Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 04:03 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I don't have a brand preference...however, if you need space for more people, you can get a dual cab (instead of going with an SUV). Both my Dodge and my GM pickups have have overdrive cutout switches to address your gear-ratio question. Get a tow package with the extra tranny cooler- my Dodge also has a tranny temp sensor too, that will indicate if there is an overheat issue.

Also, consider getting adjustable airbags in the rear. You can get the simple ones with exterior fill valves, or the pricier option that has a compressor and gauges so that you can adjust from the cab. The bags will help to keep your ride-height correctly to improve stability and handling...and will help to keep your headlights from blinding other drivers.

The airbags (and/or airshocks) will also benefit if you decide to get a bigger trailer in the future, especially if you for for a 5th-wheel trailer.

Make sure that your hitch is the proper class to support any [heavier] trailer that you might want in the future- it's cheaper to go big the first time than to have to rip it out and replace it.
Tow package, airbags, and aftermarket equipment is overkill for what you are saying you want to do. If you are confident that a 2,000 pound trailer is the range to be in, any modern 6 cyl SUV or truck is more than capable to do what you want to do. You should get the factory equipped hitch and harness for trailering and then enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
At just 2000 lbs, I doubt you damaged a driveline components in your 300C if the rest of it held up 225,000 miles. Typically, the tow ratings for passenger cars these days are limited more by the cooling and/or braking capability of the car, and not the durability of the driveline components.

I tow a camper that is about that heavy fully loaded with gear, and have used a V6 Subaru Outback and a turbo four Lincoln MKC. Both pull the camper pretty effortlessly.

A pickup is probably overkill for what you want to tow, but I would say go for it if you think you will otherwise enjoy owning it and/or have other uses for it. Just be sure to get a lot of drivetime ahead of time. Maybe see if a dealer will let you have one for a weekend (most around here will). The ride, handling, nimbleness, etc, is going to be way different than your 300c. Also, even though you can find them with V8's, its not going to necessarily be geared for a sporty demeanor as much as the 300c.
The good advice here is going to be driving the vehicle ahead of time. More than a quick trip around the block. You are used to a car that is categorized as a near-luxury vehicle. Some of the current generation trucks are capable of comparable ride quality, but they will not be the entry level trim and option package.

I buy lots (literally hundreds) of vehicles annually and have driven thousands of miles in all three manufacturers trucks. The quick lowdown is Ram (formerly Dodge) has a lot of issues with the Hemi as it ages. Camshaft failures in my fleet are at about 20%+ for all over 100k so far. Front suspension components fail almost 100% of the time, and overall fit and finish is not as good as either of the other manufacturers from USA. Dodge arguably has the best ride though. Chevy/GMC current generation is quieter (significantly) and rides really nice but the seats suck if you don't get the interior upgrades. Entry level seats will be cursed after more than an hour or two in the vehicle, especially if you like that luxury you are used to. Ford has the greatest seats, (subjective, I know) but is noisier and, as mentioned, currently thrives on the "best selling" mantra so offers a little less incentives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 04:31 PM

757 posts, read 838,324 times
Consider paying extra and getting a diesel. No towing worries. If you are in the mountains you will not regret it plus should you upgrade in trailers, your diesel will not notice it. I have owned both; towed different types of trailers and I like my F350 and the power it brings and stability. It also has a 35 gallon fuel tank, long bed.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:29 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Consider paying extra and getting a diesel. No towing worries. If you are in the mountains you will not regret it plus should you upgrade in trailers, your diesel will not notice it. I have owned both; towed different types of trailers and I like my F350 and the power it brings and stability. It also has a 35 gallon fuel tank, long bed.

Just my 2 cents.
Diesels aren't the "deal" they were years ago. They cost 10K more and don't really get better mileage due to all the emissions crap.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:30 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Ford F-series try to find a late model one 2009-2014 with the 5.0 Coyote V-8 and HD tow/Haul pkg but i am biased to the f-series GM/Chevy and Ram make good full-size trucks as well it up to the person.

If you like the Hemi then a 2009-present Ram 1500 with a 395HP 5.7L Hemi V-8 is another option OP also would get the HD tow/haul pkg for the HD tranny cooler and larger HD factory Radiator

also GM/.chevy has great trucks would stick with their 5.3 vortec V-8 or 6.2L Vortec V-8 over their smaller base 4.8L Vortec V8 as it is under powered for a full size truck used for towing and the fuel economy from the 4.8L and the 5.3L is minimal in fact the 5.3L may get the same or better fuel economy
F150 had the awful 5.4 until 2010, 2011 brought out the 5.0.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
My Ranger 4x4 4.0 V6 will pull 6,000 lbs, has the towing package. It's now 8 years old and 73,000 miles with no problems ever. Too bad they are no longer made. The F150 now gets better mileage with more power though, just takes up more room in the driveway. I would stick withe the F150, though I love my Challenger, I just think Ford makes the best trucks, and the truck buying public always seems to agree.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:55 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Interesting question, MetalManCPA . . .

I've been "casually researching" Pick-Ups and am seriously considering the new Chevrolet Colorado. Lots of great features both inside and out minus much of the unnecessary excess.

Good Luck.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:10 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post

Just my 2 cents.

A diesel is way overkill for a 2000 lb trailer. And if you do a lot of short trips, it is really hard on the engine, as it never warms up completely. I wouldn't even consider a diesel unless I was pulling over 10,000 lbs.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:31 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Get a Tacoma with the 4.0 V6 and towing package, it's all you need for a small trailer, and it'll be more reliable and hold its value better than any other pickup.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:36 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
One thing I didn't mention earlier is getting a tow package. In Alaska virtually every new truck is 4x4 and comes with a trailering equipment package. That may not be the case where you live. If you live in an area that doesn't get snow and ice, you won't need 4x4, as it does nothing to enhance trailering. But the trailering package will get you increased engine and transmission cooling. You should also get four pin and seven pin electrical plugs. And possibly an integrated brake controller. If you get a truck without the integrated brake controller, you can always buy one on Amazon for less than $150. And that includes a plug and play wiring harness for Chevy/GMC. I imagine Ford and Ram are also plug and play, but you'll need to find out from someone who owns those. If you're buying new, don't let the salesman talk you into buying a truck without the trailering package. Yes, the receiver and electrical plugs are easy to install, but you won't be getting the extra cooling capacity.

And as someone pointed out, gear ratio is something to be considered. My new Silverado with the 5.3 EcoTech engine can tow 9100 lbs with its 3.42 rear end. A 3.73 or 4.10 rear end will get you an extra 1000 or 2000 lbs of tow capacity, but at the expense of fuel economy. I don't expect to tow over 6000 or 7000 lbs, so 3.42 works fine for me. And I get over 20 mpg when not towing, which is most of the time.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:51 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Determine what size truck you really need, then get one at least one size bigger!
Someday you just might decide you need a bigger trailer. Why buy a bigger trailer, then a bigger more powerful truck?
Get the bigger truck now, and when you decide for a larger trailer you are ready for it!
Voice of experience! I decided I would rather have a pickup than a Jeep, so I got rid of the Jeep and found a real nice half ton Dodge Quad Cab with a 360 V8. NICE truck!
Until I towed a 7X14 box trailer loaded with stuff to a flea market a couple hundred miles away. That convinced me I needed more power!
So, I sold the half ton, and got a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins turbo diesel. This thing will tow anything I am likely to want to hook onto!
Yep, someday you might want a longer 6000 lb. trailer. Get the truck you need for it NOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive