Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:46 AM

264 posts, read 250,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
PAy no attention to them. They have the right of yield. You wave "thank you" with your hand and point them somehow to proceed. Otherwise, and I had this happen, they may simply be provoking you to cause accident at your fault. Seriously.
I always assume this is the case if they have the right of way. Happens quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Honestly, I'd rather someone mistakenly yield/stop than enter an intersection illegally and get someone killed.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:49 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
Because they want to cause an accident or they have no idea how to drive a car. Either one or the other.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:41 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Speed limit reduction? Their radar detector just went off, or they see a cop up ahead? They are closing in on a car in front of them? Some roadside hazard ahead? Those are usually the reasons I see people hit their brakes on a straight stretch of road. I usually use it as an opportunity to look around and figure out why they are hitting their brakes. Usually I see the reason.

I'm talking about the ones where there is absolutely no reason. If there is a reason, I can see it, but a lot of times there is absolutely no reason.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:43 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Or just as likely if not moreso it could be that lady was a nervous driver, where she was too scared to go even when she had the right of way. That's what I assume see people in these situations that they're either nervous and/or confused about the rules of the road.

I use to be like that abit when I first got my license where when I was at an intersection I would be slightly hesitant to go and the other driver would go instead of waiting for me to make up my mind. It took me about a month or two to get more comfortable with driving and then everything was good, but I think for alot of people even after months and years are still hesitant and nervous drivers and so they continue to do stuff like waving other cars through even though they have the right of way.

For anyone in Canada, all you have to do is watch the TV show Canada's Worst Driver and you'll see a TON of clueless and/or scared drivers who are too afraid to drive in traffic or on the highway etc. Heck last year's 'winner' of the show was a young woman who drove pretty well on a closed course doing various driving challenges, but as soon as she was told to drive on the streets in live traffic on her own, she broke down and cried CONSTANTLY and was a complete wreak and became a incompetent and dangerous driver. There were other people who had less driving skill than her, but they all didn't breakdown while driving on public roads like she did.

So I guess its something to keep in mind next time when you see people not moving when they should, or doing other strange things that its quite possible that they're nervous/scared drivers.
Perhaps.

But one of the lessons that I received while I had my learner's permit was "don't drive scared." At worst, you endanger everyone on the road when you do... at best, you tick them all off.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:09 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Honestly, I'd rather someone mistakenly yield/stop than enter an intersection illegally and get someone killed.

True, better to err on the side of caution.

I was behind someone once that slowed down when we had right of way....They Had visibility more so then I did. Thank goodness I didn't honk or create a scene, up ahead was a truck spill....we weren't going to go anywhere for quite a bit.

Deterring a pileup? Yup!

Love how we assume things, none of us have 360 vision.. and a birds eye view...so maybe making safe decisions is the way to drive. This includes stopping and yielding given certain conditions....

Old 08-01-2016, 04:13 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I think it just confuses the whole intersection when someone doesn't GO when they are supposed to GO.
Agreed. This is something I complained about previously too: //www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-up-right.html

It creates confusion when someone isn't following the established rules of the road.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:51 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm talking about the ones where there is absolutely no reason. If there is a reason, I can see it, but a lot of times there is absolutely no reason.
You are probably not looking for the reason. I can’t count the number of times on strait roads when I saw break lights in front of me suddenly come on. Then a minute later I spot a cop sitting off the side of the road. When break lights go on, look for the reason.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:34 PM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This is something I've noticed more often and happened just again. I'm left turning across a two lane, with an on coming car. Ok, he has right of way so I'm stopped, waiting for it to clear. No problem. Then completely unexpectedly, he stops and motions me to turn. I've seen similar at an two way stop intersection. Cross street has no stop sign yet random cars stop when they should be going.

It's crazy. We've been getting that here more and more the past few years, but at stop signs. You pull up to a stop sign, the person across the way is ALREADY there and stopped. They will sit and wait for you, then motion you on. Waving back at them gets you nowhere.

If they just stopped and went like they are supposed to, they'd be through the intersection before you even got there.

I don't know where this "courtesy" nonsense came from but it's annoying and unpredictable and really needs to stop.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:46 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I bet they are playing Pokémon Go
Or they need to finish up the text message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You are probably not looking for the reason. I can’t count the number of times on strait roads when I saw break lights in front of me suddenly come on. Then a minute later I spot a cop sitting off the side of the road. When break lights go on, look for the reason.
I always get bothered seeing brake lights in front of me, because the person in the lane next to me is braking (for a turn or some other reason, the fool ahead of me doesn't need to be using them). I always think that's one of the most dangerous things to do because its completely unexpected and nobody else knows why unless they are able to assume the other person doing it for no reason is a complete idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive