,000/yr perhaps a Acura ILX or similar.

Someone else thought that was ludicrous! He thought a person with average debts ($500-600/mo.) and income of around $40,000 can easily afford to buy a car for $30k otd.

All above assuming single/married household with typical living expenses (rent, utilities, discretionary etc.)
Well, there's afford and is it a good idea. I'm not much over the 25% gross mark although I don't quite make $80k/yr. I could certainly afford to pay the car payment on something that costs 3x that without worrying about. My only other debt is student loans and even then $900/mo wouldn't exactly be hard for me to pay. It'd be money I couldn't use for other things though, so while I could afford it I don't want to. I'd really have to watch my spending everywhere else or it would impact my saving rate.

I mean, put it this way. If I wanted roommates and a $60,000 car that would work out to be cheaper than a $20,000 car. I'd rather not have roommates and am willing to pay an extra $600/mo in rent plus all of the utilities not to have them. To me that isn't any stupider than paying for a $60,000 car instead of a $20,000 one. Kids change that but there's no reason someone who is single without kids like I am needs their own place anymore than they need a $60,000 car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive