Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 07:10 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,043 times

Advertisements

The vehicle was donated and not sold, so no bill of sale. The charity was supposed to send me a form for tax purposes telling me how much the vehicle sold at auction and that would be considered my charitable amount but so far they have not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 07:56 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Your responsibility ended the moment you donated it to charity. They should have given you a bill of sale or some other form of documentation that the vehicle was no longer in your possession. Then you can sign an affidavit to prove to the state if something crazy happens like it is used in a heist or they want you to open an insurance policy on it.
It's a stretch from the point you were making, but it made me think of this... There can be other consequences once a vehicle leaves your possession.

Remember that guy that traded in his pick-up truck and it was later put to use by ISIS fighters, with his company name and phone still on the door!!!

That led to a social dilemma for the guy, even though he did nothing wrong.

Plumber sues auctioneer after truck shown with terrorists - CNN.com

Old 08-20-2016, 08:52 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
you deduct the greater of $500 or the amount it sold for from your taxes.
And, IIRC, if you're filing federal you need $12,000 worth of deductions before you can itemize.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:11 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
It's a stretch from the point you were making, but it made me think of this... There can be other consequences once a vehicle leaves your possession.

Remember that guy that traded in his pick-up truck and it was later put to use by ISIS fighters, with his company name and phone still on the door!!!

That led to a social dilemma for the guy, even though he did nothing wrong.

Plumber sues auctioneer after truck shown with terrorists - CNN.com
That's kind of funny, but how can he sue? Isn't it his own responsibility to remove the company name and phone number? Note: was not able to read the CNn story, so going by your description.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:20 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
The vehicle was donated and not sold, so no bill of sale. The charity was supposed to send me a form for tax purposes telling me how much the vehicle sold at auction and that would be considered my charitable amount but so far they have not.
it probably defaults as a charitable donation of $500. it didn't sell at auction (or sold for less than $500) so the charity probably didnt bother with processing the paperwork. the car is probably a pile of parts at the junkyard by now.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:51 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
But you still sign your states end of possession form. Your dmv has the answer.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:32 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Your responsibility ended the moment you donated it to charity. .

No necessarily. I too live in Florida and a couple of years ago I sold a car on Craigslist. A girl bought it, paid cash, and I had an uneasy feeling about her not transferring the title right away. So I went to the local Tax Collectors Office (that is our DMV here) and signed a form that said I no longer owned that car. That released me from any liability.

Lucky that I did, because I googled her name a little later and she was arrested for driving MY CAR with no valid drivers license and plates from another car on it. She had never transferred the title to her name. I could possibly have been liable if she had been in a wreck or some other problem.

Go to the tax office today and fill out that form.

Don

Old 08-20-2016, 03:11 PM

844 posts, read 1,443,241 times
Quote:
I donate a pickup truck to a charity over a month and a half ago and the title with the DMV is still in my name. How long does it usually take for the cars to be transferred over to the new owner and what if it never does? How would I get my name off as the listed owner from the DMV? The truck is not in my possession anymore.
It's probably in a junkyard by now.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:32 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's kind of funny, but how can he sue? Isn't it his own responsibility to remove the company name and phone number? Note: was not able to read the CNn story, so going by your description.
The guy says the dealer told him not to remove the graphics as it may damage the paint. They said they would do it for him.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:38 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
You're still liable until you get your name off of the title. Someone could be using it now.
Even a scrapyard will need the title for salvage purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive