Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:08 AM

64 posts, read 92,264 times

Advertisements

I have a Chevy impala 2008, I got our car diagnose at one place and they said we needed the front gasket fix and we had three oil leaks so we got that fix at another shop. Well it's still beeping oil pressure low,So I called the shop and the guy said it could be the oil pump. If not done it could lock the car, I have a child and we already paid over 800 dollars to fix the other issue. I'm wondering why didn't he tell me that it could have been that issue. I'm thinking since the first car place diagnose my car that they would have seen if it was an issue with the oil pump? Should I get a third option? I checked the oil and it's alot in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 10:52 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
How many miles on the car, and do you keep the oil changed on time?

Old 08-01-2016, 10:54 AM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Low oil pressure has little to do with oil leaks. Unless oil is gushing out.
Oill pressure is low because either low oil level, or clogged oil passages, or bad oil pressure sensor or major leak AROUND that sensor or, last, bad oil pump. Though oil pumps are mechanical and seldom go bad. It's set of two gears. For that to go bad it must be really crappy made. But they do.
Another very common - and likely - reason is bad connecting rod bearings on crankshaft. THAT is actually very likely. So you may have everything else working fine, but those bearings leak oil out and pressure does not build up.
That said, unfortunately, you need A VERY HONEST AND GOOD MECHANIC to have this properly diagnosed.
Or, you will be Dairy Queened on this car forever. My bet they will replace everything possible and THEN tell you about bearings. Along the tune "engine needs to be removed to have them replaced (no, it does not, but who wants to do it easy way. Sorry, less profitable way).
Good luck. And yes, you can seize the engine.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:48 PM

64 posts, read 92,264 times
Thanks you guys it just is awful I was just thinking that the mechanic could have seen that oil pump while fixing other things it seems like he didn't care.. .and your right a good trusting mechanic would help

Old 08-01-2016, 04:32 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times
I would change the oil and filter first. I used to have a Buick that would have the low oil pressure light come on and someone told me to change the filter and do not use Fram, which I did and it stopped the light. Next, isn't there a sensor that could be bad? I had a car that had a low pressure reading. Replaced the sensor and it was fine after.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:59 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Could be as simple as a bad oil pressure sensor. They do go bad. They should of checked the actual oil pressure by testing

Old 08-01-2016, 05:56 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
When you first start the car the oil pressure should be 40-60 after it's warmed up and idling it should drop to about 20-25. When you drive the faster you go it should creep up over 40.

So if you have an analog oil pressure gauge on your dash which i believe 2008 impalas do you should just watch the gauge. If you are in these specs i wouldn't worry.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:17 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Another reason for low oil pressure is simply engine wear. By the way, there is a difference between low oil pressure and low oil level. The latter can cause the former, but make sure the mechanic is explaining the problem to you clearly.

Before taking it into any more mechanics, check the oil level yourself when the engine is cold. If they were very dishonest, they may have deliberately left it low to get you to return and continue to stick it to you.

I wish you well, mechanics are a tricky bunch to deal with! They still try to rip me off and I am a very experienced DIYer.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:32 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
I would go to a trusted shop and have the oil pressure checked with a mechanical gauge connected to a main oil gallery. Then you will know what the REAL oil pressure is!
If it really is low, then you need to find out why.
Yes, it could be the oil pump.
Yes, it could be low oil level (but I doubt it).
Yes, it could be worn bearings (connecting rod, main, or cam).
It could even be something very rare, like an internal oil gallery plug that came loose.
A competent mechanic who knows more about trouble-shooting than hooking up a computer should be able to figure it out.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:18 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Before spending a lot of money on unnecessary parts, first go the cheapest and replace the oil pressure sensor. They go bad just like the water temp sensor, usually no temp. and a fan thermo switch sensor. These get stuck on or off. Stuck off- engine overheat, stuck on- fan runs when engine started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive