Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 04:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Why do so many men refer to their vehicle as "she"?
Obviously the vehicle does not have a vagina.
Matter of fact, being a machine, it has absolutely no sex gender.
The correct phrase when talking about one's vehicle would be, my car, my truck, my suv.
Why do guys insist on calling their car she?
I never hear women call their vehicles she, or for that matter, he.

Bob.
Well, now you have. I name them, too. Vehicles have personalities (and that you don't know this is a little sad), and those personalities can be male or female. In our family, we have Ruby (my CRV), Tommy (my husband's Camry), and Sam (was my, now his, Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel pickup - couldn't quite tell the gender when I got Sam, thus the name which could be either - after over a decade, he's definitely male).

Old 08-16-2016, 04:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
"I am a Ferrari. Like a naughty lady, I like to be abused a little. I love to be loved, but push me over the limit and I will kill you." - unknown source
Seems I must spread some Reputation around a little before giving it to you again. So here's a tip of the hat to you.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:38 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,759 times
OK, my daily driver is named Victoria, from Ellen Mirren's role in the movie RED.
RED (2010) - IMDb

It's a 2003 BMW 530i in near perfect condition.

Although it has years on it, on the outside, she's still beautiful.
On the inside, there's a huge can of whoop-ass.
It has more finesse, grace and refinement than peers half the age.

BTW - I also have a female name for my GPS. I call her "Blondie". She can't find her way out of a hat.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Bob, every so often a person will be agender or androgynous. They really feel no identification as either man or woman. Perhaps you have an androgynous vehicle.

My vehicle is definitely a female. Pretty, classy, sleek, hardworking, faithful, and reliable. I can count on her.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:53 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
This subject always shows who is educated and who isn't. Gender has been part of language forever, and machines of various sorts are feminine in most languages. Instead of letting it bother you, learn something about your own language (as well as others).
It's the current trans-gender craze that seems to be confusing people, or so it seems.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:56 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Because 'she' excites me...no further explanation needed.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:10 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
MY wife and I both have Scion xB's... Everybody calls these cars a Box..So that is what we call ours..

Old 08-16-2016, 06:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
OK, my daily driver is named Victoria, from Ellen Mirren's role in the movie RED.
RED (2010) - IMDb

It's a 2003 BMW 530i in near perfect condition.

Although it has years on it, on the outside, she's still beautiful.
On the inside, there's a huge can of whoop-ass.
It has more finesse, grace and refinement than peers half the age.

BTW - I also have a female name for my GPS. I call her "Blondie". She can't find her way out of a hat.
that would be HELLEN mirren in red and red 2. and she was a true lady who wouldnt hesitate to kill you. i have driven and owner cars like that.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:30 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, now you have. I name them, too. Vehicles have personalities (and that you don't know this is a little sad), and those personalities can be male or female. In our family, we have Ruby (my CRV), Tommy (my husband's Camry), and Sam (was my, now his, Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel pickup - couldn't quite tell the gender when I got Sam, thus the name which could be either - after over a decade, he's definitely male).
How do you know "sam" was definitely male?
Did you get male pleasure from it?
Saying he's definitely male is absolutely ridiculous.
For C sake, you are talking about a vehicle, not a human.

Bob.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:53 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Why do so many men refer to their vehicle as "she"?
Obviously the vehicle does not have a vagina.
Matter of fact, being a machine, it has absolutely no sex gender.
The correct phrase when talking about one's vehicle would be, my car, my truck, my suv.
Why do guys insist on calling their car she?
I never hear women call their vehicles she, or for that matter, he.

Bob.
My first car was a '69 VW Fastback. Forest green. Her name was Lola - because whatever Lola wants, Lola gets.

I had another vehicle known as the Tetanusmobile. Gender neutral.

And yet another car (van, actually) known as the TestosteroneMobile. Manual transmission, three on the tree, no power steering, no power brakes, driving it more than 2 or 3 times a month meant I was taking the risk of a spontaneous sex change. Definitely a male creature.

Those are the only cars I've ever named but I did name them. So women DO sometimes name their cars, but I think we're way more flexible about assigning "gender identities" than are most men, LOL!

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Its just for fun. Nobody thinks their cars are actually alive. Why does it offend you so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive