Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 07:22 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
To add to my question, not being an automotive genius, I am looking at a pickup truck based on comments I received when discussing towing (from mechanics). I was told something to the effect that it's gear ratio? that is thought about with towing. Even though my Chrysler 300 Hemi has a big engine, it has a higher ratio meant more for get up and go that hauling - is that correct? From what I've read, pickup trucks are geared lower for towing, but not all SUV's are, thus I'd technically be in the same boat as with a car with regards to wear from towing. Am I all wet?

I never thought about a cab shell, but it certainly makes a lot of sense to have one.
My pickup has overdrive. When I am towing, I just lock out the overdrive, and have a lower gear ratio. You want that because it pushes more fluid through the transmission cooler and helps the transmission run cooler. Be sure to maintain your transmission if you tow a lot. I have mine flushed any time I tow through the mountains where I'm pulling really hard. You are better off to downshift and to heck with the gas mileage.

Be sure to install an electric brake controller. Stopping with a trailer is more important than going with one. In my state, a 2000 lb. trailer would not be legal without brakes.

A lumber rack on a pickup is very handy. Even a light weight one will haul 20' supplies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 07:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
metalmancps, you didn't state what kind of pickup- regular cab, extended cab, crewcab. Most of the ones on the road today are of the 4 door crewcab configuration. It will make a difference in what the actual towing capacity is because the the larger trucks weigh more. Your trailer can be towed with ease by any of the standard pickups. You don't need a mega engine to get the job done. My 2014 F150 Supercrew has the smallest engine which is a 3.7 V6 and a 6 speed auto. I can tow up to 6300lbs with it. The little engine has 305 HP\278 ft torque. It comes with a 3.73 axle ratio. I get empty, going down the road, an easy 23mpgs and 17-20 town. So the NEED for a big gas sucking engine isn't necessary. Going with the GM offering, the 5.3 is an economical choice and still have more power than you'll ever use- 355HP/383 ft torque. The engine and running gear are simple and not expensive to maintain. I don't care for the GM glitz inside the truck but you might like it. The Dodge Hemi in a word- isn't. It isn't a Hemi at all. It more like the old GM porcupine head engines or even the old Chrysler poly head engines. The base block assembly is an old 1950's Mercedes engine that Daimler brought with them and revised it. It's been a decent engine. But in a truck, it sucks gas when towing anything. The transmission is a revised 727b from the 60's and it is not very strong with most lasting about 80,000 miles and yes, some go farther but averagely 80,000 is it. The Toyota is a joke and considering the Tundra is scheduled to be dropped in a few years, I'd skip it. The Ford, that's a mixed bag. If buying a 2016, I'd avoid the EcoBoost engines- all of them. They are a direct injected engine and have issues with carbon deposits forming in the intake. The fix is to remove the intake for cleaning. The 2017 F150 will have the updated EcoBoost 3.5 which will have the dual injection system which means it has direct injection AND sequential injection that will eliminate the problem. The engine will mostly run on the sequential injection but when power is needed it switches over to direct injection. Avoid the 2.7 EcoBoost. It eats more gas than the V8 and has had a lot of issues including overheating to the point of failure. So far the 5.0 V8 has been a reliable engine and will get you about 19mpgs hiway in Supercrew form. You'd have 385HP/ 387 ft torque to play with.
So if you were my brother, I would suggest the GM or Ford trucks. The GM with the 5.3 engine is more than you'll need or use and still get decent gas mileage. If buying a 2016, I'd suggest looking at the F150 with a 5.0 engine. Either of the trucks will probably last a lot longer than you'll want it. Both come with loads of safety technology and both will serve you well. And remember, you don't always have a trailer on the hitch. Think about cost to drive it empty too.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:34 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
What is value in opinions from people who never owned a pickup truck?

Old 08-11-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Not exactly the answer to your question, just some stuff from 50 years of owning p/u's.

If you have a need for a bulk hauler the truck is a good option. If you don't, consider an SUV with a towing package. The truck gives you fewer seats so it's less adaptable to everyday life.

If you do decide to go with a truck include the cost of a shell in the price. Shells allow you to carry all the things that didn't fit into the trailer without exposing them to the weather. It can also be a spare bedroom for the relative who has a chainsaw in his sinuses.

Either way, a vehicle with four wheel drive is a good idea if you're going even slightly off the paved roads.
But the op wanted opinions from people who never owned pickup trucks before, at least that's what his thread title shows.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Trapper, why do you say the Tundra is a joke? My '09 Tundra has been a fine truck, it has the smaller 4.7 V8 yet tows a trailer with a Kubota tractor and bush hog with no problem. Im at 92k miles and the only problems I've had have been a water pump and air injection pump, both covered under warranty.

I drive '08 F-150s (5.4) at work and my Tundra makes them seem like cheap throwaways. It's unbelievable the rattles and squeaks those Fords have compared to my Toyota. The transmission in the Tundra also has a better track record compared to the domestics, which is one reason I bought mine.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:24 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
Dodge means transmission problems to me. We only had one Dodge truck and replaced the transmission twice. Years ago, we used International. I go with a Ford and the F150 would probably work for what you are doing. If you are off road at all, you may want to get 4wd as it can help in mud and snow. The Tundra might be work exploring, but could be pricey.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:25 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
To clarify my thread title, I meant it to infer that the question is coming from a person who knows nothing about pickups, and only so much about autos/trucks.

Awesome information here. Thank you very much.

I have a brake controller in my 300C. I want AWD here in the northeast. My 300C is AWD and it handles incredibly well in most conditions, but not always as ice will win the match most of the time. The combo of AWD and my Hemi saved me years ago on the highway, and any vehicle in the future for me requires those two options. In general it sounds that for my trailer which I intend to keep, a pickup truck purchased just for towing is overkill.

I loved my 300C setup, but I can't risk towing with it anymore.

After the 2nd 300C failure which happened 10 miles after the first, 1 mile away from my house, this time towing, I can't risk it going forward because to date the bumper to bumper lifetime warranty has paid. Next incident could end the warranty based on terms. Don't want this to happen again.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:39 PM

Clarification understood, good luck.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:44 PM

171 posts, read 143,095 times
Nice little setup.

I'd go for the small crew cab 4wd V6 that you like the best. It would do everything you need and you don't have to deal with the size of a large truck.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:12 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
As many others have posted, to pull a 1-ton trailer you don't need a full-sized pickup. Still... they do come in handy. My last pickup was a 3/4-ton Ford, 2000 with diesel, but I got it for towing a mid-sized 5-th wheel. Of course, like so many RVers, we didn't have enough truck to tow the size we wanted later. I drove it as my daily driver (traded in a 2-year old Lexus and a 10-year old F250). We ended up keeping it for 14 years. My wife preferred it for cross-country trips whether we were pulling anything in it or not.

My son traded his year-old Escalade earlier this year for a new F150. (He tows a golf cart, and that's about it.) He didn't get the tow package (doesn't need it) and opted for the expensive Titanium Edition, but he says it rides very nearly as well as his Escalade did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive