Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 04:11 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times

Advertisements

i got the toyota and its a nice truck, but they just want too much money for used one, I saw one that had over 100k miles and they still wanted 30 k for it. The new aluminum body ford f150, I am impress with 25 mpg and its a full size. That will be my next truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 04:16 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Based on my limited knowledge, if right now I picked an order of preference:

Dodge
Chevrolet
GMC
Ford
Toyota

I would still prefer a bigger engine as I love my Hemi. Other than normal option choices, which maker would you go for, and why?
Toyota, for this reason: in June 1990, I paid $10200 for my 2WD Toyota pickup. It did not even have a model name. I am fifty-two, so that was half my life ago. I am still driving that pickup, which only has about 139K miles on it. When I paid it off, Bill Clinton was the president. Over the years, beyond regular and religious maintenance, I've probably had to spend about $5K on it. I have helped a lot of people move, clearly overloading it. I have driven it from Washington to Kansas and back. It got t-boned once, by an '83 Cutlass, and I drove away from that accident. The Cutlass lost her front bumper.

I can understand preferring other vehicles for various reasons, but when I open up Consumer Reports and read about the recalls, most of them are American brands. A Toyota recall used to be very rare and is still not so common, especially a serious one.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Toyota, for this reason: in June 1990, I paid $10200 for my 2WD Toyota pickup. It did not even have a model name. I am fifty-two, so that was half my life ago. I am still driving that pickup, which only has about 139K miles on it. When I paid it off, Bill Clinton was the president. Over the years, beyond regular and religious maintenance, I've probably had to spend about $5K on it. I have helped a lot of people move, clearly overloading it. I have driven it from Washington to Kansas and back. It got t-boned once, by an '83 Cutlass, and I drove away from that accident. The Cutlass lost her front bumper.

I can understand preferring other vehicles for various reasons, but when I open up Consumer Reports and read about the recalls, most of them are American brands. A Toyota recall used to be very rare and is still not so common, especially a serious one.
Yep, and they hold their value so well that you can buy one (private party), drive it for a couple of years, and resell it for nearly what you paid for it.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:49 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I thought that a bigger engine would allow for possibly better mpg when towing, compared with a smaller engine. The big engine doesn't work as hard yadayada.

But the video below gives one example of how that is not always true. They tested a Tacoma and a Tundra pulling the same 5600 lbs, which was the max the Tacoma was rated for.

http://youtu.be/_k5FI3dSyLA

Problem is that 4.30 rear end. That is a rear end made for serious hauling, not mileage. So no doubt the other got better mileage because the vehicles themselves are not close to comparable. On the other hand, the 4.30 probably could have pulled the Tacoma and the trailer and been the same mileage.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:48 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
I've had two F-150's. A 2001 4.6 V8 4x4 and a 2008 5.4 V8 4x4. Bought them both used with around 40K miles. The 4.6 lasted 310,000 miles before it started having tranny issues. Sold to my uncle, he swapped out the transmission and still drives it today. The 2008 I sold to my nephew with 225,000 miles on it. Never had one problem and he still drives it today. As long as you take care of them and do regular maintenance, an F-series truck will last a long time. I would LOVE to get my hands on a brand new F150, but I have no need for a truck anymore. Maybe someday.

Not to bash on Chevy but both my father in-law and brother in-law have a 2009 (4.8) and a 2011 (5.3) Silverado and its crazy the amount of money they have put toward repairs. The new ones may be better but I'd never spend a dime on a Chevy after seeing how many problems they've had.

Can't really say much about Dodge. Decent looking trucks, bout it.

Never buy a Toyota or Nissan truck. It's just un-American man!!!

Old 08-12-2016, 09:59 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I tow a camper that is about that heavy fully loaded with gear, and have used a V6 Subaru Outback and a turbo four Lincoln MKC. Both pull the camper pretty effortlessly.
I'm going to vote for the V6 Outback as well. Reliable, good in the snow, far better gas mileage then any pickup and should tow your small camper with ease.

Also, I'm pretty happy with my V6 Toyota 4runner and would highly recommend one. 4WD, 20mpg and a 5000lb towing capacity. I had a Tundra that was very reliable but that would be far more vehicle then you would ever need.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:07 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Problem is that 4.30 rear end. That is a rear end made for serious hauling, not mileage. So no doubt the other got better mileage because the vehicles themselves are not close to comparable. On the other hand, the 4.30 probably could have pulled the Tacoma and the trailer and been the same mileage.
Yes, and that was mentioned in the video as one of the factors.

But if someone is not going to tow a heavy trailer, it makes sense not to go for massive overkill, and save a little gas. OTOH, living in a mountainous area could make the massive overkill not so massive after all.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:15 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I'm going to vote for the V6 Outback as well. Reliable, good in the snow, far better gas mileage then any pickup and should tow your small camper with ease.

Also, I'm pretty happy with my V6 Toyota 4runner and would highly recommend one. 4WD, 20mpg and a 5000lb towing capacity. I had a Tundra that was very reliable but that would be far more vehicle then you would ever need.

The problem with Subaru is their CVT transmission. CVTs are lousy when it comes to towing.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:48 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
I miss owning a pickup, but these days I don't know what I'd buy. My nephew bought 2 consecutive brand new Chevys-both had horrid oil consumption-1-3 quarts/1000 miles, and ran into that at less than 30k on the truck. Seems they have issues with their cylinder deactivation system. Ford had their issues as well. The 6.0 diesel comes to mind. These were in premium, HD trucks. Trucks that sold for $60-70k-back when that was a lot of money. These were sold under the premise that HD diesels have a long life span-400k miles or better used to be common. Yet due to design defects, engines were failing at <80k miles-leading to many thousand $$ repairs. OK-design screw-ups happen, I get that. Problem is that Ford refused to stand behind their bad product and fix them on their dime. Not to mention that the aluminum bed on the new F-150 is about as tough as a wet paper towel. I'll probably never own a Ford again. Toyota-underdesign frames. Even today they are very thin and flexible-in the past they were so bad that after they rusted a bit the trucks literally broke in two.

If I were in the position of the OP, I'd look at the Dodge Ecodiesel 1/2 ton. Excellent fuel economy, very decent performance.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:26 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I miss owning a pickup, but these days I don't know what I'd buy. My nephew bought 2 consecutive brand new Chevys-both had horrid oil consumption-1-3 quarts/1000 miles, and ran into that at less than 30k on the truck. Seems they have issues with their cylinder deactivation system. Ford had their issues as well. The 6.0 diesel comes to mind. These were in premium, HD trucks. Trucks that sold for $60-70k-back when that was a lot of money. These were sold under the premise that HD diesels have a long life span-400k miles or better used to be common. Yet due to design defects, engines were failing at <80k miles-leading to many thousand $$ repairs. OK-design screw-ups happen, I get that. Problem is that Ford refused to stand behind their bad product and fix them on their dime. Not to mention that the aluminum bed on the new F-150 is about as tough as a wet paper towel. I'll probably never own a Ford again. Toyota-underdesign frames. Even today they are very thin and flexible-in the past they were so bad that after they rusted a bit the trucks literally broke in two.

If I were in the position of the OP, I'd look at the Dodge Ecodiesel 1/2 ton. Excellent fuel economy, very decent performance.

The Chevy oil problem seems to have be fixed. My 2016 5.3 doesn't use any oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive