Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:09 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
My bike was overheating in the summer stop-and-slow traffic, so I was scooting along the fog line with my feet dragging, trying to make it clear I wasn't trying to get over on anybody. One guy decided he didn't like that and popped his door open. Bad move. My wheel touched the door and I presented him with a surprise. My left glove has a pepper spray dispenser built into the back.
No, no one has done that to me. Most of the situations that have occurred to me were the result of driver stupidity or lack of awareness rather than malice aforethought. I see some of those utube videos of bikers 'lane-splitting' (which I was occasionally guilty of in my younger days) and I shudder because I have seen too many cars suddenly try to change lanes, or somebody open a door to spit, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:18 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
Quote:
My bike was overheating in the summer stop-and-slow traffic, so I was scooting along the fog line with my feet dragging, trying to make it clear I wasn't trying to get over on anybody. One guy decided he didn't like that and popped his door open. Bad move. My wheel touched the door and I presented him with a surprise. My left glove has a pepper spray dispenser built into the back.
Is this your bike?

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20090617181602

Old 08-15-2016, 12:22 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
A driver got pulled over for speeding on a busy highway. When the cop walked up to the driver's window, the driver chose to argue.

"I was only going as fast as everyone else on this road - why did you pick ME?"

"Ever go fishing?" asked the cop.

"Sure I have. What's your point?" replied the driver.

"Catch every one?" the cop asked, with a smile.

Another punch line to this. "You are the one who stopped"

Years ago I was driving my work truck on the highway and 4-5 cars all speeding in a group maybe 5-10 miles over the limit came zipping up as a pack to me, we all went through a speed trap where a trooper on a motorcycle was in the break down lane. A bit further up the highway were several troopers in marked cars and one practically came out onto the highway and pointed to each of those cars to pull over which they did.

The Troopers were making a killing that day.

I don't see anything wrong with going up to 5 miles over the limit if conditions warrant to do so safely but anymore you are asking to be noticed and stopped.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:22 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Nope, mine's a '37 Flattie.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
No, no one has done that to me. Most of the situations that have occurred to me were the result of driver stupidity or lack of awareness rather than malice aforethought. I see some of those utube videos of bikers 'lane-splitting' (which I was occasionally guilty of in my younger days) and I shudder because I have seen too many cars suddenly try to change lanes, or somebody open a door to spit, etc.
I don't lane split. You double the chance of running into a self-righteous ass hole that way.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:42 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
One thing I have always noticed with the "go with the flow of traffic" justification for speeding crowd is that if the flow of traffic, for whatever reason, is slower than they want or feel they NEED to drive that they suddenly aren't advocating that any longer, at least not for themselves. All of the traffic is supposed to ignore the speed limit and whatever hazard/condition might be causing them to be slower and speed up so that the flow of traffic is faster, always FASTER! Funny how that is.
How do they make others drive faster ? What I see is one person doing 80 and weaving in and out of traffic, while everyone else is going 60. And yes, that person is likely to be pulled over--even in 'California.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:13 PM

It's the nail that sticks up that gets hammered down. I hang with a crowd that isn't trying to achieve warp 11. I might get there as quick as others, but I don't have to eyeball the rearview every few seconds either.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:19 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Quote:
I don't lane split. You double the chance of running into a self-righteous ass hole that way.
Ah, you mean someone who thinks that motorcyclists should have to follow the same rules as everyone else? How dare they! And I love that you think assaulting someone with pepper spray is a good idea - likely to get you shot around here.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Ah, you mean someone who thinks that motorcyclists should have to follow the same rules as everyone else? How dare they!
The CHP would rather have a person scooting carefully down the break down lane than blocking traffic. They're funny that way.
Quote:
And I love that you think assaulting someone with pepper spray is a good idea - likely to get you shot around here.
The dude tried to hurt me, that basic assault that you mentioned. I inconvenienced him in return. He wasn't the driver so there was no hazard.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:35 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
Staying in the right lane only all the time 24/7 is like the people that line up for miles when a lane closed ahead sign comes up and leave leave miles of highway unused. Zipper merging is better. Imagine if everyone at the supermarket used only one cash register.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive