Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:26 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times

Advertisements

I know it was real popular in the early 2000s but I don't see them around much anymore. Seems like yesterday you couldn't drive around anywhere without seeing an S-10 tuckin' 20's or a bagged Nissain Hardbody. I saw a bagged and shaved Ranger the other day and thought to myself, "man I haven't seen one of those in years."

My first vehicle was a Mazda B-series truck. Only had a few mods but it was a great truck and I had a blast hanging out with the mini truck guys. A lot more laid back and fun than the wannabe thug import guys or the old muscle car dudes.

Maybe I just don't see them much anymore because I moved from rust free Atlanta to the land of Subarus and AWD SUV's (upstate NY). So what do you all think? Is the minitruck/street truck scene alive and well, or dead and gone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 09:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I think most of the kids that did that back then grew up and lost interest, and of course now, there are no more mini trucks being made. My first truck was a 1973 Ford Courier, later a 1987 B2000, a 1972 El Camino, and still have a 2007 Ranger that I use for hauling when needed, some off road and in winter. I have never been into the lowering and custom thing, and I don't remember it being big here, we had more of the "ricer" car movement.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I think most of the kids that did that back then grew up and lost interest, and of course now, there are no more mini trucks being made. My first truck was a 1973 Ford Courier, later a 1987 B2000, a 1972 El Camino, and still have a 2007 Ranger that I use for hauling when needed, some off road and in winter. I have never been into the lowering and custom thing, and I don't remember it being big here, we had more of the "ricer" car movement.
Oh the ricer movement was much bigger in Atlanta than the minitruck scene. But it was still pretty big nonetheless. And don't even get me started on the "donk" scene. Which is still (unfortunately) alive and well in the Atlanta area.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:57 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
The whole automotive enthusiast scene has changed, actually disappeared. Today's young don't really care about cars the way we used to. My son doesn't give a hoot what is under the hood. I don't think he has even lifted the hood up but then again what is to wonder about in a RAV4. You can't touch new cars anyway. Backup camera, navigation, bluetooth and hands free have taken over free flow exhaust and "hot" cams.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The whole automotive enthusiast scene has changed, actually disappeared. Today's young don't really care about cars the way we used to. My son doesn't give a hoot what is under the hood. I don't think he has even lifted the hood up but then again what is to wonder about in a RAV4. You can't touch new cars anyway. Backup camera, navigation, bluetooth and hands free have taken over free flow exhaust and "hot" cams.
Great point! It's kind of sad though. Some of the best friends I've ever had I met strictly through cars (car clubs, car shows, at the "legal" drags lol). But you're right, most kids could care less about cars these days. I remember getting my license on my 16ty bday and it was one of the best days of my life. I can also still remember how excited I was the first time I started up my 05 Mustang GT after I had a borla cat back installed on it back when I was 21 years old.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:37 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I would have disagreed with you until 2 weeks ago. My brother in law bought a 2016 Camaro. He has no clue what engine is in it. He's 30 yrs old.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I would have disagreed with you until 2 weeks ago. My brother in law bought a 2016 Camaro. He has no clue what engine is in it. He's 30 yrs old.
That's another thing. I can't believe the amount of "men" who know absolutely NOTHING about cars these days. I'm not saying every man should be a full blown mechanic (I'm sure not) but c'mon!

Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I go to classic car shows and swap meets, and there are still young people that are enthusiasts. The difference is in the numbers, back in the day all of us guys were into cars and did a lot of our own maintenance and upgrades. Then we would all cruise, back and forth for hours on Friday nights. Now most of us at the shows are 60 or more, especially the owners, but shows on cable channels like Velocity are helping to promote the classic muscle cars. I get a lot of looks and comments on my 2013 Challenger, but most are from people over 40. At the local high school (3) parking lots, most of the vehicles are Mom's CUV or mid sized SUV.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I go to classic car shows and swap meets, and there are still young people that are enthusiasts. The difference is in the numbers, back in the day all of us guys were into cars and did a lot of our own maintenance and upgrades. Then we would all cruise, back and forth for hours on Friday nights. Now most of us at the shows are 60 or more, especially the owners, but shows on cable channels like Velocity are helping to promote the classic muscle cars. I get a lot of looks and comments on my 2013 Challenger, but most are from people over 40. At the local high school (3) parking lots, most of the vehicles are Mom's CUV or mid sized SUV.
I agree. I mean as long as there are cars there will be car enthusiast. Just seems like that number is rapidly declining. Last semester in one of my college classes (I'm 29 btw) out of around 30 people in my class, only myself and one another guy knew how to drive a manual transmission. He was older as well. Pretty sad if you ask me. My dream car has always been an 03/04 Cobra. I don't think most of the youngsters these days would even know what to do with that car. Maybe have to get an automatic tranny swap, lol.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:00 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
That's another thing. I can't believe the amount of "men" who know absolutely NOTHING about cars these days. I'm not saying every man should be a full blown mechanic (I'm sure not) but c'mon!

I know what you mean. All day long at work I help people solve mechanical questions and it always amazes me that some men have no clue how to do the most simple task. I draw them pictures, show them YouTube videos, and they end up saying "Do you know anyone who does this so I can hire them to do it !"

As for lowrider trucks, both of my sons had bagged S10's, stepped frames and all. But they outgrew that part of the hobby about 15 years ago and have moved onto muscle cars and hot rods now.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive