Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 08:40 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,391 times

Advertisements

Hello --

I have a 2010 VW Beetle. I bought the car new and purchased an extended premium warranty. The warranty ends August 20th.

My AC was not cooling as quickly as I liked, so I took it to VW Dealer A. I did not purchase the car from Dealer A and they do not know I have an extended warranty. They put freon in (said it was low) and also said the cooling fan was failing. $1600 repair.

I took it to VW Dealer B, where I bought the car and purchased the extended warranty. They said everything is fine. The cooling fan will fail if freon is low. Now the freon is charged, they say the cooling fan is fine.

Who do I believe? What should I do? Any thoughts? I can force Dealer A to perform the work, as I have in writing their assessment that it needs a new cooling fan. They now know I have an extended warranty and it is covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 02:28 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
I'd quote someone. "That's what you have warranty for".
On the other note, I never heard of fan operation related to freon level. It may simply run more as ac computer will have to ovetax the system to keep it cold. But ac fans practically run non stop anyway. So not sure. Maybe it's some sort of Deutche wisdom, who knows.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:28 PM

505 posts, read 848,027 times
Have you changed the cabin air filter? You'd be surprised the affect a clogged one can have on A/C performance.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Did you just pay $1600 for a freon refill? I'm not sure if you changed the fan but was the fan changed? Assuming this is a electric fan? If that's so you paid way too much

Old 08-01-2016, 05:13 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
No, OP was told fan is failing and will be $1600 repair. Then OP took car to a different dealer who said that fan is OK. Dilemma.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:28 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
So now you go to a 3rd dealer, maybe a 4th one if necessary. If 3 different mechanics tell you the same thing then you should then know what the problem is.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:26 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
Hello --

I have a 2010 VW Beetle. I bought the car new and purchased an extended premium warranty. The warranty ends August 20th.

My AC was not cooling as quickly as I liked, so I took it to VW Dealer A. I did not purchase the car from Dealer A and they do not know I have an extended warranty. They put freon in (said it was low) and also said the cooling fan was failing. $1600 repair.

I took it to VW Dealer B, where I bought the car and purchased the extended warranty. They said everything is fine. The cooling fan will fail if freon is low. Now the freon is charged, they say the cooling fan is fine.

Who do I believe? What should I do? Any thoughts? I can force Dealer A to perform the work, as I have in writing their assessment that it needs a new cooling fan. They now know I have an extended warranty and it is covered.
Austin - The cooling fan is an electric fan (sometimes mechanical) that assists in drawing air through the radiator and condenser. The purpose is to assist in cooling the fluid in the radiator and consequently the engine. It is independent of whether or not your AC is cooling effectively.

Is your engine temperature running hot? Especially when idling in traffic, this is when the cooling fan's function is most critical.

An existing warranty is usually a huge motivation for a dealer not to do a needed repair. Do the evaluation above first and then make a decision.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:41 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
What cooling fan are you talking about? The one mounted to your radiator or the fan in the cabin? And what does a fan have to do with refrigerant level? btw- it's not called 'freon' anymore.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:35 PM

133 posts, read 211,238 times
I just replaced the cooling fan assembly (2 fans) in front of the radiator - cost me 85$ for the part. How does that fix goes for 1600$ ?? You better get a second opinion... not from dealer.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:42 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
What cooling fan are you talking about? The one mounted to your radiator or the fan in the cabin? And what does a fan have to do with refrigerant level? btw- it's not called 'freon' anymore.
The fan in the cabin is usually called the blower motor. It also has a relay which can go bad as well. Crooked mechanics will charge a customer to change the entire assembly while only changing a fuse or relay..

In this particular instance it is critical to know which component the dealer was referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive