Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 01:54 PM

576 posts, read 824,213 times

Advertisements

I passed my theory test and my G2 on my first try but I failed the final road test because I made an illegal right turn.I thought I had it in the bag until I made red right turn on red light .The thing is, I'm familiar with the route and I drove it over and over with my instructor..so I knew I could make the right turn once it's clear of traffic.However,they recently put a sign that says you can't make a right turn when the light is red anymore that I wasn't aware of.So when I got there with examiner ,I automatically made the right turn once it was safe since I already know the route.I usually check for signs if I'm not familiar with the route or if it's my first time.It was an automatic failure...a fair one at that. I wasn't upset because I knew they had the right to fail me.He told me that I would have passed if I hadn't ran a red light

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 02:27 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
I always remember my first attempt to get my motorcycle license at 15. After passing the written and getting the OK for driving test I came blaring around the corner on my bike and made an abrupt stop in front of the officer. He sent me home and said 'maybe tomorrow you will slow down and pull up carefully'.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
I passed my theory test and my G2 on my first try but I failed the final road test because I made an illegal right turn.I thought I had it in the bag until I made red right turn on red light .The thing is, I'm familiar with the route and I drove it over and over with my instructor..so I knew I could make the right turn once it's clear of traffic.However,they recently put a sign that says you can't make a right turn when the light is red anymore that I wasn't aware of.So when I got there with examiner ,I automatically made the right turn once it was safe since I already know the route.I usually check for signs if I'm not familiar with the route or if it's my first time.It was an automatic failure...a fair one at that. I wasn't upset because I knew they had the right to fail me.He told me that I would have passed if I hadn't ran a red light

How about you?
never failed a driving test, but that is a good object lesson to make sure that no new signage is put up at an intersection, and to make sure you take everything in before committing to an action.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
when I was a teen, I failed the road test in NYC because the stop sign was at least 200 ft away from the intersection. I stopped at the crosswalk and failed even though I did everything else (parallel parking, U turn, changing lanes, left and right turns in city traffic) fine.

I had an uncle who couldn't drive for beans. He put $200 down to bribe the instructor and passed but didn't get very far with his first/last used car. Luckily he didn't kill anybody. He stopped driving after his first accident.

When it was my daughter's turn for the road test after we relocated to the south, I briefly mentioned how to use the high beams to her but she was half listening and almost failed but managed to fumble the high beams and continued with the road test which involved driving around the corner (ie no parking, no left turns, no u turns). She passed on the first try but her friend was not as lucky. He failed because he didn't know how to lock the brights.

Her friend didn't do well but passed anyway. The instructor told her to stay off the road for a few months (weird!) as a favor for passing her. she has scratched 2 of her parents cars in the first year of driving.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:21 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Showed up drunk.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:29 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Showed up drunk.
HAHA!! That's funny.

I couldn't parallel park, and I scared the crap out of the examiner.

She was the first of so very many.

I passed the second time though!

Old 08-14-2016, 04:38 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
HAHA!! That's funny.

I couldn't parallel park, and I scared the crap out of the examiner.

She was the first of so very many.

I passed the second time though!
I came back the next day and did the motorcycle course perfectly. The examiner took my first test out of a folder and tore it up.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:43 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
In high school, I had a friend named Jonathan.
Now this was a staid and steady fellow.
Ultra responsible. Calm. Stable.
So all the parents loved him.

They always made us let him drive if we carpooled somewhere far away (like over to Ft Worth to see the water gardens, etc).

The thing that made no sense was that he failed his driving test THREE TIMES.

And, on that aforementioned trip to Ft Worth, he sat at a stop sign outside the gardens so long, we realized he was waiting for it to turn green (totally still razz him about this 23 years later, btw).

Old 08-14-2016, 04:47 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Knew one guy in my class who failed the first and second time. He was not good at book study and taking test. He aced the driving but failed the written. Some people are the reverse. They ace the written then panic and fail the driving.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:52 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I came back the next day and did the motorcycle course perfectly. The examiner took my first test out of a folder and tore it up.
Right on! I had to wait a week. But I got it the second time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive