Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 09:05 AM

71 posts, read 115,736 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever come across an insurance scammer? There are countless stories of scum creating accidents to get a nice pay day from your insurance company. What are your experiences?

I am unsure if I was a near victim of this several weeks agowhile driving down a 4 lane (45mph) road, in the right lane with a fairly new GM pickup about 4-5 car lengths ahead of me. I was not in a hurry and was enjoying the drive on a beautiful day when all of a sudden this truck brake checks me HARD. I mean… instantaneous brake pedal slamming action, the rear tires locked up. I had to slam on my brakes, obviously, but was far enough behind and my reaction quick enough where it wasn’t inches from collision. There was no reason for him to brake, we wereon a slight curve, completely open, I could see everything in front of him and there were no obstacles or threat of obstacles to be seen the entire time. The truck never came to a complete stop, but slowed down to 15-20mph due to the brake check.

I drove passed him after this and took a good look, it was a middle aged guy with what appeared to be his wife and despite me staring him down, he refused to even turn his head. I thought that was quite odd.

Last edited by hsniox; 08-01-2016 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 09:48 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,022,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsniox View Post
Has anyone ever come across an insurance scammer? There are countless stories of scum creating accidents to get a nice pay day from your insurance company. What are your experiences?

I am unsure if I was a near victim of this several weeks agowhile driving down a 4 lane (45mph) road, in the right lane with a fairly new GM pickup about 4-5 car lengths ahead of me. I was not in a hurry and was enjoying the drive on a beautiful day when all of a sudden this truck brake checks me HARD. I mean… instantaneous brake pedal slamming action, the rear tires locked up. I had to slam on my brakes, obviously, but was far enough behind and my reaction quick enough where it wasn’t inches from collision. There was no reason for him to brake, we wereon a slight curve, completely open, I could see everything in front of him and there were no obstacles or threat of obstacles to be seen the entire time. The truck never came to a complete stop, but slowed down to 15-20mph due to the brake check.

I drove passed him after this and took a good look, it was a middle aged guy with what appeared to be his wife and despite me staring him down, he refused to even turn his head. I thought that was quite odd.
I once rear-ended a car stopped between the #2 and #3 lanes while it was apparently trying to make a right turn into a parking lot. I was in the #2 lane and my right headlight smashed into his left rear bumper. His car had no damage except for very light scratches on the bumper, but the driver was crying that his neck was hurt. The paramedics loaded him onto a backboard and he went to the hospital in an ambulance. I was found at fault for an injury accident. At first I felt terrible about hurting the guy. But the more I thought about it, I felt like it was a scam. Why would he stop in heavy traffic halfway between two lanes like that? And his crying about his neck being hurt, just seemed too fake. How could his neck be hurt that bad, if the collision didn’t even dent his bumper?

Anyway the weird thing was, that my insurance company was never able to contact him, and he never filed a claim. I’m guessing that the hospital told him that there was nothing wrong with his neck, and he dropped the matter. But yeah after talking to other people, I got the idea that he was trying to scam me.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:54 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
One of the reasons why it is good to have a dash cam as many of those are staged in ways that after the fact it looks to be your fault.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:04 AM

505 posts, read 846,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
One of the reasons why it is good to have a dash cam as many of those are staged in ways that after the fact it looks to be your fault.
+1 a dash cam is a good idea. A lot of scammers out there looking to make a quick buck.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:06 AM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Had this happen 3 times.
1. was going up hill on empty 4 lane arterial. 50mph speed limit. Old Ford went past me and then into my R lane. Once again, NO cars only two of us. We keep going uphill then suddenly he slams on the brakes.
Fortunately, I was well aware that L lane was empty and jumped into it. So that went well. Next street light was red, he gets beside me - I glance at him - he starts fingering me and pretending he'll drive his car into my pass side. Except that there was about 5 more vehicles at that intersection.
2. Nashville TN. I sit at red light, 2nd car. Rain. Guy in front of me hits reverse and drives his car into my bumper. Except that I was quick enough to hit my reverse and back some, so it was only gentle touch. Green turned on, he took off.
3. Pulling into arterial. Chevy Cavalier with V6. Good it had some whoomp. I sit calmly waiting for oncoming vehicle to go past me. Driver turns L turn signal light on and clearly starts slowing down, like as if to enter parking lot entrance to my left. I start pulling into arterial, he turns blinker off and hits accelerator. As I said, good that Cavalier had V6. I ripped tires with smoke and manged to jump in front of him into the next lane, as I already was half way into arterial.
So yes, folks do this. That's why you never take "windows" or pay no attention to other drivers "courtesy" on the road. You never know.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:31 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,149,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
he starts fingering me
Well, that certainly must have been awkward...

Old 08-01-2016, 05:25 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
OP you might have been the victim of a planned auto scam....
How to Handle Staged Auto Accidents, Fraud & Scams | DMV.org

Old 08-01-2016, 05:29 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,952,148 times
I'm helping on a case where a lady was rear ended at 5mph. Never went to the hospital but is suing for hand injuries, trigger finger, neck injuries, missed work, and emotional distress.

I'm dubious of her claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive