Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 05:33 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times

Advertisements

Never believe Craigslist emails in which the "buyer" suggests you ship the car. The only venue in which shipping and Paypal payments on vehicles are commonly done is eBay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 05:52 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyInvest View Post
It sounds legit but I want to make sure I am not missing anything. I post a car for sale online and a guy emails me saying he will buy the car at the listed price along with the following message:

"payment will be sent via PayPal, my shipping representative will come around to inspect and take care of any necessary document needed for the purchase on my behalf. When funds clear in your bank linked to paypal account then my shipper will come around to the meeting address for inspection and pickup. In the meantime send me a payment request , cell phone number and a meeting address so i can complete the payment as soon as possible. My paypal email is the same . Thank you"

Again sounds legit to me but I have never done a sale like this before where someone Paypals me and someone else on his behalf comes to inspect and pickup the vehicle. Thanks!
Red Flags,
1. Full Price sight unseen
2. Paypal payment
3. Using a representative
4. Using a different shipper
5. Sale completed ASAP

Had this same scam attempt when i sold my boat, the back story changes a little, but the scam is all the same.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:05 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Or PayPal unless you're selling on eBay.
I am sure there is a lot to be cautious about but don't paint all PayPal transaction as questionable. I have used PayPal to buy and sell items for years without a problem.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:50 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I am sure there is a lot to be cautious about but don't paint all PayPal transaction as questionable. I have used PayPal to buy and sell items for years without a problem.
On Craigslist? With no control system in place? With no HeatWare, eBay feedback or any other way to tell that your buyer isn't a scammer? Either you're being disingenuous or you really need to start playing the lottery with that kind of luck.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:20 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
It's a scam. Get something similiar anytime I post on Craigslist. I even offered to get a cut of their scam in return for profreading their terrible English. No response.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:08 AM

505 posts, read 847,665 times
Yep, that has scam written all over it. It seems like you're new to selling things on CL. Read about common scams online so you can protect yourself.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:04 AM

444 posts, read 324,697 times
I think my Mom had a very convincing person try to scam her. There is ALWAYS PayPal involved. ALWAYS. PayPal is just about USELESS.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:32 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post
I think my Mom had a very convincing person try to scam her. There is ALWAYS PayPal involved. ALWAYS. PayPal is just about USELESS.
Not at all. Just need to know what it's good for and what it's not.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:30 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Only use Craigslist in a country that's not saturated with guns. If you must use it in the USA, and you have to meet a stranger, meet them at the police station, or at least in a very public place where you can count on always having dozens of witnesses. The more witnesses there are, the more the stranger will hesitate to shoot you. Having a gun of your own won't help. By the time you notice the stranger has a gun and is going to shoot you, you will already be dead.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:34 AM

723 posts, read 1,005,106 times
Default If it smells like **** then usually it is ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyInvest View Post
It sounds legit but I want to make sure I am not missing anything. I post a car for sale online and a guy emails me saying he will buy the car at the listed price along with the following message:

"payment will be sent via PayPal, my shipping representative will come around to inspect and take care of any necessary document needed for the purchase on my behalf. When funds clear in your bank linked to paypal account then my shipper will come around to the meeting address for inspection and pickup. In the meantime send me a payment request , cell phone number and a meeting address so i can complete the payment as soon as possible. My paypal email is the same . Thank you"

Again sounds legit to me but I have never done a sale like this before where someone Paypals me and someone else on his behalf comes to inspect and pickup the vehicle. Thanks!
Go with your instincts!

Only deal with local buyers and cash online----
CASH talks and BS walks---
Its usually guys from Africa with the old I will send you a money order; also they never try to get a lower price those two things are your tip off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive